Rob's 7mm Rolling Stock Workbench

Further progress on the detailing of the NBR CCT ensued this weekend.

Not the best couple of photo's in the world but they show what's been done. 

Steps fitted

Brake handwheels and mounting blocks

Brake cylinder crank

Vacuum/steam heat pipe (I am not 100% sure which it is) and yes it is so wavy in the photo that I used in Historic Carriage Drawings Vol3 NPCS.

IMG_0865_zpskwccobjo.jpg

IMG_0870_zpsfdoufgmw.jpg

Lastly one of the steps before fitting.

IMG_0860_zpsyy7qmwet.jpg

Next up is a rummage in my spares box to see what I have in the way of grab and Tee handles.

• Like 3

In between detailing the NBR CCT I was also detailing the NER CCT and the NER G2 (I do hope that you are keeping up....)

This is the first use of my silhouette cut clasp brakes. I plan to use Parkside brake yokes etc. but I may look at cutting my own at some point.

IMG_0880_zpsrdg3wkiy.jpg

• Like 4

Another weekend and a couple of hours, on a couple of evenings, has seen the NBR CCT almost finished. In terms of detailing that is - I need one more steam heat pipe for one end. All that's left is more paint and transfers. Then glazing and fit the roof which is just placed on for the photos

IMG_0899_zpsxhuxjeks.jpg

IMG_0895_zpsbpkuaqt0.jpg

• Like 4

Well the end is in sight and this one is almost ready for the small adds.

The only thing that's left (unless I discover something else) is to glue to roof on.

IMG_0968_zpsurhfnttn.jpg

IMG_0973_zpssbtcjm9p.jpg

And finally a close up of the transfers that I had commissioned from Precision Labels (I took the opportunity to get a second set LNER set at the same time for the one that I plan to build for me.

IMG_0978_zpsdwy8h5yy.jpg

• Like 3

Well the end is in sight and this one is almost ready for the small adds.

The only thing that's left (unless I discover something else) is to glue to roof on.

IMG_0968_zpsurhfnttn.jpg

IMG_0973_zpssbtcjm9p.jpg

And finally a close up of the transfers that I had commissioned from Precision Labels (I took the opportunity to get a second set LNER set at the same time for the one that I plan to build for me.

IMG_0978_zpsdwy8h5yy.jpg

Very nice Rob, looks great whos transfers did you use ?  

• Like 1

Hi George,

I commissioned them from John Peck at Precision Labels based on information in the Scottish Volume of LNER Wagons by Peter Tatlow and a bit of guesswork from photos on the tinterweb. I only had one quite poor photo and a line drawing of the actual van to work from.

• 3 weeks later...
I was really thrilled that I was awarded Runner up and Commended for some of my entries into the Rolling Stock category of the modelling competition at Guildex on Saturday. It was especially satisfying that my efforts were placed from such high quality entries in the Guilds 60th Anniversary year.

It's also a first for me, not being interested in sport or other competitive pursuits, the only thing that I have ever won before this, was a tin of biscuits in a raffleroflmao.png

The commended  award was for my Condemned ex NBR  Jubilee van.

IMG_1173_zpsohnveup0.jpg

Besides the Condemned Van, I also submitted an LNER (ex NBR) goods train broken up into five separate entries (comprising: models built from Connoisseur kit's, models built from Parkside Dundas kits, models built from Dragon Models kit's and scratch built models).

The runner up award was for the scratch built section of the train. Most of which are pictured below (there is one of the beaded jubilee vans missing because I couldn't fit it onto my diorama).

IMG_1183_zpsjv0qtvlq.jpg

Apparently, it was this particular model from the selection that carried the day, this was built the old fashioned way before I got the Silhouette cutter.
IMG_1188_zps1zaedtu2.jpg

• Like 10

Another item that I finished in time for Telford and entered into the modelling competition is the GNSR vacuum cleaner wagon.

IMG_1193_zpsunbtp6lm.jpg

IMG_1163_zpsxkqtm8z2.jpg

IMG_1158_zpsnc53zk5z.jpg

IMG_1153_zpsusqvinlw.jpg

IMG_1148_zpssqcqhnp4.jpg

IMG_1143_zpsj2vtoirv.jpg

IMG_1138_zps76tahwfs.jpg

You will note from the first photo that I added an extra broom since the lower shots were taken - the brooms are scratch built using plastic rod and the ubiquitous lens tissue for the bristles.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
This weekend was a busy one so I didn't get much in the way of modelling done. I did manage to make a little progress on the NER vans getting some door furniture and a roof on the G1

IMG_1364_zpsytg9ra75.jpg

It looks a little flat in the middle which I think is a trick of the light because it doesn't look flat in the flesh.

I had previously put "canvas on the roof of the G2 but took it off because I hadn't got the supports for the opening canvas roof in the right place. I moved them inwards and then re "canvassed" the roof ends using the usual lense tissue and I also made up the opening section with two layers of tissue and some 0.75mm square section rod carefully cut to length and spaced out. This when coated with pva and stretched onto the roof has given a very good result when compared to the photos of examples with canvas roof hatches in Tatlow.

IMG_1358_zpstnvj0sdc.jpg

IMG_1353_zpsqa8htdt1.jpg

IMG_1348_zpskpj6kei6.jpg

IMG_1369_zps6zwq7mug.jpg

IMG_1374_zpsxoxwznf9.jpg

Those with longer memories than me will note that one of the V hangers is missing. I have removed it to make this one of the vacuum fitted examples for variety since I have a brass kit for a vertical planked version which is unfitted in the stash to build.

• Like 4

For a future project I found myself in need of a veteran car or two. Having looked around I was quite surprised at how much whitemetal kits were fetching. 

I was watching a few models of yesteryear/Lledo types on eBay when I chanced up on a link to Danbury Mint Pewter vehicles. One of the ranges produced were to a nominal 1:43 scale and I had a few on watch when I chanced up upon three that were listed as spares/repairs at £15 for the three buy it now or best offer. I offered £10 and it was accepted. When they were delivered I was soon able to solder the broken wheels and straighten out the bent window frames which seemed to be the limit of the issues.

Like Heather with her milk float I intend to add glazing and paint etc.

IMG_1459_zps6ante2iz.jpg

IMG_1464_zpspkhbximk.jpg

1904 Rolls Royce Silver Ghost

IMG_1469_zpswotfnfzq.jpg

IMG_1474_zpssy4c5rwz.jpg

1936 Jaguar SS/100

IMG_1479_zpsmz0yyvzb.jpg

IMG_1484_zpszn381xxp.jpg

1948 MG TC - this last one is right at the extreme end of my modelling era but that shouldn't matter with what I have planned for it.

IMG_1489_zps43sipvaq.jpg

All in all an interesting side project and I would recommend looking at the Danbury/Franklin Mint 1:43 ranges because they have done cars right up to the 1980's and can be picked up at reasonable prices - some of them are complete and painted too but as you might imagine they fetch a bit more.
  • Like 7

A couple of years or so ago I talk to Phil at Intentio about some occupied arches for my diorama board. At the time what Phil needed to charge to produce them was more than I could justify for a diorama for taking photos. So I left it at that and I pretty much forgot about it.

Whilst mooching around Telford we happened upon the LCUT Creative stand who had plain infilled arches and a couple of options of occupied versions all for just under £8.00 each. Having asked for measurements and worked out that three arches would create a backdrop for the diorama for just under £25 I decided that I could better justify the outlay.

Now it has to be said that they are made from a very thin fibreboard and can't in any way be compared to what Phil produces but they will serve the purpose.

I had to use some of the offcuts as packing pieces to allow them to sit back against a piece of plywood that I cut to support them - this is because they come supplied with an internal sections which represents the inside of the parapet but I chose not to use is because I plan to use the spare pieces for something else.

Chris came up with the idea of printing of some old workshop scenes from the internet and sticking them behind the glazing on the windows and this is what it looks like before it get's any paint on it.

IMG_1608_zps43sfsjqm.jpg

IMG_1609_zpsgukqqi6t.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
A particularly busy week at work didn't leave much energy or enthusiasm for modelling last week. I did get a few bits and pieces done though.

The first relates to my last post on the occupied arches. Chris asked if I could make some Pattress Plates that were used to strengthen buildings and bridges to further enhance the arches. Inkscape to the fore and I soon had some parts draw up and cut out.

They are made up from multi layers of 20thou sheet and sadly I didn't take photos of the finished articles before sloshing on the paint but here they are before fitting to the arches.

IMG_1750_zpshsq87xt7.jpg

On my long term "want to try that" list has been Vallejo Crackle medium, which is used to represent peeling cracking or flaking paint.  None of the usual haunts that I normally buy my supplies of Vallejo paint from seem to stock it and I am far too tight to pay postage to get some from eBay. Which pretty much doubles the cost. 

Having done a search for it on eBay I noticed that Jackson Art supplies stock it and they are one of the places that Chris uses for her art supplies. I asked if she would add some to her order the next time she placed one which she did last week.  - She waits  until she needs enough supplies to qualify for free postage.... We are from the People's Republic of Yorkshire after all.

When I knew it was on it's way I thought what shall I use to test it and I could have used a square of styrene but no... I though perhaps I could could a couple of door sized pieces and cut some grooves to represent planks. 

Which I did, then I thought I could add rails and stiles (I think that's what they call them?) to the back and perhaps a couple of hinges on one to look like a door that's been taken of for disposal or repair. Then I thought ah yes but the type of doors that I am representing have "Snecks" (or that's what we call the  round 'ere) which meant that I would need to add a couple of pattress plates (see the theme developing).

Finally I got around to doing some actual painting and testing of the crackle  medium. I have read various reviews and it seemed that many people didn't really get on with it. I suspect that in the main that's because the instructions are sparse to say the least - paint surface with acrylic paint, don't shake the bottle, apply to the surface and allow to dry thoroughly (small cracks) over paint with a contrasting colour. For larger cracks overpain while still tacky.

Now peoples biggest issue seems to be that while overpainting you can have a tendency to drag the paint off removing your nicely cracked surface - see the brown door.

Having done the brown door and experienced just that effect albeit that I think that it looks okay bearing in mind how much magnification there is on the images.

On the second (blue) door I watered down the paint quite significantly and did the cover in a single stroke making sure that I didn't touch it again with the brush once an area had been covered this gave a much better effect that does look like well worn paint work. 

I plan to do some more tests but using the airbrush to apply the second coat to see what effect that has.

IMG_1756_zpssxaps3xv.jpg

IMG_1762_zpssxk4gt7y.jpg

I tried variations of the above techniques on the backs and to be honest I am not that happy with any of them.

IMG_1768_zpsctrtno4y.jpg 

and finally the "sneck"

I couldn't resist distressing the bottoms of the doors to look like they have rotted away like so many outside toilet doors of my youth. 

• Like 1

I finally got around to taking some photos of the Occupied Arches now that they are painted and the Pattress Plates are fitted. I just need to make some business signs to finish it off now.

The doors are really quite flimsy and they buckled quite scarily when the paint was applied but they went back thankfully as they dried.

IMG_1798_zps7qlzlgdm.jpg

IMG_17981_zpsh4ksugik.jpg

IMG_17983_zpsr45wol9k.jpg

IMG_17982_zpsyokkqlh1.jpg

• Like 2

I drew up some sign boards in Inkscape then didn't have time to cut them out so having spent much longer at Hartlepool show than I originally intended, I resorted to good old scratch building  for them. - too busy catching up with people. 

The biggest shock of all,  apart from drinks and sandwiches for lunch I didn't spend a penny. - Worth noting for the future, the food and drink was excellent quality and value for money. I am not sure what the attendance was like on Sunday but Saturday looked to be very well attended.

Diarama%20Sign%20Boards_zpsihyf0gck.jpg

• Like 1

A project that I am working on in the day job is coming up to go live on Monday so I haven't had much in the way of head space for modelling during the week for the last couple of weeks. This means that I am quite happy to report that a little more progress has been made on the sign boards if not on anything else.

Diarama%20Sign%20Boards-ready%20for%20fi

Both are/were genuine local companies, Startrite are still in existance about 6 miles away on the outskirts of Leeds

• Like 5

Cheers

Those blue and brown doors are excellent.  Not as good a paint job on the rears though. I think a bit of mucky weathering should cure them.

Great workmanship.

Cheers Ken,

They were very much an experiment t see how it worked but I tried too hard on the backs - I could always clean them off and start again which I might do depending on what I ultimately use the doors for because it might not matter.

The sign bug seems to have bitten....

No business of old is complete without a few enamel signs.

Enamel%20Sign%20Prints_zpsvqyxbsti.jpg

They started as images downloaded from the web, resized and printed on my laserjet.

Then they were cut out and stuck with pva, to some offcuts of 20 thou styrene sheet. I have an old washing up bowl under the table where my Silhouette is into which I place offcuts. Besides being a tight Yorkshireman, such is the ability with Silhouette Studio to place the object on the cutting mat where you like, you can do test cuts on the smallest of pieces.

Once dry, having cut them out and stuck them last night, I then stuck a strip of sellotape over them as being simpler than messing about varnish something so small. I then trimmed the excess sellotape and cut the signs from the strip that I had stuck them to. 

Finally I really wanted them to show their age a bit, because one of the signs has a date of 1911 on it so by grouping they would have been around a while.

The aging was done with the aid of a strong light, a magnifier and a very fine brush along with an enlarged online image of a battered enamel sign as a guide. - My eyes still ache...

Enamel%20Signs_zpsc8nzwp22.jpg

Enamel%20Signs-%20ruler_zpsv9c7t2ag.jpg

I scanned them again including a ruler to show just how small they are.

Enamel%20Signs-%20ruler150_zpsy1wzyi1w.j

And finally I scanned them a third time at a lower resolution to give an idea of how they will look from normal viewing distances.

• Like 3