The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

BBC unveils F1 commentry changes

Pannier Tank

What he's said :lol:

DC and Martin Brundle should be a good pairing and they both know their stuff - contrast with Jonathan Legard seemed to witter on a lot, and it wasn't always accurate info...

Good news is the 5 live lineup are the same too, so the practice sessions will still have David Croft and Anthony Davidson - the provide good commentry and banter IMO. Only change is Holly Samos being replaced in the pits by a girl from Sky

cheers

jo

• RMweb Premium

good I hated jonathan legard,

You are not alone, although hate is probably a bit strong :rolleyes:

I do like Martin Brundle; not sure how David Coulthard will be as a replacement for Legrad. How about Martin & Murrey Walker? :rolleyes:

You are not alone, although hate is probably a bit strong :rolleyes:

I do like Martin Brundle; not sure how David Coulthard will be as a replacement for Legrad. How about Martin & Murrey Walker? :rolleyes:

Martin and Murray get my vote, at least when Murray made a Murrayism it made you laugh

I think Martin and DC should be alot better more informative commentary and we should get less of the Legard errors which always seemed to be just pure observation mistakes and frankly annoying

Come on March 11!!

Of all the changes in F1, Murray Walker retiring is the one I'm most sad about. :) [Or should that be :(] Anyway, I miss him.

I don't know if I'll be watching this year. I got a bit fed up with the commentators saying (or words to that effect) that driver X or team Y should know their place and let driver Z from successful team A by. And I got a bit fed up with all the 'if you disagree with me, then you aren't a real fan,' and 'if you (don't) support team X you're an ignorant git' rubbish as well.

I'm surprised that only now is Martin Brundle the main commentator - I always assumed that he was already.

I used to like Murray Walker, but I recently rewatched the 1996 Monaco Grand Prix (I managed to tape it at the time and subsequently transferred the tape to DVD) and I have to say Martin Brundle is definitely better.

I was never a big fan of James Allen – although he knew his stuff – and Mr Legard was often cringe-worthy on TV so this is a good, intelligent pairing, although both lack that Murray Walker intensity that could make the dullest of races sound half interesting. Mind you, being ex-drivers, I suspect that they may have a tendency to let you know exactly who their favourites are and who they don't like too much, which, I seem to remember, was commendably absent from Murray's commentry, whilst James Hunt left you in no doubt about his prejudices.

• RMweb Gold

IMHO Murray Walker did F1 a huge disservice over far too many years. I think he may have done radio commentary early in his career, and as the voice is the only information available on radio, then his continuous wittering may - may - have been appropriate there. Where we have pictures, there is only need for commentary when something actually happens. Captions have got better, too, so even that need isn't absolute. Given that hardly anything happens in F1 - and I do watch it so know what I am saying - there isn't much need to say anything, either. Brundle is fine, Coulthard a bit "soft" for the analysis role, despite his undoubted pedigree. I didn't like James Allen, found Legard rather less irritating most of the time.

The 2011 season includes the most races ever in a F1 season - 20. As no race may exceed 2 hours of actual racing, and many races take a lot less to cover the maximum 200 miles, the whole season is rather less than 40 racing hours long. At my local circuit, one weekend every June 55 cars are expected to continue running for 24 hrs, despite even the best of them costing a fraction of the price of a F1 car. And they all have at least two seats!

Guest Belgian

. . . every June 55 cars are expected to continue running for 24 hrs, despite even the best of them costing a fraction of the price of a F1 car. And they all have at least two seats!

I expect my car to keep running for many years - and it's got five seats! B)

JE

• RMweb Gold

I expect my car to keep running for many years - and it's got five seats! B)

Ok, ok! But it doesn't often manage an 8-mile trip (with several really bendy bits and corners) in 3m 19s, now does it? And, if it did, I suspect the occupants of the other 4 seats might have some basic doubts about your parentage, if not your sanity!

Guest Belgian

Ok, ok! But it doesn't often manage an 8-mile trip (with several really bendy bits and corners) in 3m 19s, now does it? And, if it did, I suspect the occupants of the other 4 seats might have some basic doubts about your parentage, if not your sanity!

Certainly no-one has any doubts about my sanity . . . (they're coming to take me away, ah-ha . . .)

Archived