Schools train pack bargain

orcadian

AshleyH, on 22 January 2011 - 17:04 , said:

Tony,

I've been having a look for retailers doing the T9 1938 pack at £99, but I have not found any. Can you post who they are please.

Many Thanks

Ashley

Apologies Ashley - I have only now seen your request. Spocky provided the source however [thanks] - I wish I'd waited for this offer before buying my T9 and coaches ! It really is quite a bargain. Hope you are able to get one.

Tony.

Many Thanks to everyone, hopefully I will be able to get both packs this week. The Schools pack from Hattons and the T9 from Rails. I can afford one now, probably the T9, and will have to see if Hattons are still doing the Schools pack for £99 next weekend when I get paid!

A parcel (which I am not allowed to open for two more weeks), shaped suspiciously like this pack was outside my door when I got back from lectures this afternoon! Excellent service from Hattons!

I just had a look on ebay for the coach pack with, currently, no success, I did however see the train pack itself listed for £207 buy it now!

I placed a pre-order the Southern Suburban 1938 pack for £143.90 almost exactly two years ago. The packaging (old school expanded polystyrene) did not stand up to the rigours of the post and the steps from the left front of the T9 were broken off - easily fixed with some carefully applied superglue but something that shouldn't happen today.

I found it surprising that this set continues to be in the 2011 catalogue, especially if it is being discounted.

On the subject of other Hornby Schools locomotives (this is a little off-topic but I didn't think it deserved a separate thread), when did Schools No. 907 Dulwich (R2843) get released? There was some chatter about this on the Hornby forum today. Did I miss something? Was there an announcement from Hornby?

I found it surprising that this set continues to be in the 2011 catalogue, especially if it is being discounted.

I think it indicates that Hornby still have stock of these at Westwood..[obviously not a strong seller,as retailers are discounting them to shift their unsold stock..]

A parcel (which I am not allowed to open for two more weeks), shaped suspiciously like this pack was outside my door when I got back from lectures this afternoon! Excellent service from Hattons!

I just had a look on ebay for the coach pack with, currently, no success, I did however see the train pack itself listed for £207 buy it now!

My package arrived from Rails yesterday and perfectly intact, thankfully. I cannot run far at the moment as my layout is under construction and the old one completely demolished. I was able to test the Schools on a short stretch of track and it was a very smooth runner.

The extra coach pack is very scarce now but I have one on order from The Gas Cupboard in Westbury. I believe I may have got the last one but it could be worth a call to check.

If you are prepared to pay a premium, I know that M C Models here in Melbourne has at least one such pack ( www.mcmodelrailways.com ) .

Don't ask me why the text has suddenly turned green ... it wasn't me!!! :D

Daniel, If you want the 1938 pack then I seriously suggest ordering it today! Rails had sold out when I telephoned to order mine on Tuesday afternoon! They only have the unboxed locos avaialble now at £59.50.

However, after geting upset at missing out yet again with Rails, I did some googling and found the R2813 T9 1938 pack in stock at www.modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk. I have never dealt with them before, but mine was despatched yesterday, so fingers crossed. As I type this they have just 3 left in stock at £99 + £3.99 p&p. They have sold out of the Schools 1957 ones though.

Hope this helps

Ashley

My response to the latest round of offers from Rails (posted above by Spocky) is yes, they are very good prices by todays standards, but maybe this is the price level that people are actually able to afford and prepared to pay.

Perhaps £70 is the level for a loco, it will be interesting to see how fast they go. Given that you can currently get a Schools for £70, how willing is anybody going to be to pay £135 or more for one in a different livery in a few months time?

Anyway, hopefully we can all make the most of this current round of special offers!

• RMweb Premium

That's it - I'm unsubscribing!!!

Not....

RAILS OF SHEFFIELD - latest fantastic offers!!!

26th January 2011

Hornby Special Offers!

RETAIL PRICE : £174.25

SPECIAL OFFER : £79.50!

----------------------------------------------------------

Certainly some good offers, but not sure about the subscription service. The Virgin HST PCs R2704 were showing at this reduced price on Rails' front page as from 7 January!

Now if the Blue/Grey one was still, available at that price...

I just cannot see how they are affording to give us these bargains - they must have really haggled a good price off Hornby?

No, I think it's because the retailer bought too much before Christmas and the stock is not moving. They need the cash now, even if they don't make a lot of profit on it. Inventory is expensive.

From the Hornby 2011 Announcements thread:

Update from today's Telegraph re Hornby:

Questor share tip: Don't board Hornby just now

Hornby shares have slumped 11pc after the group issued a profit warning. The company said it would miss full-year expectations because of a slowdown in sales before Christmas. As with other retailers, Hornby has blamed the snow.

Another issue for the next few months will be one related to overstocking. Because of the sales slowdown at retailers, they are likely to have a lot of the company’s products in their store rooms. New orders will therefore be subdued.

Enjoy the low prices now.

Speaking to my retailer yesterday when ordering my T9 Pack, it seems these offers are from Hornby themselves.

It is Hornby that is clearing it's warehouse of unsold stock, rather than remaindered stock at retailers I believe.

Remeber these Southern Suburban packs have been in the last 3 catalogues now, so couple that with Hornby having a sluggish January, it seems they have decided to cash some stock in.

Well after a week of umming and ahhing i couldn't help but buy it.

It fitted in with the era i want to go with and will mean i have a smaller loco (all the loco's i like the look of tend to be the pacifics)

First new train for about 4 years (have only just got back into model railways) and I'm looking forward to it arriving.

Guest Belgian

Speaking to my retailer yesterday when ordering my T9 Pack, it seems these offers are from Hornby themselves.

It is Hornby that is clearing it's warehouse of unsold stock, rather than remaindered stock at retailers I believe.

Remeber these Southern Suburban packs have been in the last 3 catalogues now, so couple that with Hornby having a sluggish January, it seems they have decided to cash some stock in.

No they haven't. They were a new introduction in the 2010 catalogue and appeared just about 10 months ago. Apparently they mis-read the demand and are liquidating stock now.

JE

Just ordered a pack myself. Didn't really want another Schools, but I did want some low window Maunsell's. So a Schools at approx £30 is not to be sneezed at. Probably renumber to 30841 ;) *.

One varient I would love to see is with the Lord Nelson tender.

*Bash Street

I may have missed a joke here, but surely you'd want to bash an N15 into 30841?! :blink:

Don't think you missed a joke - if you did, so did I!:(

More likely is that he missed the '9' key and hit the '8' - 30941 = 'Bash Street' (which I think I saw on a list of 'potential additional Schools Class names' some time ago??? :D

(Readers under the age of about 30 may not get this - Bash Street was the infamous school of a strip in 'The Beano' comic.

Other possible additional Schools offered included Grange Hill - but further discussion of this topic would probably be better in 'Musings and Miscellanies' or a Mod may get busy!)

As the OP of this thread, perhaps it has now served its original purpose in drawing attention to an incredibly good value bargain and could be locked?

Richard

More likely is that he missed the '9' key and hit the '8' - 30941 = 'Bash Street' (which I think I saw on a list of 'potential additional Schools Class names' some time ago??? :D Richard

Yes. The curse of the fat finger strikes again.:blush:

• RMweb Gold

Signal Box are listing both the 1938 and 1957 sets at £99

http://www.thesignalbox.co.uk/index_new.php?pg=3&p_cat_id=72

Don't forget that the 1938 set offers the only chance to date (apart from its partner 3-coach set) to obtain high-window Maunsells in lined olive. All other olive Maunsells - excepting only the BCK in the recent Imperial Airways set - are low-window, i.e. pre-mid-1929.

Don't forget that the 1938 set offers the only chance to date (apart from its partner 3-coach set) to obtain high-window Maunsells in lined olive. All other olive Maunsells - excepting only the BCK in the recent Imperial Airways set - are low-window, i.e. pre-mid-1929.

In view of interest in SR suburban and other SR trains modelled by Hornby, could somebody please comment on whether this picture of a 1930-ish 'Schools' could have been in fact with this headcode if working Victoria-Folkestone-Dover, or indeed if any of the architecture of the Hornby station could possibly fit any of the routes of the day when that headcode applied?

I did the pic just because I enjoy the idea of the boy admiring the train, and I always liked the 'Schools' class. I thought maybe I should have depicted a Hastings line headcode but wasn't sure which applied c1930-34. Any comments or advice welcomed.

Schools_Boy_SR_1935_3abc_crop_best.jpg

Rob

Archived