Schools train pack bargain

orcadian

Thankyou the links work perfectly, and I have just chosen a headcode for a T9 on a 1938 suburban set of of low window Maunsells, Waterloo to Portsmouth via Woking and Guilford.

What an excellent resource.

This is good because my mother was born in Guildford in 1921!

Rob

• 4 weeks later...

The extra coach packs seem to be very scarce. I had to shop around for the 1957 pack but ended up with probably the last of those from The Gas Cupboard in Westbury. All I can suggest is do an on-line search to see what pops up, or try each retailer in turn. You may get lucky.

Finding the add on coach packs for any Hornby set seems to be a major pain in the proverbial.

The Bournmouth Belle, Golden Arrow, Devon Belle Silver Jubilee etc etc....

One hopes the Brighton Belle will have sufficient packs avaliable to avoid a repeat.

• RMweb Premium

The mistake, if you can really call it that, is that the loco and the add-on coach packs are usually in the shops before the loco + coaches set. Perhaps people are buying the type of loco on its own, then the coach pack, plus individual coaches to make up the rake they want. I did this with the Bournemoth Belle set - I bought a MN, then the coach pack, then some extra loose coaches. So no interest in a second loco + coaches. If they were all available at the same time, I may well have chosen differently. If the number of sets produced (loco+coaches and add-on coach pack) are the same, then I am not surprised there are loco+coach sets left on the shelves and/or going cheap.

I have a vague recollection that the 1938 coach pack came with un-numbered carriages, thus making it a collectors item?

Regards,

Dan

From my recollection, I believe they are numbered, and correctly so that the loco+3 coaches, combined with the extra 3 coaches, creates a correctly numbered fixed set of 6 Maunsell coaches.

I don't think they were released at exactly the same time, but they were released close enough together that you could meaningfully acquire both. It would be sensible to produce fewer of the additional coach pack than the loco+coach pack.

• RMweb Gold

I have a vague recollection that the 1938 coach pack came with un-numbered carriages, thus making it a collectors item?

The coach pack came with FK 7230, TK 1227 & BTK 3793. All were fully liveried, but mine lacked the "Guard" labels on the doors, so I used HMRS transfers, which are near enough. Ebay is awash (4 pages) with Hornby Maunsells, so if you're unable to find what you want, might be worth a look, although the olive examples are a bit thin on the ground - and all are low-window, unlike the 1938 Suburban set.

Archived