2011 Catalogue

martin_l_jones

Wouldn't it be easier for us and for them to put it on their website for download?

Especially since it's free. I could, perhaps, understand if it was something we had to pay for. If I remember rightly, the 2010 catalogue was available on line...

Oh well... I'm not too upset since we know pretty much what's in it.

Especially since it's free. I could, perhaps, understand if it was something we had to pay for. If I remember rightly, the 2010 catalogue was available on line...

Oh well... I'm not too upset since we know pretty much what's in it.

The 2009 and 2008 were available to download. Until last week there was a download link but has pointed to the 2008 PDF for the last 3 years! They are useful for identifying AWOL models e.g. the 86 twin packs.

Its available to download from here:

http://www.ness-st.co.uk/links.html

but no mention of the Western - the Hall and 26 are there though.

Ta very muchly.

So, here's the question... when will we see the 2884 (or 38xx if you prefer.) As I recall it was one of the 'magnificent seven'. I suspect that it's been put back till after the Hall, but it would be nice to know for certain...

So, here's the question... when will we see the 2884 (or 38xx if you prefer.) As I recall it was one of the 'magnificent seven'. I suspect that it's been put back till after the Hall, but it would be nice to know for certain...

I'm fairly certain the deal with the "magnifcent seven" is that they will be dropped on us with about a month's notice when they're ready, so there's just as good a chance it may appear before the Hall.

• RMweb Premium

I hope the 38xx does not come out at the same time as the Hall from a purely financial point of view. Looking at the catalogue, there is what appears to be quite a heavy hint that Dapol will do other GWR locos in future beyond the Hall

The tender also gives us further options for models in the years ahead.

Also of interest is that Dapol will be selling a couple of new numbers of the Ixion Manor.

• RMweb Premium

I'm fairly certain the deal with the "magnifcent seven" is that they will be dropped on us with about a month's notice when they're ready, so there's just as good a chance it may appear before the Hall.

Hi

Yes I thought that was the case but then wasn't the 26 one of the "Magnificent Seven" and its in the catalogue the 56 isn't.

Cheers

Paul

I hope the 38xx does not come out at the same time as the Hall from a purely financial point of view. Looking at the catalogue, there is what appears to be quite a heavy hint that Dapol will do other GWR locos in future beyond the Hall

The 4000 gallon Collett and Hawksworth tenders cover most of the large, later GWR locos. From that they could do a Castle, Grange, County or even a 4700. With Ixion already doing the Manor and Mogul, that will give the GWR probably the most up-to-date range of locos in N gauge. Plus the Western will mean that all the Hydraulics are available as fairly new models too. I am sure this will give Dapol a good opportunity to bash out another set of Collett coaches too.

As to the 2884, my suspicion is that this is on hold while Dapol decide what to do with the 3500 Gallon Churchward tender. If they chose to use the Ixion tooling it would be a good money-saver but at the cost of being non-DCC ready. Or they could retool the tender to try and make space for a chip. My understanding is that the Ixion tender was too small for the smallest decoder available at the time of design by under 1mm but that a smaller chip has since come onto the market. Dapol may want to try and squeeze a socket into the tender before they do the 2884.

The 4000 gallon Collett and Hawksworth tenders cover most of the large, later GWR locos. From that they could do a Castle, Grange, County or even a 4700. With Ixion already doing the Manor and Mogul, that will give the GWR probably the most up-to-date range of locos in N gauge. Plus the Western will mean that all the Hydraulics are available as fairly new models too. I am sure this will give Dapol a good opportunity to bash out another set of Collett coaches too.

Oh, I'm sure they're going to do a Grange. Why? Because I'm in the middle of converting a Manor... :)

As to the 2884, my suspicion is that this is on hold while Dapol decide what to do with the 3500 Gallon Churchward tender. If they chose to use the Ixion tooling it would be a good money-saver but at the cost of being non-DCC ready. Or they could retool the tender to try and make space for a chip. My understanding is that the Ixion tender was too small for the smallest decoder available at the time of design by under 1mm but that a smaller chip has since come onto the market. Dapol may want to try and squeeze a socket into the tender before they do the 2884.

That sounds... reasonable.

• RMweb Premium

Having closely examined the inside of the manor tender when chipping it, I think that the way forward might be solder pads rather than a socket, okay not ideal but could easily be done.

Hi everyone,

to clarify the tender situation for the 2884 locomotive (and no i'm not saying when it will be released :D ) it will be a 3500 gallon tender with a slightly altered chassis from the Ixion version, but it will have a NEM 6 pin decoder board and socket on it.

engineering tests have shown it to fit 3 and possible 4 different decoders without space modification.

Hope this helps.

cheers

Dave

Hi everyone,

to clarify the tender situation for the 2884 locomotive (and no i'm not saying when it will be released :D ) it will be a 3500 gallon tender with a slightly altered chassis from the Ixion version, but it will have a NEM 6 pin decoder board and socket on it.

engineering tests have shown it to fit 3 and possible 4 different decoders without space modification.

Hope this helps.

cheers

Dave

Thank you very much. That should end a lot of the speculation. I was just a tad worried that it had been forgotten...

• RMweb Gold

Hi, my first post on here so please be gentle!

Really good to see the pdf version of the 2011 catalogue now on the Dapol website and very pleased to see the range of OO Gauge OLE masts to be produced following the success of the Mk 3 type mast released last summer.

My only concern is that I couldn't find any details or committment to that of producing the knitting/wires to fit these masts - is it hidden away somewhere, an oversight or does this mean that I'll have to scratch-build my own or purchase another brand?

I currently have 150 of the Mk 3 type mast purchased and awaiting installation on my layout with plenty more to buy and I recently found on the Dapol website in the FAQ secion a list of suggested spacings between masts, but am currently reluctant to start 'planting' the masts without having wires in hand to fit them! :blink:

Any advice or further details would be most welcome.

Really good to see the pdf version of the 2011 catalogue now on the Dapol website...

Yes it's good it has appeared. Shame it appears to be a scan of the paper version - a huge number of megabytes and then extremely poor picture quality and some text pretty hard to read as well. Why can't they work out how to post a PDF from their publishing system like everybody else does?

Still I suppose it's better than the page-at-a-time effort from a year or two back.

• RMweb Premium

Yes it's good it has appeared. Shame it appears to be a scan of the paper version - a huge number of megabytes and then extremely poor picture quality and some text pretty hard to read as well. Why can't they work out how to post a PDF from their publishing system like everybody else does?

Still I suppose it's better than the page-at-a-time effort from a year or two back.

34 megabytes!, yes it is a bit of a whopper, that's about 20 quid if I download it to my phone ;-). Scanned into Adobe Photoshop 7 by the looks of it. Still, progressing in the right direction.

Dave, please can you tell us if the Regional Railways Class 156 listed in the catalogue is being produced in original Provincial Sprinter livery or the revised RR class 158-style version with black windscreen surrounds? I'm after one of the latter but the catalogue image suggests it's another run in the original colours.

Archived