Q: Rainstrips

Ian J.

• RMweb Premium

Can anyone enlighten me on the best way to apply rainstrips to an aluminium roof? I tried using thin microstrips of plasticard, positioned using pritt-type glue stick, then 'fixing' with polystyrene cement, but it wasn't robust enough.

I understand there might be some kind of rainstrip tape available, judging by this posting here, but can't find sight or sound of a Southern Railways Group. Might there be an alternative source?

TIA

Polystyrene cement works by 'melting' two plastic surfaces together, when sticking to metal you wont get any kind of bond really as the metal obviously doesn't melt. I have done similar using super glue in the past, works well, just be careful not to get it all over the place.

cheers

Cav

• RMweb Premium

Ian,

I use the tape from the Southern Railways Group too and their website can be found here, but I can no longer see the tape listed. It might be worth emailling their sales officer to see if they can still get it.

Thanks for that. I'll send an email later to see if it's still available.

Some years back, I used thinned down Evo-Stik Impact, the original potent stuff mixed with Mek-Pak. Thinned until paintable with a small brush, I used it (sparingly) to attach metal internal formers to preserve the curve to my Lam Models plasticard Bulleid coach sides. The sides, now over 30yrs. old are still in shape, and in one piece.

Although I haven't, yet, tried thinning down the new, solvent free, formula Evo-Stik, I am told it's water soluble / thinable. It might be worth a try out? using Slaters Micro- strip for the rainstrips.

It would be advisable to give the aluminium a going over with some fine grade emery paper.

If you've got some of the original Evo-Stik around, so much the better.

Regards.

• 3 weeks later...

post-7009-0-46912900-1297469563_thumb.jpg

Slaters Plastikard 0.010" X 0.030" Microstrip rainstrips on a Hornby Mk.1 to Bulleid SK roof conversion.

post-7009-0-77588600-1297470160_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-47671900-1297470539_thumb.jpg

Metal formers glued to inside of Lam Models plasticard sides using Evo Stik diluted with Mek-Pak.

post-7009-0-41178900-1297471039_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-69361200-1297470953_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-03261700-1297471136_thumb.jpg

Exteriors, showing body panel joint beading made from finely cut self-adhesive parcel tape.

Regards.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ian,

My answer is to give the roof a coat of paint first, and then you can attach the strip using mekpak, it will stick to the paint. After its set, continue with the painting.

Dave.

Hi Ian,

My answer is to give the roof a coat of paint first, and then you can attach the strip using mekpak, it will stick to the paint. After its set, continue with the painting.

Dave.

The best idea yet Dave. :good_mini:

Or, maybe, just an initial covering of self-etching primer ?

Aluminium's funny stuff to get things to stick to, along with galvinised steel.

It forms an oxide barrier, before you even get chance to breath on it

Ceptic

Archived