Hunslet Locomotive Company

Guest Phil

Heard a rumour that the brand new Diesel shunting loco was being tested on the Chasewater line. Decided to nip over to the Burntwood Morrisons to collect my free car deeicer kit courtesy of Father in law's Daily Mxxxxr, and spotted the red and white beastie in the platform at Brownhills.

Dodgy Cameraphone piccies to follow !!!

I like it!!!

But why does it remind me so of the Voith 'Gravitas'? http://www.voithturbo.com/lokomoitvtechnik-gravita-highlight-en.htm

It's mainly those inboard sloping light clusters, I suppose but reading through the Hunslet publicity material on their forthcoming range,...I wonder if theres some sort of 'tie-in' with Voith?

Whatever, I wish them (Hunslet especially!) all the success in the world - it would be SO nice to think that we could build great locos again in this country!;)

Cheers,

John E.

• RMweb Premium

It's good to see the name of Hunslet on the front of a new industrial again though I don't think they are being built in that part of Leeds any more as the old works site now produces electrical switchgear. I'vde recently ahd some contact with Don Townsley who was the last general manager at Jack Lane and I'm sure that he would be pleased. I'm going to forward him a link though I'm failry sure that he will know about it from his contacts in the rialway industry.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Presumably this is the engine that has been on trial at Daventry?

http://www.hunsleten.../news_dh60c.php

Regards

Mike

yes it is - but hate to say its not all built in the UK. But it is a beast having seen a video of it playing with the wagons at Daventry. The last works manager at Hunslet Jack Lane is involved in this loco.

Still if they can sell some it would be great to see new Hunslets in the UK

The plans for this and the other new Hunslet diesels on the website are good news. Just a shame that the worksplate is a small etched plate rather than the classic oval cast one - not readable from a distance.

• 1 month later...

Looks a bit like a souped-up, americanised/europeanised Vanguard (with Hunslet plates) not exactly my cup-o-tea and I'll not be crying out for a kit or RTR appearance.

Thanks for the photos though

• RMweb Premium

I wonder how long it will be before Mike Edge has run a tape rule over it and released a kit? :D

don't think he needs to do that as we have reasonable good links with someone who works for LH/Hunslet.....

what it does need is a big brass Hunslet plate not that modern mini plate ...

Archived