Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Thanks Rod. Natural lighting does make such a difference to models.

Here's another quick one...

post-7247-127202848554_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Dave

Dave,

This is a truly outstanding photograph. I can't tell if this is a picture of a model or the real thing.

Many thanks for posting.

Jeff

Hi Dave

Just wanted to say what everyone else does - absolutely stunning layout, and wonderful photography!!

Am interested to know if this is your first layout that you have made? If so, how did you develop your skills to such a high level?

If not, I would be interested to hear about previous layouts you may have built and how the experiences helped you in this one.

Cheers

Stu

Hi Dave

Just wanted to say what everyone else does - absolutely stunning layout, and wonderful photography!!

Am interested to know if this is your first layout that you have made? If so, how did you develop your skills to such a high level?

If not, I would be interested to hear about previous layouts you may have built and how the experiences helped you in this one.

Cheers

Stu

Hi Stu and Jeff,

Thanks for your kind comments. Much appreciated.

Stu, this is the first layout I've built since I returned to the hobby after a gap of 20 years or so. I built two or three layouts when I was a teenager but they weren't very good to be honest. I don't think there's a lot of skill behind what I do. Most of it is to do with weathering stock and scenery using grimy coloured paints and weathering powders. It always seems to turn "toys" in to reasonably realistic models. Making sure colours are matt and subdued is another key thing I think.

I guess I've read a lot of layout and "how-to" articles over the years and gradually decided what methods I liked best, so Waverley West is really the result of that process, i.e. pinching other people's good ideas!

A few quick pics while I'm here...

First up, a couple of b&w ones, the first one showing my "new" smooth-roofed Mk 1s and Bachmann close couplings...

post-7247-127261649702_thumb.jpg

post-7247-12726159489_thumb.jpg

And finally, one of an unusual visitor to Waverley - 45144 - emerging from The Mound tunnel...

post-7247-127261616051_thumb.jpg

Work has now moved on to 37043. I am also tempted to fit passengers in my Bachmann Mk 2 rake, as I was pleased with the results on my Mk 1s. I also have the new lights to paint and then they can be installed on the platforms.

Cheers for now,

Dave

• Like 5

Hi Dave,

Love the black and white pics,cool.gif I have been meaning to ask you where you got the lights that you already have on your layout, they look a bit like the non working ones on Llanbourne.

Cheers Peter,

Thanks Rod. Natural lighting does make such a difference to models.

Here's another quick one...

post-7247-127202848554_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave

This is an excellent picture. I have followed this layout for quite sometime and I have to say I think its fantastic. I have a slightly nostalgic view of the HST, it is only a few years older than me and I have grown up watching these trains setting off from the London Stations many times, in all their various liveries. However I still think the BR blue sits the best (although I have to say the current XC livery comes close), but this really shot captures the atmosphere of an HST.

Congratulations

Trevor

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks,

It's been a bit quiet on the update front from Waverley West recently. We had a scarecrow competition in our local villages over the weekend and I've been busy over the past two weeks making our entry, which was...

post-7247-127408582008_thumb.jpg

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Anyway, hopefully I'll have more time for modelling now that's over. Here are some more piccies.

First up, a couple of backlit shots taken one stormy winter's morning in 1981...

post-7247-127408590021_thumb.jpg

post-7247-127408596223_thumb.jpg

Followed by a couple of broadside views of 37191...

post-7247-127408702136_thumb.jpg

post-7247-127408599413_thumb.jpg

and a 108 as it leaves for Kirkcaldy...

post-7247-127408607321_thumb.jpg

A view of 55021 as it leaves for Aberdeen...

post-7247-127408602206_thumb.jpg

post-7247-127408605087_thumb.jpg

And finally a smooth-roofed Mk 1 BG in the formation of an Aberdeen train...

post-7247-127408616732_thumb.jpg

That's all for now. Modelling hasn't been completely forsaken over the past couple of weeks as Large Logo 37043 is now nearing completion. It just needs weathering now and a sound chip fitted. I hope to post some pics of it soon.

Cheers for now,

Dave

• Like 6

Hi Dave,

Cracking!! scarecrow.biggrin.gif I showed the wife and daughter, both think its cool and want to know did you win.

Side on shots look great, really like the 37, though not as good as Wallace & Gromit.laugh.gif

Cheers Peter,

Hi Dave,

Cracking!! scarecrow.biggrin.gif I showed the wife and daughter, both think its cool and want to know did you win.

Side on shots look great, really like the 37, though not as good as Wallace & Gromit.laugh.gif

Cheers Peter,

Hi Peter,

No, I'm afraid we didn't win. In fact we didn't even finish 4th. We live a little off the beaten track in the village and I think some people may have missed us (people voted for their favourite scarecrow). That's my sour grapes explanation anyway!! We was robbed!

This was the winner...

post-7247-127408891098_thumb.jpg

This one was my favourite, for obvious reasons. I thought it would win, but it only came joint 3rd...

post-7247-12740889421_thumb.jpg

Oh well, there's always next year!

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 4

Hi folks,

It's been a bit quiet on the update front from Waverley West recently. We had a scarecrow competition in our local villages over the weekend and I've been busy over the past two weeks making our entry, which was...

post-7247-127408582008_thumb.jpg

So which of the Moderators are they meant to be then? :lol:

So which of the Moderators are they meant to be then?

Andy is quite good, but that looks nothing like Mod6. He's all like, green, and scaly...

Loving the shot through the tunnel, did you give much thought to camera angles when designing the layout or just strike it lucky?

Andy is quite good, but that looks nothing like Mod6. He's all like, green, and scaly...

Loving the shot through the tunnel, did you give much thought to camera angles when designing the layout or just strike it lucky?

Hi Ragtag,

I must admit I didn't think too much about camera angles when designing the layout. I just set about trying to recreate the atmosphere of Waverley. I guess I figured that if I managed to recreate the layout and feel of Waverley, the camera angles would follow.

The angle of backlighting that I get in the summer is very much luck though, I'm afraid. The layout orientation is more to do with making the most of the layout of the room in terms of space than any foresight on my part to take advantage of natural light. I can't claim to be that farsighted unfortunately!

Cheers,

Dave

• RMweb Premium

as i've said before, it's not just the quality of modelling on offer here, it's the photography too.

those daylight pics are immense dave.

long may they continue!

Hi Peter,

No, I'm afraid we didn't win. In fact we didn't even finish 4th. We live a little off the beaten track in the village and I think some people may have missed us (people voted for their favourite scarecrow). That's my sour grapes explanation anyway!! We was robbed!

This was the winner...

post-7247-127408891098_thumb.jpg

This one was my favourite, for obvious reasons. I thought it would win, but it only came joint 3rd...

post-7247-12740889421_thumb.jpg

Oh well, there's always next year!

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Sorry to hear that, though I do quite like the winner, it shouldn't have beaten Wallace and Gromit though demand a recount.laugh.gif

Cheers Peter,

Hi Dave,

Those Scare crows are amazing (cracking job gromit - might be more appropriate) All those pictures with the natural light just add even more to the atmosphere of your layout if thats possible. The weathering is just right and gives the cleaner patches of rail blue colour that greeny/faded tint in the bright sunlight which really helps set the period. The coach detailing is well worth the effort as well as it brings the scene to life. Your updates never fail to impress me and already looking forward to seeing more!

Thanks,

Mark

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Much appreciated!

Mark, like you say, those modifications to the Bachmann Mk 1's really do make a difference. They're a good model to start with and smoothing the roofs off and fitting passengers takes them to another level I think. There was an article in this month's MR about improving RTR coaches and it didn't mention the roof ribs on the Bachmann Mk 1's, which given how easy it is (once you've plucked up the courage and taken the plunge!) and the difference it makes, was an omission I think.

Here are some more pics, partly based on ones I posted last time. Just thought I'd tinker with the format to see what I could make of them...

post-7247-127426119069_thumb.jpg

post-7247-127426138306_thumb.jpg

post-7247-127426153202_thumb.jpg

post-7247-127426165804_thumb.jpg

post-7247-127426175174_thumb.jpg

post-7247-127426202556.jpg

I spent last night working on 37043, which has now been weathered and I've made a start on fitting a bass reflex speaker in the fuel tank. This is the first time I've tried installing a bass speaker in the fuel tank, so I'm looking forward to hearing the results. Unfortunately, the speaker I have is too big and I've just ordered some more slimmer ones from DCC Supplies. When I was putting the loco back together after spraying I also found I was missing a bodyside window. Arrrrggghhh!! rolleyes_mini.gif rolleyes_mini.gif Oh well, I guess I'll have to try and make a new one. I was actually quite careful with them on this occasion, which makes it all the more frustrating. At least it wasn't a windscreen or side window I guess.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks,

It's been a bit quiet on the modelling front recently here at Waverley West. I was away last week on holiday in...errr....Edinburgh. While I was there I spent some time in Princes St. Gardens (not to mention Waverley itself) as 55022 was due in on the Deltic Retro II railtour...

post-7247-127607551169_thumb.jpg

post-7247-127607553359_thumb.jpg

And just a few minutes later, 55021 amazingly passed by on another railtour...

post-7247-127607561137_thumb.jpg

In between, the first footbridge near The Mound had been reinstated and the lines had been de-electrified. Who says Network Rail always overrun on projects? wink.gif

Off layout, Large Logo 37043 is now nearing completion. The sound chip is fitted and working and the loco has been weathered. It just needs its snowploughs finishing off and fitting and a few final touches and it will be added to the fleet.

Next on the list is fitting a bass reflex speaker to my 60009 Union of South Africa. I have always thought the SWD recording, although good, sounded a bit tinny even with a 20 x 40mm speaker with the chamber thingy, so I'm hoping this will improve things. There's plenty of space in the tender, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers for now,

Dave

• Like 2

Hi Dave

Love the Youtube and the Deltic photos with the like for like from your layour and the real thing. Great uploads and love seeing your many photos matey.

I'm on the Deltic tour this weekend... Preston to Kings Cross, catching it at Preston, so looking forward to that and see the City to.

All the Best

Jamie

Hi Dave

How on earth do you model the Scottish light,  it just brings out the definition, on you wonderfully models.

I'm on the Deltic tour this weekend... Preston to Kings Cross, catching it at Preston, so looking forward to that and see the City to

Give my regard to Zontar

Gary