Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

• RMweb Premium

Dave - when you do model Oban, do you plan to model McCaig's folly, or to take a trip up there and photograph it and do a photo backscene - Oban wouldn't be Oban without that artefact

Dave - when you do model Oban, do you plan to model McCaig's folly, or to take a trip up there and photograph it and do a photo backscene - Oban wouldn't be Oban without that artefact

Hi Stewart,

Due to space constraints, I'm not planning on modelling McCaig's Tower, but do intend to include it on a photo backscene. Like you say, Oban just wouldn't be Oban without it. A bit like Edinburgh without the Scott Monument.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

Some great photos, I love the 108 at night shot, especially the way the light reflects across the track. Just a little area which I hope you don't mind me pointing out, the last photo needs some car drivers!

Hello Dave,

Now, that's interesting, I hadn't realized there were ferries that size on Buttermere or Crummock Water. I look forward to seeing Heb in due course, but don't put her at the  front of the layout as I did at Stranraer  - my heart skips a beat any time anyone stands within a couple of feet of my model Caledonian Princess! (from the same Carl Fisher shipyard.

Colm

Hello Dave,

Now, that's interesting, I hadn't realized there were ferries that size on Buttermere or Crummock Water. I look forward to seeing Heb in due course, but don't put her at the  front of the layout as I did at Stranraer  - my heart skips a beat any time anyone stands within a couple of feet of my model Caledonian Princess! (from the same Carl Fisher shipyard.

Colm

Hi Colm,

You're right about not putting Heb at the front of the layout. I've been thinking about the overall shape of the layout (probably an L-shape), and she would have to go at the back of the layout anyway, so as not to overwhelm the rest of the layout I think. But absolutely, the faintest possibility of any damage to her whatsoever just doesn't bear thinking about!

Cheers

Dave

Hi folks, 

Just thought I'd post another quick update...

The central heating has been installed in the railway room  :dancer:  :dancer:  :dancer:making it nice and cosy now. What a difference it makes too.

I am now back on to scenic work, on the depot to be precise. After looking at the damage caused to the depot "concrete" surface by warping over the hot summer, I decided it would be better to rip it all up and start again. Some very thick plastic had warped and to try and bend it back down and glue it to the baseboard would almost certainly have been a very frustrating and hopeless battle. So, last night I ripped it all up to leave a nice fresh surface to start again on. I'm currently thinking of putting down some hardboard down, smooth side up, and then painting it with Woodland Scenics colours. For some reason, the "concrete" under roads 1 and 2 didn't warp, so that is probably going to stay in place.

I must make sure I sort out the overheating problem by the spring though, in time for another blistering Cumbrian summer no doubt.  :sungum:  :sungum: Well, you can dream, can't you? 

Here is the current state of progress with the depot...

post-7247-0-24478600-1413447464_thumb.jpg

Over at the works, 58050 is now very nearly complete. It just needs a sound chip fitting, the cab doors need painting black (which I've only just noticed Heljan had missed out - along with the grilles on the body side) and a driver has to be fitted. 31174 has come in for buffer beam detailing, while 37026 Loch Awe is in for wheel cleaning. The works foreman has come in for some stick recently, as a real backlog has built up due to all the signalling work that has been going on, which has left little time for workbench projects. 

Hope to be back soon with another update.

Cheers for now,

Dave

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

From the state of those two buildings, it looks like the hurricanes whipping the West Coast USA passed through on their way!

And the water tower appears to have been blown well off its site - hope nothing is coming along the down line?

Hi Dave, good to see work at Waverley West is still progressing. Central heating eh? You will be permanently living in the train room!

I will be following your progress with the depot, especially the concrete floor as I am not too far off starting mine.

I am looking forward to seeing Toton Traction Depot at WW, nice! She will look lovely passing through on HAAs...

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

Was good to see you both at the weekend in Barrow. Nice to see the layout coming along and some of those photos above are stunning especially that MK1. I will remember to include you in our operating team on Newlands at Glasgow.

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark,

It was good to see you too and catch up. I'm looking forward to Glasgow already. It's become a regular fixture for me now.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave, good to see work at Waverley West is still progressing. Central heating eh? You will be permanently living in the train room!

I will be following your progress with the depot, especially the concrete floor as I am not too far off starting mine.

I am looking forward to seeing Toton Traction Depot at WW, nice! She will look lovely passing through on HAAs...

Thanks Alex. Yeah, central heating. Can't be bad, hey?. Mustn't grumble. Well, I do. But then that's just me. There will definitely be more time spent in the railway room this winter, that's for sure. 

The plastic "concrete" floor was a big disappointment, although the heat in the room was the main factor really. I needed to get some blinds for the Veluxes earlier in the summer. Still, you live and learn. Hopefully, I'll be better prepared next year.

I'm looking forward to releasing Toton Traction Depot from the works too. Cab doors are painted now. A sound chip and driver are all that's left to do. The HAA rake is ready (32 wagons), as are 56013, two 20s and an original Railfreight 58 for a bit of variety. I have a soft spot for HAA MGRs for some reason, headed by 56s and 58s in particular. Something to do with the sheer power and weight and keeping the wheels of industry moving, I guess. Then there's the unsuccessful (due I believe to the expense of needing another driver in the trailing 20) trial of three 20s (two on one end and one on the other) on Scottish MGRS too to model some time. I need another weathered and sound-fitted 20 to do that though.

What I really need is a fiddle yard so that I can run a variety of freight trains on the layout, as at the moment when I change freight trains I have to swap all the wagons over. That's next on the list after finishing Haymarket. And before Oban. There's no shortage of plans here!

Boxenby is coming on a treat. I always enjoy dipping in and catching up with your progress. Keep up the good work. It really is starting to come together nicely now.

Cheers 

Dave

Hi again folks, 

Just thought I'd post a couple of pics while I'm here. I may have posted variations on these two before, but what the heck...

post-7247-0-50377700-1413575368_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-45773400-1413575391_thumb.jpg

I can feel a move forward in time to 1987 coming on on WW sometime soon.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 19