RMweb

Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Great photos Dave - I thought it was real and had to take a second look as the track is so realistic, the only giveaway was the Class 56 which wasn't common until the early 90s.

Great photos Dave - I thought it was real and had to take a second look as the track is so realistic, the only giveaway was the Class 56 which wasn't common until the early 90s.

You're quite right, Jim, of course. I generally run stock that would have been seen in the Edinburgh area in the late 70s through to the early 90s, but I never let that get in the way of some modelling fun and my modeller's licence is fully up to date.

:senile: :senile:

Cheers

Dave 

• Like 1

Absolutely fantastic photos Dave. They just look so real. Think my favourite is the 20's with the MGR but, I maybe biased. Any chance of a 37 in the same setting then I may have to change my mind. Great work indeed.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 1

Absolutely fantastic photos Dave. They just look so real. Think my favourite is the 20's with the MGR but, I maybe biased. Any chance of a 37 in the same setting then I may have to change my mind. Great work indeed.

Cheers

Marcus

I'm sure it can be arranged, Marcus. I'll have a word with the traction controller. :jester: I have a quite few more shots like that in mind of WW's various rakes and locos.

I realised I had left the Velux windows open last night after yesterday's mini-heatwave and woke up to a torrential downpour this morning. Went up to the railway room to find the two wings to the fiddle yards soaked. Hopefully it will dry out and no harm will be done. No scenery was affected fortunately.

Edited by Waverley West

I'm sure it can be arranged, Marcus. I'll have a word with the traction controller. :jester: I have a few more shots like that in mind of WW's various rakes.

I realised I had left the Velux windows open last night after yesterday's mini-heatwave and woke up to a torrential downpour this morning. Went up to the railway room to find the two wings to the fiddle yards soaked. Hopefully it will dry out and no harm will be done. No scenery was affected fortunately.

I noticed last night you were having quite a storm in you're neck of the woods. Hopefully there's no lasting damage to the layout. If its a plywood base its pretty resilient these days. 

Cheers

Marcus

I noticed last night you were having quite a storm in you're neck of the woods. Hopefully there's no lasting damage to the layout. If its a plywood base its pretty resilient these days. 

Cheers

Marcus

Cheers Marcus. Yes, it was quite a storm. It's still going on now in fact. There's some pretty impressive forked lightning outside my window every few minutes as I'm typing now. The layout base is plywood, so hopefully no lasting damage. A lesson learned though hopefully.

Cheers Marcus. Yes, it was quite a storm. It's still going on now in fact. There's some pretty impressive forked lightning outside my window every few minutes as I'm typing now. The layout base is plywood, so hopefully no lasting damage. A lesson learned though hopefully.

This is quite interesting. Haven't seen a storm quite like that over the UK for a while.

http://www.lightningmaps.org/#y=54.1478;x=-4.8074;z=6;t=3;m=sat;r=0;s=0;o=0;b=0.00;n=0;d=2;dl=2;dc=0;

As you say, still going on now.

• RMweb Premium

You can get retrofit motors and rain sensors for Velux windows; they're not cheap, but then neither is rebuilding a model railway. Alternatively you can get a rain sensor that just sets off an alarm to tell you its raining, which you only have activated when the window is open, it can even alarm to your mobile phone if you want. Personally I'm not sure that knowing I'd left the windows open when I'm 4 hours from home would really be a benefit.

Great pictures though - what really works is that there is no obvious limit to the railway, the scenery goes on forever in all directions. Normally the eye isn't fooled because it sees something like a backscene edge which shouldn't be there. Fantastic modelling.

Hi Marcus,

I had a word with the traction controller and he was very obliging. He even put double stamps on the Cockenzie MGR run for me this morning...

attachicon.gif37s 7 BW.jpg

attachicon.gif37s 7.jpg

Hope to be back soon with some more of the same.

Cheers

Dave

PS After the flooding of the line at the weekend, services appeared to be back to normal so no harm done.

Think I've just died and gone to heaven. That looks absolutely superb. Thanks for carrying out my request. Can't beat a pair of work stained tractors.

Really glad to here that the flooding caused no permanent damage.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Of course, in your era the power station is still working and the MGR service frequent.  Unlike when I was at Cockenzie last week.  NIce one, though.

• RMweb Premium

A quick suggestion, are you ever planning to model the earlier Glasgow-Edinburgh services, with a 27 at each end and 6 mk2s in between, or don't you have any 27/2s?

A quick suggestion, are you ever planning to model the earlier Glasgow-Edinburgh services, with a 27 at each end and 6 mk2s in between, or don't you have any 27/2s?

Yes, I am. I only have two 27s at the moment though, neither of which is a 27/2 and I've renumbered my 27/1 to a 27/0, but it is a plan for the future. I've been looking out for another TOPS era Heljan 27 but they are pretty rare at the moment and Heljan don't seem interested in doing any more right now. I know I could use a pre-TOPS era one, but it would be a bit easier with a TOPS one, especially as the numbers would be in the right place, even if they would have to be removed..

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I am. I only have two 27s at the moment though, neither of which is a 27/2 and I've renumbered my 27/1 to a 27/0, but it is a plan for the future. I've been looking out for another TOPS era Heljan 27 but they are pretty rare at the moment and Heljan don't seem interested in doing any more right now. I know I could use a pre-TOPS era one, but it would be a bit easier with a TOPS one, especially as the numbers would be in the right place, even if they would have to be removed..

You could try a couple of 33s (see previous jests) and I once heard from a reliable source that on one occasion, a 33 or two turned up at Eastfield for servicing, off the Cliffe-Uddingston cement service and the staff at Eastfield had big ideas about trying to hijack them to see how they'd do instead of the 27s which were by then starting to show real signs of over-use.

• Like 1