Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

• RMweb Gold

Seriously - if you hadn't removed the coupling, I would have thought that was your research photographs if the prototype!

Jim

I thought this one was the real thing!!!  Puts the rest of us to shame!

From Post 2780

attachicon.gif Track 1.jpg

Rich

Hi Dave - Interesting photos of Waverley West, when I saw these I had to look twice to get my bearings, with these being so different from your usual pics it was hard to come to terms with the fact that Waverley West is in fact a model railway :scratchhead:

Would like to see more distance shots of the station/D areas etc if poss.

Nice work as always.

Cheers, Bob.

Edited by bobster

Hi Dave - Interesting photos of Waverley West, when I saw these I had to look twice to get my bearings, with these being so different from your usual pics it was hard to come to terms with the fact that Waverley West is in fact a model railway :scratchhead:

Would like to see more distance shots of the station/D areas etc if poss.

Nice work as always.

Cheers, Bob.

Thanks Bob. Will bear that in mind.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Whilst your model railway is large by many peoples standards, your photographs make it seem much bigger!!!

Another TEA rolls off the Waverley West Weathering Works' production line under a threatening sky...

post-7247-0-29516900-1467294630_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-41971300-1467294701_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-61454600-1467294795_thumb.jpg

In case anyone is interested, the technique I used for these was as follows:

1. Spray Railmatch Roof Dirt over the upper half of the tanks using an aerosol.

2. Spray Railmatch Frame Dirt over the bottom half of the wagons using an aerosol. 

3. Decide that you've made a right mess of it as there is too much coarse splattering of the Frame Dirt from the aerosol.

4. Wipe it all off and start again.

I'd advise skipping the above steps if you can!

Second time around:

1. Spray Railmatch Roof Dirt over the upper half of the tanks using an aerosol. This gives a fairly coarse textured finish which is what I wanted. Slight dabbing of the paint over the BP decal removes any visible splattering and allows the decal to show through (to varying degrees) here.

2. Spray Railmatch Frame Dirt, this time using an airbrush. This gives a finer, more dust-like finish which is much more what I was after. The weathering powders will provide the texture here.

3. Wipe the information panels etc. clean of paint.

4. Paint the oil streaks down the sides, particularly below the two outer hatches on the tank top, first using Railmatch Weathered Black (matt) as broad streaks, followed by Railmatch Coal Black (gloss) in narrower streaks on top.

5. Apply a mix of dirty brown weathering powders to the bogies and the lower sides of the wagons except over the oil streaks on the sides of the tanks.

6. Final touching up of hand brake wheels, etc.

7. Paint wheels a mix of Railmatch frame dirt and roof dirt.

In other news, work is progressing with the installation of the points in the Western fiddle yard. There is now access to 9 out of the 12 sidings.

Cheers 

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 11

Hi Dave

The TEA's look great and thanks for the step-by-step. I have some obscenely clean TEA's that need a trip to the weathering works - your post is now duly printed off and saved for future reference!

Cheers

Hi Dave

The TEA's look great and thanks for the step-by-step. I have some obscenely clean TEA's that need a trip to the weathering works - your post is now duly printed off and saved for future reference!

Cheers

Sam - have just added another step which I missed off (7). Sorry!

Hi Dave,

Nice work on the fiddleyards. I am well jealous of your TEAs I have always wanted a train of them but Llanbourne is just not big enough to handle them. It's a wagon I have always liked as it was one of the biggest wagons around back in the 80s. I used to see them go through my home station on their way to or from Furzebrook, it was normally class 47 hauled but always ten wagons. 

Cheers Peter.

Edited by P.C.M
  • Like 1

Hi Dave,

Great to see the fiddle yards progress. If I'd known you were doing the tanks like that I would have given you my 6 while you were here to do at the same time as they look superb. Thanks for the step by step though very useful.

Cheers

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That lighting really is moody, and certainly adds to the realism in large dollops.  Now, do you remember my suggestion a couple of centuries ago about starting again in P4 to get the track just right......??????

Edited by 45156

Really like the photo of 20226, another excellent photo.

I was brought up near to and could see the 20s on the MGRs from both my Primary and Secondary School, working hard up the bank near Touch (pronounced tooch and not touch!) in Dunfermline.

Odd thing is how your memory plays tricks on you, I can only remember in the 70s and 80s seeing headbox verions like 20226 and can't recall seeing them with discs, however having seen them almost every day I must have seen some with discs.  It was only when I got back in model railways in the late 90s I even realised there were two types of 20s.

Goes without saying keep the photos coming.

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Much appreciated. I was very pleased with the way the TEAs came out. To complete the train, I have a Bachmann Petroleum 47 waiting for weathering. Much of my time has been taken up laying track on the fiddle yard recently though.

There was a bit of a storm brewing over Haymarket but I took a chance and managed to get some shots in a brief burst of sunshine...

Eastfield's 20226 takes a breather in between MGR duties...

attachicon.gif20226 1.jpg

26004 does likewise, with D200 in the background.

attachicon.gif26004 1.jpg

attachicon.gif26004 2.jpg

There was an unusual visitor in the shape of 31174 which had come in off a Newcastle service.

attachicon.gif31174.jpg

As the black storm clouds approached, I thought it was time to scarper as I didn't have my coat with me.

attachicon.gifBacklit 2.jpg

In other news, work is progressing on the northwestern fiddle yard with 4 of the 12 sidings now available for use.

Hope to be back soon with another update.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Hi Dave

Very nice work indeed, I have my work cut out if my older version of Haymarket MPD is to live unto the standards you have achieved, very much like the weathering to the oil tankers.

The only advantage I have is being a steam depot if my work does not come up to a decent standard I can bury it all under a load of muck & cinders.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

Some fantastic feedback there, guys. Thank you so much. I'm glad I'm bringing back memories for you too, as that is one of my main aims behind Waverley West, rather than a true-to-scale recreation of the station and environs. I just don't have room for that.

My memories of the Fife MGRs are mainly of 20s passing through Kinghorn station in the late 70s/early 80s. I particularly remember the experiment with the third 20 on the back and intend to model that at some point. I believe it proved to be too expensive, as the third 20 needed a crew. Interesting to see that these MGRs often had a brake van on the rear for reversals. It would certainly add a bit of interest to WW's HAA rake.

I thought I'd post a few pics showing progress with the NW fiddle yard, as that is where most of my modelling time is being spent at the moment.

8 sidings are now live and ready for use and I have started on the return loop.

Here is a shot of the entire fiddle yard. 56013 and a shortened version of the oil tanker rake is the first train to occupy the sidings.

post-7247-0-63301300-1468494463_thumb.jpg

56013 waits patiently for construction of the return loop to be completed...

post-7247-0-33202100-1468494519_thumb.jpg

A close up of another TEA tanker...

post-7247-0-07111000-1468494547_thumb.jpg

The return loop under construction...

post-7247-0-61054100-1468494591_thumb.jpg

The other end of the fiddle yard showing how it disappears behind the station to reappear in the short non-scenic section...

post-7247-0-56585000-1468496166_thumb.jpg

The fiddle yard will have 12 roads, varying from 2m to 3.1m in length. I should have 5 or 6 roads which are over 2.6m which will enable decent length freight trains, as well as sleeper and parcel trains too. Rakes of TEAs, HAAs, HEAs, Speedlink and Seacow wagons are ready to be placed on the layout permanently, rather than having to swap the rakes over every time I wanted to run a new freight train as before.

I'm hoping that the two yards combined will transform operation of WW, especially on the freight side of things.

Hope to be back soon with another update.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

I really like this layout and the more I see it the more I like it. Along with Llanbourne it's been one of my inspirations for starting a layout of my own. I'm quite interested in the fiddle yards, particularly the reverse loops. What radius curves are you using and do you have any issues with stock? I know most ready to run stuff will comfortably negotiate down to R2 (440mm?), but wonder how that works in reality once stock is detailed, particularly to your standard. I want to stay at over 900mm on the visible sections and had 600mm in mind for the fiddle yards.

I also have a thing about reverse loops ending up with first class coaches ending up at the wrong end of the train, although I guess at Waverley rakes turned up frequently in both directions due to the number of options to reverse between Kings Cross and Edinburgh. Alternatively I could have therapy for my OCD...

Andy

• Like 2

When you mentioned about the MGRs being hauled by the Class 20s with one on the back being too expensive because of the additional crew being needed - do you know why they didn't just hook it on the front and triple head it instead? was there any benefit in having one of the locos at the back?

When you mentioned about the MGRs being hauled by the Class 20s with one on the back being too expensive because of the additional crew being needed - do you know why they didn't just hook it on the front and triple head it instead? was there any benefit in having one of the locos at the back?

I think it made reversal much easier, which was often necessary as 65288_63C mentions above.

I really like this layout and the more I see it the more I like it. Along with Llanbourne it's been one of my inspirations for starting a layout of my own. I'm quite interested in the fiddle yards, particularly the reverse loops. What radius curves are you using and do you have any issues with stock? I know most ready to run stuff will comfortably negotiate down to R2 (440mm?), but wonder how that works in reality once stock is detailed, particularly to your standard. I want to stay at over 900mm on the visible sections and had 600mm in mind for the fiddle yards.

I also have a thing about reverse loops ending up with first class coaches ending up at the wrong end of the train, although I guess at Waverley rakes turned up frequently in both directions due to the number of options to reverse between Kings Cross and Edinburgh. Alternatively I could have therapy for my OCD...

Andy

Thanks 61656.

I haven't actually run any stock round the first reverse loop yet, but I did decide to use Code 100 set track for the actual loops themselves in an attempt to head off any problems. I've used 2nd and 3rd radius curves for the loops, so fairly tight.

As long as I stick to a minimum radius of 2nd radius on the layout I generally find that derailments due to overtight curves are rare. The bogies on my Heljan 26s and 27s are some of the most prone to derailing if the curve gets too tight, so if they make it round then I usually find that everything else will too. Reverse curves can be more of a problem though in my experience, especially with close-couplings on Hornby diesels.

It will be interesting to see how I get on with the reverse loops though, as they will be the longest sections of 2nd radius track on the layout and I'm hoping to run some fairly long trains. Watch this space!