Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Dave,

Good to hear health is improving love the overall shots really puts the layout into perspective. The overall shiots highlight just how effective the detailed photos really are and make them even more impressive.

I did note you have some track sections particularly the loop on the hidden sidings which are very close to the edge of the baseboards. Have you considered adding a vertical lip to ensure that a derailed train doesn't end up on the floor. I have used aliminium angle along the dates of my layout which was purchased from wickes works very effectively and keeps the trains where they belong

Nice layout, takes me back to the 80s when I was a second man up at Haymarket TMD before we got moved down to the Waverley. Became a driver in 85 and left in 91 just as ECML was getting electrified. I was passed to drive 08s 25s 47s (and the DBSO) various DMUs as well as Sprinters and super sprinters.... Also managed to get to the controls of Deltics, 37s 40s 20s and the occasional HST down to Craigentinny for cleaning etc if the driver would let me. Second man on the old ECML route when it was still steam heating! (Fun times when you had to uncouple at Newcastle if you forgot to shut the boiler down lol) .... Great layout brings back lots of memories...... Ty and well done

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Always inspirational Dave and great to see layout overall. I hadn't realised you had been unwell , so best wishes for continued recovery. As you say we should appreciate our health more considering what some people have to put up with.

Best wishes and looking forward to more pics from you "bake off" sessions. I knew that program would be good for something!

Edited by Legend

Hi folks,

Thanks for the kind feedback. Much appreciated as ever.

As work continues on the southeastern fiddle yard during my Bake Off sessions, I thought I'd post a few hastily taken and slightly shaky shots of WW in case anyone is getting withdrawal symptoms with the lack of shots of trains on WW at the moment. With all the permanent way work under way on the fiddle yards, services on WW are worse than those on Southern at the moment. 

Time-space displacement machine currently set to 1986...

post-7247-0-28096900-1472842106_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-41132300-1472842108_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-39142700-1472842601_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-69138100-1472842101_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-96109800-1472842111_thumb.jpg

Three Cobolt motors now just need to be programmed and the basic southeastern fiddle yard loop will be completed. I'm currently waiting on an auto reverser from Gaugemaster at the moment too. Then it will be on to working out what dead-end sidings to put on the fiddle yard boards.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Thats it right there. Attention to detail. You did a great job on the inside lining of the tunnel because you knew you'd want to take that picture. That is the essence of your work in one picture, and how you make your layout look 4 times its size and just like the real thing. Sorry I've gone all poncy but this deserves recognition.

You put the F in awesome mate the same way typhoo put the T in Britain and somebody put a right tw@t in Scunthorpe.

• Like 2

Yes - Dave 084 Grid passing on the MGR is up there as what can be achieved (with maybe a small amount of Apple enhancement?)  - top  notch a favourite indeed - Jon Sandhills was well good in his composition and modelling skills - sadly missed on here - a leaf out of his book.

Excellent

Ian

Hi folks,

Thanks for the kind feedback. Much appreciated as ever.

As work continues on the southeastern fiddle yard during my Bake Off sessions, I thought I'd post a few hastily taken and slightly shaky shots of WW in case anyone is getting withdrawal symptoms with the lack of shots of trains on WW at the moment. With all the permanent way work under way on the fiddle yards, services on WW are worse than those on Southern at the moment. 

Time-space displacement machine currently set to 1986...

attachicon.gifThru the Mound 1.jpg

attachicon.gifThru the Mound 2.jpg

attachicon.gif47 2.jpg

attachicon.gif47 3.jpg

attachicon.gif27052 1.jpg

Three Cobolt motors now just need to be programmed and the basic southeastern fiddle yard loop will be completed. I'm currently waiting on an auto reverser from Gaugemaster at the moment too. Then it will be on to working out what dead-end sidings to put on the fiddle yard boards.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Very 1986 and very good.

Thru the Mound 1.

If I may reminisce for a moment, the 101 I used to go home on in Pt 18.  Trick was to get on early and get a great view across the Forth Bridge from behind the driver.  A 47 ready to take a service to Dundee in Pt 17, my favourite service in Pt 14 ready to head to Queen Street or just having arrived from queen Street and in  Pt 13, a 107 heading to Stirling, Dunblane or Glasgow Central.

Lovely stuff.

• Like 1

Hi folks,

Just thought I'd post a quick update on progress on the SE fiddle yard. This yard is now nearing completion, with just 3 point motors to wire up now, and the Gaugemaster reversing module to install, once it eventually arrives.

By using 3rd radius curves on the outer return loop, I was able to squeeze in an extra inner (2nd radius) full-length loop in this yard. This can take 1+8 coaches or a 2+7 HST. This gives me a total of 13 through loops in both fiddle yards combined.

Here is the current state of play with the SE fiddle yard...

post-7247-0-99695300-1473757758_thumb.jpg

I have also been adding as many deadend sidings as I can squeeze in. I have added 4 sidings on the inside of the loop, plus another 2 at the other end of the FY board.

One of these 2 sidings will be used to hold sleeper stock when not in use...

post-7247-0-82799400-1473757806_thumb.jpg

By adding a short extension to the NW fiddle yard, I was also able to add another 3 sidings. Most of these sidings are capable of taking at least 4 coaches or equivalent freight stock. Many of these will be used for special trains, such as the tribometer train, the inspection saloon and the nuclear flask train, plus a few DMUs.

These are the 3 extra sidings on the NW fiddle yard...

post-7247-0-17513800-1473757881_thumb.jpg

So I now have a total of 9 sidings on the fiddle yard boards, plus the 13 through loops, which when combined with the platform roads on the layout should enable plenty of prototypical variety, plus a few more special trains run under my modeller's licence, which is fully up to date.

The next job is to wire up the 4 remaining point motors and install a link between the NW and SE fiddle yards, so that trains can move from one fiddle yard to the other without interfering with trains running on the layout.

That will be just about it for the fiddle yards then. Then it will be back to the layout for lots of detailing work across the layout which I have planned. There are also plenty of motive power and rolling stock projects to get on with, now that I have all this extra space to use. More on those anon.

Hope to be back soon with some more updates.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 8

With all the infrastructure work going on behind the scenes at WW, trains are few and far between and the depot is full at the moment...

post-7247-0-57310300-1473758490_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-40934300-1473758492_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-81188500-1473758494_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-89501900-1473758503_thumb.jpg

Fortunately, while I was there, 37418 did pass by on an interesting Speedlink working...

post-7247-0-70927900-1473758705_thumb.jpg

(and yes, I know the signal shouldn't be showing green!)

Cheers for now,

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

With all the infrastructure work going on behind the scenes at WW, trains are few and far between and the depot is full at the moment.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Such perfect model shots that really do make you take a second look at things. Well done! Glad to see you've progressed with the fiddle yards too. Waverley really is an inspiration to me ... I know I've said that before, but it just so good!

Rich

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Even having come back to post #2916 I still have to tell myself it's a model. Probably the single most realistic looking photos I've ever seen of a UK layout. Truly stunning!

Edited by njee20

• RMweb Premium

Dave - I've just shown 30747 the pics in post 2916. and she has paid the ultimate compiment, her words being "there's not a corn flake packet to be seen".   When I show her many layouts, her comment is that the scenery and buildings have been made from corn flake packets.  So this is a true feather in your modelling cap.

• Like 1