Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave

There's so much of interest with this layout and it's great to see it up and running again.  I'm sure you'll iron out running problems shortly - after all, you've accomplished an awful lot since moving.  It really is an impressive design - especially the way it links up to each section - inspirational!

Regards,

Mike

• Like 1

Hello! Came across these today- don't think they'll show anything you haven't seen before but you never know! If anyone could ID the 26 and 27 it'd be much appreciated!

Ian B

post-7862-0-25679700-1363027415.jpg

post-7862-0-28234000-1363027416.jpg

post-7862-0-28330200-1363027417.jpg

post-7862-0-41520400-1363027419.jpg

post-7862-0-38739700-1363027420.jpg

post-7862-0-24502400-1363027421.jpg

post-7862-0-03265900-1363027422.jpg

post-7862-0-86612000-1363027422.jpg

PS forgive the fingers- I was only about 8 or 9 at the time!!!

• Like 4

Hello! Came across these today- don't think they'll show anything you haven't seen before but you never know! If anyone could ID the 26 and 27 it'd be much appreciated!

Ian B

attachicon.gifCoaches at HA Open Day comp.jpg

Wow...

One of my most favorite liveries, and seeing them mixed together looks the bizz...

Good memories their ah kid...

The 'No Hi-Vis' days hey...

Jamie

PS, sorry Dave, I can't help with the cl27...

• Like 1

Dave, thanks very much for posting your latest pictures, your 'board walkaround' really gives a good insight and feel as to how Waverley has evolved and works as a layout. I had to look twice at the last shot with the platform ends and Hst, it's superbly realistic. I remember the 85 open day, I was there! Am I right in thinking 37114 newly named Dunrobin Castle was there?

What a thoroughly enjoyable read.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info- 26010 seems to have haunted me everywhere!!! And yes, it was the 1985 open day.

I'd forgotten the 150 was kicking around- that would make an unusual addition in that livery!!!

Fantastic to see Waverley back in one piece- been too long!

• Like 1

Hi Dave

What DCC Controller do you use and are all your points and signals operated via the DCC Controller...

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

I use a ZTC 511 controller, which I like a lot, although I've just had to send it off to ZTC for some repairs. It's served me pretty well for the past 10 years or so though, so I can't complain too much. All the points on the main line are controlled via ZTC accessory controllers. Before the move, the depot yard points were controlled from a mimic panel. Right now they're not controlled at all, as I'm still deciding whether to switch them over to DCC too. I like using a switch panel but the idea of eliminating all point switches altogether does appeal. All the points and signals are controlled via route settings, which set a route through the station and round the entire layout, which is great. Controlling the layout without route setting would be very tedious.

Cheers,

Dave

Guest bri.s

Absolutely brilliant from the planning how you've got that size station to look so good in that space is genius, to the modelling just excellent the photos just put the icing on the cake as has been said above some of the b+w photos look real keep up the good work

P.s how big is the layout from the princess bridge to the back of the station I.e how big is the station plus the point work

Cheers bri.s

• Like 1

Good to see WW back operational again, loving the latest photos.

How good did HSTs look in Intercity Swallow?! Great livery.

I would love to have a room like that for Boxenby!

Keep the photos coming Dave.

Thanks Alex. The HSTs certainly did look smart in Intercity Swallow. It was a shame the livery didn't last very long.

Cheers,

Dave

Absolutely brilliant from the planning how you've got that size station to look so good in that space is genius, to the modelling just excellent the photos just put the icing on the cake as has been said above some of the b+w photos look real keep up the good work

P.s how big is the layout from the princess bridge to the back of the station I.e how big is the station plus the point work

Cheers bri.s

Thanks bri.s. The layout is about 8' from the back of the station to the Mound Tunnels. If I should ever need to fit the layout into a smaller space, I reckon I could rebuild it as a tail-chasing 11' x 8' layout and still keep at least the station section, which is not bad for (half) the second-largest main line station in the UK.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've just stumbled across this from looking at images of Edinburgh Waverley station.

I'd just like to say that how anyone can make something so convincingly real is completely beyond my comprehension and is a credit to your modelling skills. Looking through the many pages of this thread I've seen the most amazing insight into a hobby I've just gotten back in to after a 30 year absence.

Please, please, keep the pictures coming and thank you for sharing such a wonderful layout.

Mike

• Like 2

Guest bri.s

Thanks bri.s. The layout is about 8' from the back of the station to the Mound Tunnels. If I should ever need to fit the layout into a smaller space, I reckon I could rebuild it as a tail-chasing 11' x 8' layout and still keep at least the station section, which is not bad for (half) the second-largest main line station in the UK.

Cheers,

Dave

sometimes look at this thread and think am gonna rip my track up start all over again with a station like yours or widenshaw but with a bit of tetley mills thrown in for good measure

A real inspiration with what you've got in the space

Bri.s

Now to those track pins lol

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

Set my space-time continuum displacement machine to the 1980s again today, so Waverley West is back in BR Blue mode again.

47711 is seen parked in the stabling siding on the north side of the station...

post-7247-0-71421800-1365676580_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-74281500-1365676600_thumb.jpg

It's been a frustrating time recently at WW, partly because I cannot find 4 of the 6 Mk 3s which make up my blue/grey push-pull set anywhere.

My ZTC 511 has also been back with ZTC for repair and I'm currently considering whether to let them keep it until the 611 update is available. As a result I've not been able to run any trains recently, although I thought I would try plugging in my dad's Hornby Select controller to see how that goes and maybe run a train or two.

The upshot is that with no trains running, I've actually been quite busy working on the layout (as well as searching for coaches), so I hope to be back soon with an update or two.

Cheers for now,

Dave

• Like 7