Kinsley Colliery - Project Update

Gallows Close

Hello RM Webbers,

I thought I would start a thread to show the progress I'm making with a project to build a rail served colliery in the Yorkshire area. As is so often the way a new project begins with a house move, and this is no exception. The rail part of the layout utilises the boards from my previous project. The colliery part is new. Below is an overview of the railway lines wich are fairly complete. It is supposed that the tracks represent the Leeds to Doncaster line, and the once extensive colliery sidings to the left have been reduced to two stabling sidings. In anticipation of the mine and branch closing the junction retained it's local 'box when the ECML was electrified and resignalled, so you have the somewhat incongruous site of the Leeds branch of the ECML controlled by an ancient signal box fo a couple of miles.

IMG_1136.jpg

The colliery will be situated to the left of the tracks in the view above. The mine itself will be based on the buildings at Taff Merthyr (beacause I like that mine) as they were in the early 1990's. There will be a single power house, upcast and downcast shafts and a washery. I would also like to build the rapid loader at some stage in the future.

IMG_1134.jpg

This is the dowcast shaft headgear under construction which scales out at 110 ft tall. The winding sheaves scale at 20 ft diameter.

IMG_1140.jpg

Last photo for now of an empty MGR train leaving the branch with a class 58 at the head. Empty? Yes - Driver training!

IMG_1128.jpg
Cheers,
Chris.

post-6842-0-41060700-1408287027.jpg

post-6842-0-75461700-1408287183.jpg

Edited by Gallows Close
  • Like 13

Hi Chris, excellent work so far. The pit head is going to be rather impressive and will certainly add to what is already a superb layout. I am thinking lots of Knottingley based Grids……….

Looking forward to seeing this one progress. Cracking work.

Wow Chaps,

Thanks for the reponses. I started a thread because I've been short on modelling time, and needed a push to progress with the mine project. Now I feel compelled to make regular progress.

This looks amazing, cant wait to see more! B)

Cheers Arpley. The rail side of the project has been culled from my aborted Diggle layout. It has been totally rewired during the summer, interlocked and ;) tested! (played with) I have some (I hope) interesting lineside features up my sleeve, so hopefully I'll have something to show on that front soon.

I pass this location in real life every day so will certainly be keeping an eye out!

The real location is to the east of Hemsworth villiage between Lowfield Road and the A628 Hemsworth Bypass. There was an NCB operated Kinsley Drift mine which closed before The Strike. The mine I'm building supposes a deep mine was sunk to the south of Hemsworth Colliery (which was at Kinsley) if that makes sense - Hence Kinsley South Colliery.

Excellent stuff - really enjoyed your 210 DEMU stuff on your Workbench thread. Look forward to seeing more of this layout.

Thanks Melly. I enjoyed the 210 build very much. It is the only one I've ever seen. Hope the layout thread is as enjoyable.

This looks rather interesting :)

OLHE and industrial railways on the same layout - not a common choice and the better for it I think!

Industry and railways go hand in hand. I just wanted to do something other than a passenger layout for once. I hope that the greater part of the modelling interest will be in the mine. Look out for the stock yard - There'll be Dowty chock-shields, roof rings and all kinds of materials ready to go underground. I even have plans for a Dosco Dintheader, and an Anderson Boyes shearer. My daughter has also asked if the Manager's Office can have a duck pond outside - I'll have to see about that one.....

There is of course all the usual Donny to Leeds traffic to throw in.

Hi Chris, excellent work so far. The pit head is going to be rather impressive and will certainly add to what is already a superb layout. I am thinking lots of Knottingley based Grids……….

Bring it on! I'll line up the Grids and Bones for a photo shoot next time we have some good weather.

Thanks for all the good words of support,

Chris

Hello RM Webbers,

I have made good progress this week with the downcast (fresh air) shaft headgear for Kinsley. There are a few things to do, most notably to add the platform around the sheaves and paint it British Coal blue. If the weather holds I might even get it done later today. Once this one is finished I will make a start on the upcast shaft, which is of equal size, but fully clad in corrugated sheet in order to be air tight - see link below.

Here are a couple of pics of progress so far.

IMG_1149.jpg

IMG_1148.jpg

It is quite difficult to photograph inside as the headframe blends in to the decorations being white at the moment. The headframe stands at 40 cm tall.

Here is a link to Taff Merthyr Colliery on which my model will be based.

Cheers,

Chris

• Like 2

Very interesting idea. I hope you don't mind (I can delete if you do :rolleyes: ) but I am inserting a photograph of the reception sidings at Littleton Colliery on the West Coast Electrification. Your layout is so similar, down to the retention of a pre-group signal box. The photograph was taken 29 March 1989 from the cab of the colliery shunter. The passing loco is 86207.

The board crossing from the box would be a nice detail for your model.

Paul Bartlett

post-387-0-31901700-1297010111_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Great photo Paul- one of my favourite locations! An LNWR type box (in use as a shunt frame :lol: )and AC overhead electrics- what more can a girl ask for?

This picture illustrates for me why locations such as Littleton's with no station are such an attractive proposition for a model. Kinsley Colliery is a layout that shares the same philosophy as mine and ticks all the boxes.

I look forward to seeing it develop.

• Like 1

Hello RM Webbers,

I did manage a coat of blue on the headframe today - and it is BLUE. It will need a second coat, before a good weathering. The light was going when I took this in the garden today.

IMG_1152-1.jpg

if you need and additional locomotives to cope with the flow flosset can send over some extra traction to cover some workings :) keep up to good work

david

Thanks David, but much as I love Grids it would be a long way for you to bring them from Osset to Holland. I'll line up some class 56 action next time I have the boards out :)

Very interesting idea. I hope you don't mind (I can delete if you do :rolleyes: ) but I am inserting a photograph of the reception sidings at Littleton Colliery on the West Coast Electrification. Your layout is so similar, down to the retention of a pre-group signal box. The photograph was taken 29 March 1989 from the cab of the colliery shunter. The passing loco is 86207.

The board crossing from the box would be a nice detail for your model.

Paul Bartlett

I love the photo Paul - Thanks. I am intending to insert a foot crossing protected by a white light as below, and here.

GoogleView2.jpg

I had no idea that Littleton Colliery looked so simailar from the rail side, I have just imagineered Kinsley to fit in an approximate geographic location.

Thanks for all the comments and input, more always welcome of course,

Cheers,

Chris.

• Like 5

Hello RM Webbers,

Thanks David, but much as I love Grids it would be a long way for you to bring them from Ossett to Holland. I'll line up some class 56 action next time I have the boards out :)

yeah i must admit holland is a fair way to travel, truth be told i never even noticed where you where from :blush: but ill look forward to those photos :)

david

Thanks everyone for your replies,

Realy starting to take shape nicely........:rolleyes:

I must say I'm quite pleased with the headgear, although looking at photos of the real thing I do need to tame down the blue. I based the British Coal blue colour on a late eighties photo at Marine Colliery - which must have been fairly fresh (obviously as it was about to be shut), but the colour I need is a much more faded version. I'm going to have a try with the airbrush at the weekend to match the colour and weather it down.

Great photo Paul- one of my favourite locations..…

…..This picture illustrates for me why locations such as Littleton's with no station are such an attractive proposition for a model. Kinsley Colliery is a layout that shares the same philosophy as mine and ticks all the boxes.

Yes! It is nice to make a layout with no passenger facilities - the interest comes from the industry and not the people input. I hope I can do it justice.

Now that is just stunning, what a superb piece of modelling. The headframe is a masterpiece, I look forward to seeing a nice Romanian BR Blue Grid on MGRs with the colliery in the background!

Can’t wait to see more progress……

Thanks Alex. I need to make the upcast shaft headgear next. I think the two headgear towers next to each other will be impressive. It is amazing to see how big these things are when modelled to scale.

yeah i must admit holland is a fair way to travel, truth be told i never even noticed where you where from :blush: but ill look forward to those photos :)

david

I used to be Yorkshire based, but now I have to make do with creating my own bit of 'home'.

Thanks for all the comments - the encouragement is really appreciated. Just out of interest are there any miners on the forum?

Cheers,

Chris.

Hello RM Webbers,

I have changed the blue on the down cast shaft head gear today, and although it needs a second coat and a good weathering I could not resist setting up the layout to 'see how it looked'. I'm quite pleased with how the layout seems bigger than it is, with the headgear looking set well back from the line. See what you think....

56113PitEngine.jpg

I also took a picture from the A628.

RoadPit-1.jpg

Once I've got the second coat of paint on it I will add the steps, handrails and build the pit bank. This shaft will be the coal winding shaft, and I need to represent the skip unloading equipment which can be seen here being installed at Deep Navigation Colliery. I will also build the power house. This building will have to straddle the baseboard join. I plan to make it split across the roof ridge, but we'll see how that goes - It'll be a big building anyway!

And then, well - this one is just playing really. You can't beat a Grid on the MGRs. This is the 6K62 Milford Sidings to Kinsley.

56113-Empties.jpg

Cheers,

Chris.

• Like 5