Lenz 2011

To be perfectly frank, Lenz took their foot off the gas about 4 years ago and have switched their attention and most of their development money into RTR models.

I agree that it's a disappointment, considering that Lenz led the way and gave the NMRA and the rest of the World its own digital control system, i.e. DCC, as an open standard to be used by all other companies.

This year it looks like the only new items are PluX fitted versions of their existing decoder range and a new function decoder.

The replacement for the SET100 and LZV100 which was due out in 2010, will be the major new release for 2011, but was already announced as part of the 2010 range.

There's also a new USB and Ethernet interface module which allows some wireless connection through a router. This means you can operate your layout via an iPhone if you like this type of gadget!

http://www.lenz-elek...s-pc-router.php

That was announced last year and was expected to be available towards the end of 2010, so I'm not sure why they are saying it's "Neu".

(note: It still hasn't been released yet.)

Like the LZV200 and revised Start SETs, it was announced a month or two after the 2010 announcement last February, so that might be why they're still listing it as "New"

ESU are doing the same. Products announced in 2010, but after the 2010 range announcements in February (Nuremburg show) are being listed as "Neu" for 2011.

A good example is the LokPilot V4.0 decoder, announced in October 2010 and already in the shops from November, but listed as new for 2011 in yesterdays announcement.

There's also a new USB and Ethernet interface module which allows some wireless connection through a router. This means you can operate your layout via an iPhone if you like this type of gadget!

http://www.lenz-elek...s-pc-router.php

2 years too late I think. Products like WiThrottle & EngineDriver are already out there for around £5 for the paid app or free for the lite version. Both run with JMRI which is a free download. A cheap router can be had either used from around £15 or new for £25. Best of all these products are system generic and not tied to Lenz or any manufacturer. A Sprog II is £50 compared to over £110 for the Lenz USB interface.

• RMweb Premium

2 years too late I think. Products like WiThrottle & EngineDriver are already out there for around £5 for the paid app or free for the lite version. Both run with JMRI which is a free download. A cheap router can be had either used from around £15 or new for £25. Best of all these products are system generic and not tied to Lenz or any manufacturer. A Sprog II is £50 compared to over £110 for the Lenz USB interface.

Hi

The beauty of the new Lenz interface with the WiThottle is that it doesn't require a PC to be booted up everytime you want to run the layout.

Cheers

Paul

Hi

The beauty of the new Lenz interface with the WiThottle is that it doesn't require a PC to be booted up everytime you want to run the layout.

Cheers

Paul

Precisely. Well said Paul.

The Lenz implementation is for the use of TouchCab, which is also "already out there" and available for use on the ECoS. Again no need for a PC to be connected, or software to be running.

There are some competing Apps appearing too for other systems.

Whatever the uses and benefits of JMRI (and I'm sure it's brilliant at what it does), it is and will remain a GEEKS tool.

Anyone with a Lenz, ECoS or any other system that similar wireless control apps are being made available for, can use them without having to have a PhD in gobbledygook.

They can also use these inexpensive wireless throttles without the need to use any other form of software application, no matter how easy or difficult to use.

They also seem to have upgraded Railcom so that it immediately recognises a loco as it is put on the track. This presumably only works where both the decoder and the command station has the upgraded capability - possibly a bad move to upgrade so soon when Railcom barely has a foothold on doing anything useful?

Zimo may be able to offer this feature by software upgrade, but Lenz command stations are upgradeable only by component exchange and their decoders not at all.

They also seem to have upgraded Railcom so that it immediately recognises a loco as it is put on the track.

That has always been a feature of RailCom and AFAIUI has been available since the first modules went on sale.

One of the bonuses would be for users of layout control software - place any RailCom equipped loco on the track and its identity and location will automatically be recognised.

if it's moving, the direction and speed etc, will be recognised immediately without it leaving the first block.

Zimo may be able to offer this feature by software upgrade, but Lenz command stations are upgradeable only by component exchange and their decoders not at all.

Not so Edwin.

The current range of Version 7 series decoders (Standard+, Silver+ and Gold+) are firmware upgradeable.

Also, I believe from the latest system update, the Lenz Command Station/Booster can now be updated at home by download.

Whatever the uses and benefits of JMRI (and I'm sure it's brilliant at what it does), it is and will remain a GEEKS tool.

Anyone with a Lenz, ECoS or any other system that similar wireless control apps are being made available for, can use them without having to have a PhD in gobbledygook.

They can also use these inexpensive wireless throttles without the need to use any other form of software application, no matter how easy or difficult to use.

Ahh, but its the 'geeks' that are going to be the first to implement smartphone throttles, not the average Joe. They are going to be the people that already have a PC hooked up to their DCC. Lenz is behind the curve as the bulk of what would have been their early adopters will have gone down a different road before their interface gets to market. Thats what I meant by them being 2 years too late. To use myself as an example, I've been running WiThrottle for about 8 months. I used a router which became surplus when my broadband was upgraded, the laptop is a dinosaur which was free after rebuilding 2 into 1, and the iPhones are my old ones prior to upgrade. My total cost to add wireless throttle to my DCC setup was £5 for the full blown app. I'm not alone. There are at least 3 or 4 layouts on the 'circuit' so far which are using second hand bits to run smartphone throttles. The Lenz system will have to be pretty amazing or be very inexpensive to tempt these people into buying their gear.

As for JMRI being a Geeks tool, you couldn't be further wrong. Maybe in its earliest versions but not today. Its a simple one click install and 2 selectable settings to identify your DCC setup. Then you are off and running. No remembering CVs with Decoder Pro, Starting WiServer is just another click, on screen throttles if you want them, Simples. From there you can grow into the additional functionality if and only if you want to. Creating control panels is as simple as dropping icons onto a window, then matching the point numbers up. Beyond that, like any open source software the uber-geeks that want more out of it can tinker under the hood.

That has always been a feature of RailCom and AFAIUI has been available since the first modules went on sale.

One of the bonuses would be for users of layout control software - place any RailCom equipped loco on the track and its identity and location will automatically be recognised.

if it's moving, the direction and speed etc, will be recognised immediately without it leaving the first block.

So what is the new feature they are actually announcing at the top of this page? I don't see an English version anywhere and my German isn't brilliant but I thought I got the gist of it.

Not so Edwin.

The current range of Version 7 series decoders (Standard+, Silver+ and Gold+) are firmware upgradeable.

Also, I believe from the latest system update, the Lenz Command Station/Booster can now be updated at home by download.

I stand corrected re the decoders, I haven't paid much attention to the Lenz range since I standardised on Zimo. It isn't mentioned on the decoder pages of the Digital Plus site but I notice a software upgrading module has appeared on another page. I don't see it on the A&H site so it may not have been released yet.

I read about the command station download too, but I think at present this may also be vapourware.

• RMweb Premium

Ahh, but its the 'geeks' that are going to be the first to implement smartphone throttles, not the average Joe. They are going to be the people that already have a PC hooked up to their DCC. Lenz is behind the curve as the bulk of what would have been their early adopters will have gone down a different road before their interface gets to market. Thats what I meant by them being 2 years too late. To use myself as an example, I've been running WiThrottle for about 8 months. I used a router which became surplus when my broadband was upgraded, the laptop is a dinosaur which was free after rebuilding 2 into 1, and the iPhones are my old ones prior to upgrade. My total cost to add wireless throttle to my DCC setup was £5 for the full blown app. I'm not alone. There are at least 3 or 4 layouts on the 'circuit' so far which are using second hand bits to run smartphone throttles. The Lenz system will have to be pretty amazing or be very inexpensive to tempt these people into buying their gear.

As for JMRI being a Geeks tool, you couldn't be further wrong. Maybe in its earliest versions but not today. Its a simple one click install and 2 selectable settings to identify your DCC setup. Then you are off and running. No remembering CVs with Decoder Pro, Starting WiServer is just another click, on screen throttles if you want them, Simples. From there you can grow into the additional functionality if and only if you want to. Creating control panels is as simple as dropping icons onto a window, then matching the point numbers up. Beyond that, like any open source software the uber-geeks that want more out of it can tinker under the hood.

Hi

Sorry but you are missing my point. I don't want to have to boot a PC up just to run my layout which is why I prefer the iPod + Lenz new interface solution.

I have enough of PC programming during the day without having to do it when I get home.

Cheers

Paul

So what is the new feature they are actually announcing at the top of this page? I don't see an English version anywhere and my German isn't brilliant but I thought I got the gist of it.

Firstly, I've no first hand experience of RailCom, so I'm not quite sure how standard RailCom equipped decoders are detected, but I've assumed they would respond to interrogation (polling) once placed on the layout. Someone else may have a better handle on this?

From what I can gather, it looks as if the RailComPlus decoders automatically start sending data once placed on the live track without polling.

The other improvements seem to revolve around the slicker (lighter) and faster data packets, which increases the bandwidth allowing for more data transmission and resultant improved functionality.

My German is virtually non-existant, but here is some Googl'ese from the announcement.

.... and suddenly says the decoder! Waiting for the model railroader to put a locomotive onto the track and the centre immediately recognises the decoder, the address of the locomotive, the parameters set and the information appears on the display.

Whether it is a new engine with default settings or a decoder which is already programmed with values.

No more searching for locomotive and set CV-values! The decoder shall submit its complete information automatically to the system.

The solution is RailComPlus ®

RailComPlus ® is the logical development of DCC and RailCom ®. It supplements the basic technology with a whole set of new features that make the control of locomotives, switches and signals easier and offers more game features.

The automatic registration method RailComPlus ® was developed by ESU on the basis of Lenz RailCom ® and is another milestone for bidirectional communication.

DCC with RailComPlus ® is produced by Lenz and ESU - shared licensing. Thus, the layout with DCC on the safe side - in the future (future-proofed).

All this can RailComPlus.....

Login

A RailComPlus ® - decoder-equipped locomotive automatically logs on to the system and announces its name and address. Of course, it also works where several new locomotives are on the track.

An individual locomotive name is optional, of course, also possible: for example, may be two "class 64" in "bob 1" and"bob 2" Rename!

Move

If you want to drive your locomotive on the layout of a friend, then the locomotive reports itself there again, or just use the plain 2/4 digit address of the locomotive.

Feature puzzles?

With RailComPlus ® the decoder tells the features of the locomotive. You realise what function are available and whether they are momentary (eg a whistle/horn) or a continuous function (engine noise).

Leaner and faster

New RailComPlus ® packages enable faster transmission of commands to the decoder, the bandwidth of DCC is improving.

Programming superfluous

The best thing seen: you can now forget Programming and Reading on the programming track.

Digital plus and RailComPlus ®

We implement RailComPlus ® in all our Lenz Digital Plus products, so far we are at the decoders:

In the future, RailComPlus ® will be integrated in all our digital decoders.

For updatable decoder (version 7.x), a corresponding decoder description file is available for free, for updating the decoder software such as the decoder program.

About the further progress of RailComPlus ®, we will report up to date information on our website!

Questions and answers about RailComPlus ®

What do I need to register my own locomotives in the future at the centre?

You need a strong central RailComPlus ® and decoders, which have implemented RailComPlus ®.

How do I know RailComPlus ® compatible products?

They recognize RailComPlus ® enabled products on the logo. The logo may only carry products that comply with the standard ® RailComPlus to 100%.

How do I know which address is "hidden" behind the name of my engine?

The real address can be viewed at any time. RailCom ® Plus is reluctant always distinguished:

If the address on the introduction of the "new" engine is not used elsewhere, it is maintained. If the address is already in use elsewhere, then a new address is assigned: either automatically or with your choice.

How do you ensure the smooth cooperation between different manufacturers safe?

RailComPlus ® was the responsible companies Lenz and ESU carefully defined and documented. RailComPlus ® contains a full set of functionalities and internal commands that must be fully implemented all of them.

Before a product can bear the logo (and thus indicates that it plays along smoothly with your other components), every product undergoes extensive testing.

Can decoder with RailComPlus ® also be used from older centres?

Of course. RailComPlus ® is fully backward compatible with all relevant DCC standards.

If necessary, RailComPlus ® can be turned off completely via a CV.

Can older DCC decoders operate on RailComPlus ® enabled systems?

Of course. Each system with RailComPlus ® is a normal DCC system. Of course, the system is not clairvoyant: therefore with older (non-RailComPlus®) decoders you will need to enter the locomotive address and functions manually.

Which track systems can be used with RailComPlus ®?

Basically RailComPlus ® is suitable for all track systems and gauges. RailComPlus ® can also be used on 3-rail ac systems.

Depending on the command station, it may also be used in mixed operation with Motorola ® or mfx ® decoders.

Can I upgrade my old decoder with RailComPlus ®?

This depends on the decoder. For updatable Lenz Digital Plus decoders (version 7.x), we provide a free upgrade. The update can e.g. done with the decoder programmer.

What train symbol and function keys symbols?

The list of symbols is constantly expanding. This guarantees that for all possible functions in the future, appropriate symbols will be available.

Which manufacturers will offer RailComPlus compatible products?

Basically every manufacturer in the DCC, Lenz and ESU responsible companies to be licensed to RailComPlus ®.

I don't know if that's any help?

I stand corrected re the decoders, I haven't paid much attention to the Lenz range since I standardised on Zimo. It isn't mentioned on the decoder pages of the Digital Plus site but I notice a software upgrading module has appeared on another page. I don't see it on the A&H site so it may not have been released yet.

I read about the command station download too, but I think at present this may also be vapourware.

I can't remember, but off the top of my head, the change to user self updating of the command station/booster might be on the next update (4.0 ?), when the handsets also acquire some new features.

The details about the decoders is there if you look. There's also a video somewhere, from a Lenz workshop/briefing last year, where it is talked about by the former Lenz US distributor.

Regards

Ron

Thanks Ron, the translation moreorless confirms what I thought. I think the new feature is that the decoder transmits its identity and other information when it is powered up, probably with the command station doing some sort of adjudication so everyone isn't shouting each other down when the layout is switched on! This is a nice feature to have and may be a good reason for people to get Railcom, which up to now has been something of a solution looking for a problem.

I doubt it would work for me because the diodes in my track circuits probably block the Railcom voltage from getting back to the command station. Also although I have a LZV100 I mostly use Zimo decoders, and although Zimo support Railcom they are conspicuous by their absence from this announcement on Railcom+.

Thanks Ron, the translation moreorless confirms what I thought. I think the new feature is that the decoder transmits its identity and other information when it is powered up, probably with the command station doing some sort of adjudication so everyone isn't shouting each other down when the layout is switched on! This is a nice feature to have and may be a good reason for people to get Railcom, which up to now has been something of a solution looking for a problem.

You're welcome. It took a bit of time to copy and reformat that lot so it would be readable, but I hope it was worth it.

I don't think there's anything new in that particular feature as RailCom equipped locos were always immediately identified at "power-up" or if placed on the "active" layout.

I suspect it's the way it works that has changed slightly, allowing for a faster flow of information and speeding up of the functionality.

I doubt it would work for me because the diodes in my track circuits probably block the Railcom voltage from getting back to the command station. Also although I have a LZV100 I mostly use Zimo decoders, and although Zimo support Railcom they are conspicuous by their absence from this announcement on Railcom+.

Lenz and ESU have made their announcements this week to coincide with the Nuremberg Toy Fair, the biggest model trade show in Europe.

Zimo have abstained from Nuremberg for the last few years due to a dispute, so they're not in the habit of announcing new products at the start of that trade show.

As all their decoders can have firmware upgraded, I think it will only be a matter of time before they're sporting RailComPlus.

re: iPhones, Lenz, JMRI, et al.

Can I stick my 0.02c Canadian in here?

I'm a geek, write iPhone apps, managed a large open source project used around the world (about a million downloads, from what we can see). Was on the HTML5 W3C Working Group for a while. yada yada... now on to the good stuff:

My take on wireless is this. My work-based development iPhones and iPads and so on are always needing recharging. They also, by design, require you to look at them. (NOT tactile feedback) I originally was quite interested in them, I'm less so now - they are great tools, but I'd rather be looking at trains than a touch screen. I did write the beginnings of a JMRI wireless throttle app for them, but have shelved that for the time being.

My current thoughts are that I really like the Roco Multimaus PRO throttles. They use a very low power wireless protocol; much lower in power consumption than WiFi and Bluetooth. Batteries are easy to change, although they should last years. Yes, they are expensive, but cross fingers they will last a long time. I've got one on order and hope to hook it up to my Lenz system, after a bit of sw development.

If you are interested, you can look for my build of Georgio's XnTCP and iPhone thoughts, at: http://www.ovar.ca/I...nge/apr2010.pdf

I also have another article on building simple XPressNet throttles in the Feb 2011 issue, which is not on line yet, last time I looked. (as a guess: http://www.ovar.ca/I...nge/feb2011.pdf when it is put on-line) Oh - my throttle code + build info is at the DIYExpressNet group at groups.yahoo.com

It is indeed interesting times!

JohnS.

Archived