Horseley Fields - N Gauge layout (was Dibben Junction)

Revolution Ben

• RMweb Gold

Hi Steven,

I've never wondered whether you could actually navigate the canal boats in - we just plonk them in place! There's no "turning circle" undercut in the retaining walls so you may be right and parking one of the boats would be a bit of a squeeze!

I guess our excuse is that the wharf was designed for shorter boats!

And the roof is not exactly sound - so rather than the leisure boats, perhaps we should depict a half sunk, delapidated barge in one of the wharf bays?

cheers

Ben A.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Apologies for the lack of updates on Horseley Fields; this has been a combination of progress being somewhat limited during the winter period and me forgetting to take photographs when the opportunity arose!

However, we have now almost completed the station and station car park area; this photo shows an overview with trees and platform signs installed. We have the catenary masts built (a superb job by member Stephen Browne) however they were removed while the scenic work was being undertaken and I forgot to replace them for the photo.

post-420-0-44739800-1327610650_thumb.jpg

This is a close-up of the station forecourt showing the bus stop. When exhibiting I suspect there may be a few cars parked in the car park!

post-420-0-65881900-1327610728_thumb.jpg

Out of sight, the group's "chief engineer" John Ruff has massively extended the fiddle yard so we can run more trains; indeed, to give an idea: at Model Rail live we were able to run a maximim of 7 trains in each direction; I now estimate that we will be able to run around 18-20 trains in each direction depending on their length and the agility of the operators' minds!

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Really nice road markings. Are they all painted on by hand?

The road markings were produced using Corel Draw.

Guidelines for road markings are available here: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002/3113/contents/made there are diagrams of the various types of markings among the schedules about half way down the page.

And the road lettering font (called "pavement") can be downloaded here: http://www.cbrd.co.uk/fonts/

There are numerous "tarmac" textures that can be downloaded as a base; once I'd worked out where the yellow lines, markings and lettering would go the whole lot was drawn full size in CorelDraw . I used some of the drawing texture tools to give the lettering that weathered look that real road markings have. Once I was happy, it was all printed onto A4 self adhesive labels.

These were sprayed with artist's fixative and stuck down.

I am not necessarily convinced of the longevity of this technique but individual sections can easily be reprinted if required in the future.

cheers

Ben A.

The road markings were produced using Corel Draw.

Guidelines for road markings are available here: http://www.legislati...3/contents/made there are diagrams of the various types of markings among the schedules about half way down the page.

And the road lettering font (called "pavement") can be downloaded here: http://www.cbrd.co.uk/fonts/

There are numerous "tarmac" textures that can be downloaded as a base; once I'd worked out where the yellow lines, markings and lettering would go the whole lot was drawn full size in CorelDraw . I used some of the drawing texture tools to give the lettering that weathered look that real road markings have. Once I was happy, it was all printed onto A4 self adhesive labels.

These were sprayed with artist's fixative and stuck down.

I am not necessarily convinced of the longevity of this technique but individual sections can easily be reprinted if required in the future.

cheers

Ben A.

Superb stuff! It would be nice to see some shots with the finished overhead masts. The road artwork is very good although I share concerns about longevity, my main worry being the strength of adhesive on the paper but as you say it can be easily replaced.

Carl

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

A little more progress on Horseley Fields to report. Station catenary gantries now fitted, along with remaining road signs and ground texture. Some general tidying up done, so a couple of photos, but this time with a couple of trains in too! Apologies that the stock is "straight out of the box" - all will be weathered before appearing at a show!

London Midland DMU arrives at the station as a Freightliner coal train rolls through the avoiding loop.

post-420-0-90656400-1328816282_thumb.jpg

For those interested, Horseley Fields will be at the NGS AGM at Cotgrave on May 26th, at Hoddesdon on July 14th, at the N Gauge International show in Leamington on Sept 8th and 9th, and next year at Stafford with one other show looking fairly certain but yet to be 100% confirmed.

EWS coal train passes London Midland DMU on the viaduct.

post-420-0-22659200-1328816582_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality shots, snatched quickly on the phone, and apologies too to those requesting shots of the improved fiddle yards; these will come next time hopefully.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

LMS forever - On balance we have decided not to put the catenary wires up. Primarily this was because we couldn't think of a way that would be robust enough but also to scale. Having looked closely at catenary wires from a distance they are hardly visible, and the electrified layouts that have most impressed me in the flesh (eg Law Junction) tend not to have them.

Also, I was worried about their suitability for an exhibition layout that would be erected and dismantled frequently, and lastly I was worried about track cleaning!

BTW the A14 was cold but tolerable as I was only about a quarter of a mile from my house!

Scott - I think that more and more people are starting to see N as a viable alternative to OO - so give it a shot!

cheers

Ben A.

Excellent to hear you'll be taking this to the AGM and the Leamington spa show. (Ill get to see this twice then :D )

N gauge is very much showing it's worth atm and with layouts like this flying the flag, I really think we can expect to see the scale grow strongly!

Roll on the shows :D

Regards

Lee

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Another area group meeting and a little more progress, plus the chance for some more photos. Apologies for the quality, but the light wasn't great and they were done using a phone for convenience.

post-420-0-31590700-1329682464_thumb.jpg

As requested - a shot of the expanded fiddle yard:

post-420-0-51074900-1329682010_thumb.jpg

On group days we run anything, though at exhibitions we will be more strict about ensuring contemporary stock. Although of course steam specials will make an appearance!

post-420-0-30432500-1329682120_thumb.jpg

We've also installed a couple of working colour light signals. The layout isn't properly signalled; these are cosmetic. A sensor in the track makes them go red when a train passes, then they cycle back to green on a timer, ready for the next train to come through. At the moment the cycle is perhaps a little longer than we'd like, but this can be adjusted on the circuit board. Apologies for the unweathered hoppers!

post-420-0-67289300-1329682213_thumb.jpg

Some scenic work today completed - small corner of a building site.

post-420-0-30203600-1329682372_thumb.jpg

And the industrial units at the front are now just about done.

post-420-0-53670100-1329682273_thumb.jpg

The scenics are feeling more and more "complete" - next job for me is to detail and weather the main steel terminal building. It needs lights, signage, some gutter/downpipe detail and the yard needs a pair of lighting towers - these will be bt TPM and we already have them.

post-420-0-59798100-1329682519_thumb.jpg

Oh, and we welcomed a new group member today - Roger - which is always nice! Any questions, feel free to ask!

cheers

Ben A.

Archived