An Illustrated History of LMS Wagons - Volume 1

brian777999

Does anybody know when this book will be available : An Illustrated History of LMS Wagons - volume 1 ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Illustrated-History-LMS-Wagons-v-1/dp/1906419337/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=ISK231VO4KFM7&colid=32UX9UZDZWIK0

It has been advertised on Amazon for a few months now and they have even reduced the price but there is still no sign of it actually being available.

Aha, "product details"...I did not see that : 18 Feb 2010. Thank you for pointing it out.

I will keep on looking for an older copy in hardcover until then. Next year is a long time to wait and I badly need the information !

I have volume 2 but it is of limited value compared to volume 1.

Aha, "product details"...I did not see that : 18 Feb 2010. Thank you for pointing it out.

I will keep on looking for an older copy in hardcover until then. Next year is a long time to wait and I badly need the information !

I have volume 2 but it is of limited value compared to volume 1.

Keep looking on the far sale section of this forum as there has been 2 for sale lately, of which I got one of them.

Aye but why reprint it again?

How about an updated version maybe or am I being daft?

Peter Tatlow has taken his auld book and created a meister work on LNER wagons so why not LMS :(

Very strange to me but hey, whatever.....................

This book has been out of print for many years because the original photos/negatives/prints were lost soon after the first print run.

I am happy to be able to get this soft cover version after searching in vain for a reasonably priced second hand copy of the hard cover version. Unless there is a lot of new information to add, perhaps an updated version is not really needed ?

There was a hardback on Amazon over the weekend for about ??15 as it came up when I was sticking the ISBN number into my wagon kit instructions. It really is a case of keeping an online watch list as such. Not sure if you can do this with amazon or if you just need to refresh a search link everytime you go online.

One should turn up though before the new one is published although I realise postage is also more of an issue for you.

It would be a pity though if the errors weren't corrected for the new release.

I see the only copy of "The LMS Wagon" on there is ??99 at the moment!

I have actually bought this book three times now :

1. Lost in the mail...from Amazon.

2. Lost in the warehouse.....Australian bookshop.

3. Sorry, sold it a few days ago and failed to update our lists.....Amazon again.

As you have pointed out, there are always copies available for about 100 pounds each but I am not buying the book for that price. I will be patient ; something will turn up.

Yes, postage from the UK to Australia can be a problem. I have received quotes ranging from 7 pounds to 30 pounds. I am not sure why there is so much variation in postage costs.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, postage from the UK to Australia can be a problem. I have received quotes ranging from 7 pounds to 30 pounds. I am not sure why there is so much variation in postage costs.

Brian

I was one of the recent sellers of this title through RMweb. I packaged volumes 1 and 2 together in a way that I would have thought would have been satisfactory for international mail - bubble-wrap, overall cardboard wrapping, about a mile of parcel tape to hold everything in, brown paper, more parcel tape - and the whole lot weighed in at 2.199Kg. Volume 1 weighs about 980g on its own; volume 2 is about 1050g. With any packaging at all, either one would weigh over 1kg, but not a huge amount over. I can't access the Royal Mail's price guide from work, but ??30 certainly seems like a hell of a lot.

Jim

EDITED because the books weighed 2.199 Kg, not 4.199 as I originally wrote. Sorry :(

I finally found a hardcover copy of this book for a reasonable price. I bought it from Parrott Books for 20 pounds plus 11 pounds postage. It arrived this week ; a perfect copy in almost mint condition. It does pay to be patient as these things always surface eventually.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived