Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Thanks a lot - much simpler than double reverser loops / a complete rebuild/scrapping the layout - I think I understand it, although I've never used any motor accessory switches before - I presume you sort of attach them and when the points move it then moves the switch?

Any recommendations?

Phil

Thanks a lot - much simpler than double reverser loops / a complete rebuild/scrapping the layout - I think I understand it, although I've never used any motor accessory switches before - I presume you sort of attach them and when the points move it then moves the switch?

Any recommendations?

Phil

Yep that pretty much sums it up. If you're happy with the passing contact style of motor then I belive one of the seep types comes with an accessory switch built in. Peco do a seperate switch which mounts onto the bottom of their motor. If you want to do it realistically with lots of expansion options (signals reacting to point settings) then tortoise motors are a winner with more than 1 switch built in. They're a few times more expensive but a lot more reliable.

Yep that pretty much sums it up. If you're happy with the passing contact style of motor then I belive one of the seep types comes with an accessory switch built in. Peco do a seperate switch which mounts onto the bottom of their motor. If you want to do it realistically with lots of expansion options (signals reacting to point settings) then tortoise motors are a winner with more than 1 switch built in. They're a few times more expensive but a lot more reliable.

Many thanks - I've just managed to grab the instructions for the Guagemaster PM1 point motors which I have 'in stock' awaiting fitting, and they have in-built accessory switches.

First job for me (which will be next week I suspect due to a weekend of 2nd birthday celebrations for one of the mini-Beresford Junctions) will be to do the re-wiring of the main line/fiddle yard to swap the polarity, then split out the wiring of the main yard onto a seperate bus.

Oh and one of these days I might get to run some trains again :O

Phil

• Like 1

Many thanks - I've just managed to grab the instructions for the Guagemaster PM1 point motors which I have 'in stock' awaiting fitting, and they have in-built accessory switches.

First job for me (which will be next week I suspect due to a weekend of 2nd birthday celebrations for one of the mini-Beresford Junctions) will be to do the re-wiring of the main line/fiddle yard to swap the polarity, then split out the wiring of the main yard onto a seperate bus.

Oh and one of these days I might get to run some trains again :O

Phil

Good stuff.

Let me know if you want a full proper wiring diagram to work from for soldering in those motors and i'll rustle a better one up for you. I only half mentioned that point 3 works as a kind of interlock on points 1 and 2: 3 needs to be set to yard for you to set 1 and 2 to crossover, but also 1 and 2 can only be set back to straight while 3 is set to the yard. It would be easy enough to re-draw it without that interlock and use point 3's accessory switch to set a red signal further along the down main to protect the junction.

Good stuff.

Let me know if you want a full proper wiring diagram to work from for soldering in those motors and i'll rustle a better one up for you. I only half mentioned that point 3 works as a kind of interlock on points 1 and 2: 3 needs to be set to yard for you to set 1 and 2 to crossover, but also 1 and 2 can only be set back to straight while 3 is set to the yard. It would be easy enough to re-draw it without that interlock and use point 3's accessory switch to set a red signal further along the down main to protect the junction.

Thanks - I think I understand it, but if you have some 'spare' time to do a witing diagram for the motors etc. that would be much appreciated, although no rush. I didn't get chance to do anything last week, as work has been very busy and I'm off again tomorrow with work - Paris in the winter - great.

I might get chance to make a start on re-wiring the under board fiddle yard today, and perhaps fitting the isolators to the points.

In the mean time, some shots I managed to grab last week of some different visitors to the fuelling point.

post-10336-0-38596100-1390037792_thumb.jpg

post-10336-0-23751800-1390037842_thumb.jpg

post-10336-0-11885800-1390037809_thumb.jpg

post-10336-0-24965400-1390037825_thumb.jpg

À bientôt

Phil

• Like 10

A couple more EWS wagons from the Eastleigh show today, to add to the modern engineers train, hauled by Freightliner 70 006.

post-10336-0-31174200-1390767763_thumb.jpg

I also got myself a signal to install at the end of the platform, where the points into the yard cross, however before I embarrass myself by installing the wrong type I need to work out what it should be - any ideas?

Phil

• Like 4

Great pictures and video good choice of stock

I'm presuming you mean the junction on page 1539 I would of thought you'd need a feather signal and possibly a route indicator on the line with the class 20s on and probably another signal on the opposite line at the platform end to protect the junction from the other direction, I'm sure someone will be able to confirm

Whether or not I'm talking rubbish or not

David

Edited by d winpenny

I spent most of last night under the layout sorting out the new return loop and splitting the wiring into the standard bus, plus a yard bus.

I had been quite pleased with my nice tidy wiring, however now I have red and grey, but depending on where you are on the loop, they're different polarity !?!

In the meantime, I managed to catch a quick shot at my regular spotting location - the fuelling point.

post-10336-0-08517800-1391072101_thumb.jpg

post-10336-0-77464500-1391072101_thumb.jpg

Phil

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I didn't know you had a turntable? I assume you must have as that Blue 20 has turned around in the second pic!  

If you're going to use the hand of god to move things, check your continuity before posting you know what people can be like! ;)

I didn't know you had a turntable? I assume you must have as that Blue 20 has turned around in the second pic!  

If you're going to use the hand of god to move things, check your continuity before posting you know what people can be like! ;)

keep up he has a return loop!

• Like 1

keep up he has a return loop!

And if you check the times on the photos, 07:04:17 and 07:05:56, there was obviously enough time for 20090 to move out of the way, 20136 to follow, change direction, go onto the main line, down the helix, through the fiddle yard, round the non-helix return loop, back through the fiddle yard, back up the helix, back into the other side of the fueling point, while 20090 reversed back into position. Perfectly possible in one minute 39 secs, given the speed I go round.

or perhaps the cat just moved it :scratchhead:

• Like 1

Yes.  Freightliner 57's aren't around anymore so wouldn't be stabled next to a 70...  Other than that it looks fine. :jester:

But obviously this was taken as I'd stepped out of my time machine. I think I must have landed in 2009, as 70 006 was delivered in Dec, however that would mean the NR transit model would then be wrong :read:

Edited by Beresford Junction