I presume the photos on the Deacon Nook thread are of the card sheets which do look good. Not sure if they are different to the ones I had which looked very orange in colour. I don't suppose you have any 'before' shots, i.e. with the slabs?

Phil

Yes they are of the card sheets, (M0055)

Metcalfe Self adhesive paving slab platform

Is the slab platform

Edited by pendlerail
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Guess what - things are changing down at Beresford Junction again.

After a few running sessions with the second helix H2, I quickly became bored, on the basis that any trains going round spent so long going up and down the helixes compared to running via the scenic part, of which some is hidden by the new corner and then it desends down the ramp in readiness for H2.

So H2 is going to have to go. My hairbrain scheme I woke up with on the 1st Jan was to split H2 into a top and bottom circuit and create a sort of 'dog bone' I think it's called.

So on the underneath fiddle yard, trains would be able to arrive, turn round at the end and go back up at some point - see this pic

post-10336-0-99408900-1389087197_thumb.jpg

On the top, trains would travel just under the board then re-appear half way along the rise and go back round as can be seen by the track below, which would be underneath the board:

post-10336-0-35910300-1389087197_thumb.jpg

However as I've now worked out, the polarity of the track is all wrong and I'd need two 'reverse loop modules', one for each circuit it's all going wrong, and I think I'm going to abandon certainly the top loop.

I think I'm going to crack on with finishing the scenincs on some other areas. Current thought is to either keep the bottom circuit with a 'reverse loop module', and get rid of the top one, along with turning the slope into either yet another station or just entry to a tunnel.

Looks like its going to be a fun 2014...

Phil

• Like 3

Thanks all. I'll try to explain a bit more, with the aid of some pictures.....

Graham, yes it is in essence a big loop, and assuming I do some fiddling about in the fiddle yard, I can split the tracks apart completely, apart from this single point where the up track crosses the down track to enter the yard.

post-10336-0-09777000-1389126853_thumb.jpg

The red is always on the outside of the loop and the green on the inside, however when you need to go onto the up track to the down track and then on to the yard. but when you throw the points and a loco bridges the isolating joiners it shorts. The polarity is currently the other way round but can easily be swapped.

Some shots of a train coming from the 'up' line into the yard

post-10336-0-29428200-1389126816_thumb.jpg

post-10336-0-60424000-1389126830_thumb.jpg

post-10336-0-23889600-1389126823_thumb.jpg

Suggestions / questions on a postcard please.

Phil

• Like 3

swap the polarity of the inner loop. so from one side its yellow red yellow red.

the polarity needs to be the same so that such things as the above crossover do short not out.

Thanks - that is actually what it is now and it works fine, but that is why I'm going to either need to change it from a loop or install the revers modules.

Phil

No reversing loop needed, just lots of isolating fish plates and accesory switches on the point motors........probably best if I draw it for you rather than describe it and will require another another pair of bus wires specifically for the yard. Interested?

No reversing loop needed, just lots of isolating fish plates and accesory switches on the point motors........probably best if I draw it for you rather than describe it and will require another another pair of bus wires specifically for the yard. Interested?

I did wonder if that might be possible, but couldn't quite work out how, as all the ways I tried there would always be a time when a loco would bridge two different polarity sections.

Presumably you need a number of sections

This is the view of the stretched out plan.

post-10336-0-82086100-1389195128.png

• Like 1

Get a coach or a wagon and put a bit of blue sticky on one side and red on the other corresponding to your +/- or a/b power feeds.

Run the coach around all sections and your polarity , if DC, or a/b if dcc should always correspond to the colour you designated. If it is you should have no problems.

edit  and yep, you have a reversal across those two points, if it is one continuous loop

Edited by Kal

I did wonder if that might be possible, but couldn't quite work out how, as all the ways I tried there would always be a time when a loco would bridge two different polarity sections.

Presumably you need a number of sections

This is the view of the stretched out plan.

attachicon.gifUntitled.png

I'm in work tonight (and expecting it to be very quiet!) so i will draw it all up for you there. Only 1 bit needs to be broken down into a separate section. To help with the drawing, what point motors do you use and do you have accessory switches on them?

I'm in work tonight (and expecting it to be very quiet!) so i will draw it all up for you there. Only 1 bit needs to be broken down into a separate section. To help with the drawing, what point motors do you use and do you have accessory switches on them?

Thanks in advance.

I haven't quite got round to adding the point motors but have a box of them awaiting fitting which I think are the Seep/Guagemaster ones - I'll check when I get home later. I haven't got any accessory switches.

Phil

Thanks in advance.

I haven't quite got round to adding the point motors but have a box of them awaiting fitting which I think are the Seep/Guagemaster ones - I'll check when I get home later. I haven't got any accessory switches.

Phil

ah a blank canvas to work with! If you like the circuit then you could work out what motor accessory switches you want around it. 

Until later tonight........ ;)

ah a blank canvas to work with! If you like the circuit then you could work out what motor accessory switches you want around it. 

Until later tonight........ ;)

Just checked and the un-fitted point motors are the Guagemaster/Seep PM-1

Here's hoping it's a quiet evening at work.

Phil

Just checked and the un-fitted point motors are the Guagemaster/Seep PM-1

Here's hoping it's a quiet evening at work.

Phil

Here's how quiet it's been so far......

I hope these diagrams make sense to you. Top part of each represents the track and it's polarity (blue=isolated) and the bottom part is the related wiring. I've only drawn the crossover between the 2 mainlines and the turnout into the yard. The turnouts are numbered for easy reference, 1 and 2 are the crossover and 3 switches into the yard. i've labled the mainline as up and down......i don't know if they're the right way round but they're just for reference with the guide below!

From a control point of view, 1 switch for changing the crossover is required and 1 is needed for entering the yard. The crossover points 1 and 2 between the mainlines can only be changed if point 3 is set to enter the yard to avoid any accidental shorting. There's a seperate bus for the yard which is fed from the mainline bus. The settings of points 1 and 2 determines the polarity of the yard bus, when the layout is set for trains on the up line to cross and enter the yard the polarity of the tracks will be reversed from their normal state. That's the main thing to remeber during operations!

It's still possible to short it out by accidently driving a 'down' train into the short section of yard bus on the down main when points 1 and 2 are set to crossover, but in theory trains heading in that direction should be stopped anyway as that state means an up train is trying to enter the yard in front of it.

With all that in mind, the 3 diagrams below show:

1: Normal mainline operation

2: Departing yard to Main down

3: Arriving from main up and going into the yard (note reversed polarity)

post-9147-0-10159900-1389299660_thumb.jpg

Any questions?!

• Like 2