Ok - just re-transported back to 2007, once I'd discovered that 57 008 was in DRS livery in 2008.

attachicon.gif20140202_163417.jpg

So what about that cheeky '08 in RF distribution....

ha-ha

great line up mate, just laughing at the 08 comment... or is that 2....

good line up, funny I always think of class 66's when I see Freightliner, but Bachman of bought out about that many in class 57's

thanks for sharing

Jamie

• Like 1

This wiring diagram, how 'simple' would you like it? I'm not happy with way I've drawn it on the previous page because you could accidently lock the crossover between the tracks without realising when trying to set back to main line and short the layout the first time a train comes around. My personal preference when building circuits myself is to make them as idiot proof as possible, but it depends how you are with wiring up?

The options are:

it simply changes points and polarity by your input only which leaves the potential for accidental shorting.

Or as above but with a big bright led to warn you when the crossover is set and polarity is reversed in an attempt to help avoid shorting (does the polarity being reversed make any difference to direction of travel in dcc?) which is a very simple addition to the control panel.

Or finally the full safety interlocked, point resetting, warning signalled, dead section of track preceding crossover diagram which in volves the addition of a few automotive relays and 2 more isolating fishplates. This method also makes it possible to add automatic colour light signalling to the layout if you feel so inclined.

I will draw them all if you're feeling adventurous....

SG

• Like 3

This wiring diagram, how 'simple' would you like it? I'm not happy with way I've drawn it on the previous page because you could accidently lock the crossover between the tracks without realising when trying to set back to main line and short the layout the first time a train comes around. My personal preference when building circuits myself is to make them as idiot proof as possible, but it depends how you are with wiring up?

The options are:

it simply changes points and polarity by your input only which leaves the potential for accidental shorting.

Or as above but with a big bright led to warn you when the crossover is set and polarity is reversed in an attempt to help avoid shorting (does the polarity being reversed make any difference to direction of travel in dcc?) which is a very simple addition to the control panel.

Or finally the full safety interlocked, point resetting, warning signalled, dead section of track preceding crossover diagram which in volves the addition of a few automotive relays and 2 more isolating fishplates. This method also makes it possible to add automatic colour light signalling to the layout if you feel so inclined.

I will draw them all if you're feeling adventurous....

SG

I think I'll probably go for option 3 as anything that stops me shorting things out is good, although 2 sounds a lot simpler

I also like the option of the signals. I bought one the other week to have a play with, but thought that I'd end up having to do it manually.

If I don't watch out I'll soon have a fully automated system like Leaford with magic trains running themselves, auto crash detection........ - oh hang on I've just woken up from my dream.

Phil

I think I'll probably go for option 3 as anything that stops me shorting things out is good, although 2 sounds a lot simpler

I also like the option of the signals. I bought one the other week to have a play with, but thought that I'd end up having to do it manually.

If I don't watch out I'll soon have a fully automated system like Leaford with magic trains running themselves, auto crash detection........ - oh hang on I've just woken up from my dream.

Phil

Well you're in for treat! ;) I did draw up 1 and 2 last night (see below, please bare with my artistic skills), the bit that turns 1 into 2 is the part highlighted in yellow. I had a think on it earlier, to turn it into 3 with everything listed above you're looking at 8 relays and a seperate 12v dc powersupply, which will be very handy if you are going for coloured light signalling!

There's 3 ways I can do this;

1. I can put the diagram on here for you to copy and build and assume it's correct and will work.

2. I can put the diagram on here for you to copy and build and give a step by step guide to what's happening and when on the circuits when the points are changed so if there's issues you have an idea where to start looking or what wires to cut to make it behave!

3. I can knock the circuitry up for you if you're happy to wait as a 'simple' plug-in module. But I don't know what your thoughts are on that or whether you'd want the rest of your layout incorporated at the same time to control everything. It'd end up similar to the primary control panel on Warren Lane but tailored to your preferences. Full diagrams and fault support come as standard despite my 3 second garuentee ;)

Anywho, here's 1 and 2 anyway! So much neater when I can do these on a computer.....

post-9147-0-31106400-1391516237_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Morning all

I thought I'd upload the current track plan (before it changes again):

This is the top level, with the exit to the helix being bottom left.

post-10336-0-52741700-1392792621_thumb.png

The red part is subject to change, with the loop currently going underneath the board then back up again, as can be seen below. I've pretty much decided that this bit isn't going to stay as it's all too fiddly, and almost none of it is actually going to be seen.

post-10336-0-71785700-1392791612_thumb.jpg

So it will either turn into this, i.e. carry on round the corner into some kind of station/dead end, although I'm not favouring this as it will mean more points to allow run-arounds then onto the other line then back round the corner, plus as it's at the back of the layout it will be a bit of a stretch to un-couple things.

post-10336-0-60516900-1392792620_thumb.png

Or perhaps this, which will mean I don't need the corner bit and the station can move further along. There is also the option of yet more sidings - in green, or is this getting silly, and perhaps I should just have some rolling hills for the sheep to graze upon?

post-10336-0-40568600-1392792622_thumb.png

And this is the lower level fiddle yard, again with the helix bottom left.

post-10336-0-76439700-1392792619_thumb.png

In fact, I'm tempted to nip down there before work and get the saw out now!

Phil

• Like 3

A different kind of Sunday enginnering this week.

Getting back to the less is more, the back part of the layout is going to be just scenic. Half of it general rough ground / weeds etc. then some raised banking going up.

post-10336-0-08064200-1393157538_thumb.jpg

post-10336-0-91461500-1393157558_thumb.jpg

So a bit of sawing and hammering has been done, and a quick lick of undercoat applied to the area that will be rough ground.

Phil

• Like 6

The green plan looks good, just need another crossing in the entrance to the station. No run-around in the end needed, train runs in, uncouples from train, another loco comes from the refuelling point to take the departing service. Loco that was stuck on buffers then goes to refuel. A stub siding could be added at the station throat to stable a waiting loco too.

It does change your control circuit diagram a little though but not too much, just let me know what you decide.

The green plan looks good, just need another crossing in the entrance to the station. No run-around in the end needed, train runs in, uncouples from train, another loco comes from the refuelling point to take the departing service. Loco that was stuck on buffers then goes to refuel. A stub siding could be added at the station throat to stable a waiting loco too.

It does change your control circuit diagram a little though but not too much, just let me know what you decide.

Good idea about the little stub siding - I like it, and it would fit in ok, however the wouldn't the loco that attached to the 'back' then departed be going down the up line as it were, as there isn't a way to cross over?

Oh and I've just realised that I'd need to reach right over into the corner to un-couple, or install some kind of un-coupler device etc. I could of course just run DMU's (I have a couple of Arriva 150s).

Also do you think I should keep the station as a 'pretend' through one or make it a little terminus/end of the line, which actually might lend itself better to having the second line as just used for running round - oh hang on, then it would still be going down the up line - now you see what a mess I end up in.

I'll post some pics / more diagrams when I'm back on my real computer later.

Phil

Right, not that I've been bored this morning with nothing better to do....

So - shots of the current 'station' area in the corner - pretty much the Option 4 picture below it. The loco is located where it can comfortably be hand un-coupled.

post-10336-0-02805400-1393237497_thumb.jpg

post-10336-0-60953900-1393237516_thumb.jpg

So here are the options - (1 to 3 were the first/existing versions)

Double line carrying on (to nowhere) with a little holding siding for the loco to attach the back.

post-10336-0-46501100-1393237518_thumb.png

Reduce to a single track for the passenger line to carry on, but with a little siding for the loco. This would be good in the sense that once the loco had attached on the back, it would be ready for going straight down the down line, leaving the original 'trapped' loco to either go and re-fuel or wait in the siding for the next train. This would probably be good for 4 carriages (rather than the 5 shown in the photo on the other platform).

post-10336-0-52920600-1393237519_thumb.png

Again single line passenger line, but using the other line as a run around, but then it would be using the up line to go onto then back onto the back of the carriages and may intefere with other freight going in to the yard - not really sensible.

post-10336-0-60357600-1393237520_thumb.png

Slight variation on 6 to try and improve, but not sure I like this much.

post-10336-0-46058900-1393237521_thumb.png

Same as # 5 above, but with an additional siding to possibly hold some RES coaches in or a holding area for spare carriages, although I like this, it could look a bit busy?

post-10336-0-24182700-1393237522_thumb.png

I currently like either number 8 or number 5.

Thoughts / suggestions / comments welcome.

Phil

• Like 3