Class 86

Bartb

Removing the cab interiors is hit and miss. Some were clip fit without glue but many seem to have been glued in with hardest glue known to mankind so you end up folding the moulding back and forth to break it off leaving a section of the bulkhead up against the rear of the cab roof.

you can always cut out a new full height bulkhead piece from scrap plasticard, paint it rail grey and glue that to your cab moulding to cover over the old piece left behind (you wont really be able to get this out so best leave it in situ). Good chance to fit a driver figure too.

i am of the view that fitment wasnt very good and they sat some little chinese lady down on the production line to glue bits in place so that they wouldnt come loose in the box. makes removal a real chore.

I could have forgiven the model had i been able to obtain some Bachmann Class 85 pantographs to replace the terrible Heljan ones but alas Bachmann do not sell them as spare at the moment :(

Such a great chassis (considerably heavier than the Bachmann 85) shame they got the shell wrong. I would like to see Heljan have another bash at this loco. They need more input from people who know these locos. If only Bachmann had got there first.

Guest jim s-w

They had plenty of input from those who know them at the CAD stage and completely ignored them. No reason to think they would listen now

Cheers

Jim

Thanks for your input,

I think I may just repair as best I can and stuff it in a loco shed pending repairs. I need some insulators and can't seem to locate any (Howes can't help) Can I get a replacement panto and insulators anywhere else?

Regards

Scott

Guest Max Stafford

Such a lost opportunity, the Heljan 86. A new, properly executed bodyshell covering the earlier incarnations of the class would, I suspect do quite well viewed in the context of recent developments. While noting Jim's observations and sympathising with them, I do still live in hope. A set of '66 Mk2 Pullmans to go wouldn't hurt either! ;)

Dave.

Guest jim s-w

Thanks for your input,

I think I may just repair as best I can and stuff it in a loco shed pending repairs. I need some insulators and can't seem to locate any (Howes can't help) Can I get a replacement panto and insulators anywhere else?

Regards

Scott

You can use sommerfeldt pans (which look better and actually work. See http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/2486-p4-new-street/page__st__1325#entry719316

Hth

Jim

Guest jim s-w

You can use them as they come of you want too. They still look and work better than the Heljan thing

Cheers

Jim

• 1 month later...

Hello there. I fancy converting some of these into the 86/2's of the early 80's and I can't get any good roof shots or images to help to back date the model. It looks like the 2 tanks should go and perhaps the aerials and what about the aerial inbetween? Can anyone help me here:

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh19 ... /005-3.jpg

Thanks

Andy

dont think a crossarm exists for an early 86/2, what does exist is something more of a diamond shape (say the early lima 87 pan) but under a low contact wire it kind of looks ok, from a distance.

shame bachmanns class 85 pan isnt available as a spare which would make a decent upgrade to stone fave over heljans "Pylon".

• RMweb Gold

Hi - for my Pantograph I used the Lima one as a basis, bit more work invovled but its just as good as the Sommerfeldt one and is made from the same materials

NL

The Lima lower arm is plastic whereas the Sommerfeldt is metal, also the Lima doesn't have the 'bicycle frame'

dont think a crossarm exists for an early 86/2, what does exist is something more of a diamond shape (say the early lima 87 pan) but under a low contact wire it kind of looks ok, from a distance.

shame bachmanns class 85 pan isnt available as a spare which would make a decent upgrade to stone fave over heljans "Pylon".

Only a few of the 86/2s had cross arm pans, most were Stone Faively. I have heard a rumour of a possible 4mm cross arm... (he said with fingers and everything else - include pan arms - crossed)

Andi

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of posers on the Heljan 86.

So if Heljan arent out to correct the errors should they at least release earlier types and liveries? Granted the cab fronts would need to have the RCH cables and centre headlights ditched or for as built spec have a headcode box but would you like to see an 86/2 variant in BR Blue for example? Or how about an 86/4 with multiple working jumpers?

If they did would you bother to buy them or is this model dead in the water?

Should Heljan set about correcting this model?

Its such a shame the manufacturer seems to have let this stall as it could have been a real seller. It still could be with some work.

I think as discussed earlier in this thread, there's a very narrow range of prototypical (earlier) liveries applicable to the combination of front ends Heljan do, but you can get away with an 86/2 with RCH cables and headlight in BR Blue.

By "as built" I presume you mean "as rebuilt" for 86/2 spec?

So yes, Heljan should seriously consider fixing the faults on the model or it may get sniped from under them if it turns out the Bachmann 85 has stirred things up enough.

Should Heljan set about correcting this model?

Its such a shame the manufacturer seems to have let this stall as it could have been a real seller. It still could be with some work.

Only if someone like Rail Exclusive get involved a la the Class 33. (Though this seems to be suffering from repeated delays.)

Also just found on Heljan's Facebook page that they are producing another electric locomotive - albeit not a uk one.

http://www.facebook....elevant_count=1

However I would be very interested to know if the pantograph on this is going to be any better than the Class 86?

By "as built" I presume you mean "as rebuilt" for 86/2 spec?

No Paddy I was referring to the original "E" builds that had headcode boxes and would thus require, amongst other things, new bogie frames and triangular bodyside mounts like the 85, none resilient wheels (surely easy enough to remove the SAB resilient wheel inserts unless the wheels are pre-cast?) and new cabs to accommodate the boxes and remove the later equipment - its a big ask. Yes also to an 86/2 but without the RCH and high intensity - I am currently working on a conversion of one of the models to pre-RCH days with just a plain front and the two sealed beam markers including a repaint but the pantograph is a let down too and you cant improve it with a Bachmann pan as they dont sell them as spares - well not yet.

I did contact Rail Exclusive last year about possible inclusion of an AC into their program but was advised it would be unlikely due to their current commitments.

Ive taken a look at the new overseas electric loco in the link and although I am not familiar with the class the pantograph does have the same "up on stilts" appearance as the one on the Class 86. Bachmann got their pantograph pretty much bob on and its mounted nice and low like they were on the real thing.

Ive taken a look at the new overseas electric loco in the link and although I am not familiar with the class the pantograph does have the same "up on stilts" appearance as the one on the Class 86. Bachmann got their pantograph pretty much bob on and its mounted nice and low like they were on the real thing.

Without going too off topic here is some info on the Class EG (six axle Eurosprinter) http://www.railcolor...=1404938&lang=1. Looks as if in this particular case the pantograph on the prototype is indeed 'elevated' above the roof. But that is more likely to be because of the design of the locomotive and the more generous European loading guage.

I dare say a few will have spotted this already but I have to admit it, it does look very nice in blue with that subtle bit of weathering as well. What might have been/may be?

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1436.l2649

His previous one sold for nearly £150. It makes me annoyed that I couldn't afford to snap up a brace or trio of 86's from Hattons when they were going for £49 quid a pop to respray and sell on.

Here is one I have been working on for ages - just very slow progress inbetween non-modelling daily "life" but its getting there. Be under no illusion buying these cheap and respraying them to sell on sounds like an easy way to make some cash but it takes a lot of work on this model to backdate it let alone repainting and weathering.

The dark executive grey on this one will be extended down from the windows to the headcode marker level on the cabsides, the lower white "Swallow" band will be sprayed in executive light grey/stone leaving the red and white stripes in tact. The roof will be painted in rail grey and it is likely to finish up as an named 86/3 or 86/4 with jumper cables circa 1985/86 with white BR double arrow decals and suitably renumbered - right now 86417 "The Kingsman" or 86412 "Elizabeth Garratt Anderson" are high on the list :). The final touch will be a light weathering. The yellow finish is quite matt despite using gloss enamels so this might need a gloss varnish - if anyone can recommend a good one to bring out some shine? I spray at 15psi which shouldnt be high enough to cause the paint to dry before it hits the model.

86_zpsf5bef059.jpg

Kind of the model Heljan should have included in the start before going straight onto the later incarnations.

Does anybody sell the jumper as parts of an 86/87 detailing kit?

I would like to change the pan for a Hornby class 87 high speed type as this loco didnt carry the stone faiveley at the time. It should make a heck of a difference but I need to check whether it only carried it after fitment of the rch cables and 3rd headlight.

Archived