Saint Blazey Class 37's

• RMweb Gold

Hi there,

In my dark distant past living in Plymouth I used to venture down to Cornwall to watch the 37's on the clay trains around Saint Blazey. This was around the mid-to late 90's. Unfortunately, I've lost my photographs I took at the time.

Can any one enlighten me on the liveries of the 37's at the time and when particular engines left with the introduction of the Class 66's.

From what I can remember most of the 37's were still in Transrail livery, but I do remember 37 668 had just been painted in to EW&S red livery. Also some of the Transrail engines carried the red flash behind the cab door at one end.

I'm particularly interested in 37 668/37 671/37672 and 37 674 around this period as well as grey/yellow engineers livered 37's with 'Big T' logos that may have been found around this area.

Any information or photos would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mark

Our staple diet at BZ were 37/5's 37669 to 675, they were supplemented by 37412 & 37520 making 6 or 7 locos the norm. 37675 moved Northwards following a tragic accident on BZ Christmas Eve 1992 or 1993, and was never allocated in the West again. 37412 was adopted and remained for many years. Many other 37s deputised, and I will endeavor to find out which ones stayed for months at a time, and which liveries they carried.

The rot set in during 2000 and the 37's were gradually phased out. I worked in Swindon Control at the time, so didnt have my finger on the pulse so much during this time. My mates were down here do though, and I'll raid their notes soon. 37416 in Inter-city was a welcome addition for a time.

My photo pic has many images of 37's in Cornwall from the early 80s through till the end.

Today we're morooned with 2 66's working out of BZ, 66117 & 119 currently, and the freight scene is a shadow of what it was. 66116 / 148 are on RHTT duties at the moment.

Some time in the early 90s, the silver bullets started running 3 times a week instead of 2, so Blazey needed more 37s. This saw an influx of 37/4s displaced from Scotland either directly or indirectly. 37417/420, both in the Mainline version of Intercity livery arrived together and remained as a pair for some time. 37411/413 also came down and hung around for quite a while, these 2 were in distribution livery when they arrived IIRC.

• RMweb Gold

Some time in the early 90s, the silver bullets started running 3 times a week instead of 2, so Blazey needed more 37s. This saw an influx of 37/4s displaced from Scotland either directly or indirectly. 37417/420, both in the Mainline version of Intercity livery arrived together and remained as a pair for some time. 37411/413 also came down and hung around for quite a while, these 2 were in distribution livery when they arrived IIRC.

Thanks to you both for your replies.

It does sound a bit bleak down at BZ now-2x66's is that it? I guess the down turn has effected Imerys bad. Someone I knew who worked for ECC once said on the takeover by the French firm that Imerys was an anogram for misery!

So I guess 2000 would be the cut off point for my Class 37's I'm planning to respray and with the introduction of the Scotish 37'/4's gives some variety and I think Kernow do two of these. Do you know if 37 671 appeared in Transrail livery? This was one of my favourites along with 37 674. Also it was about this time my interest in railways wained and I never returned to BZ.

I used to live in Newton Abbot up until May and the sight of a 66 on the silver bullets (or should that be grimey bullets!) didn't have the same effect as double headed 37's at full tilt on the same train. I think that's a sound I'll never forget. Don't get me wrong though because I do like the 66's and remember seeing my first one at Par station.

Thanks, Mark

A few shots of Blazey 37s passing through Bristol

As mentioned in a previous post, 37416, still with its Tinsley name

post-7455-12582034160449_thumb.jpg

37417 on the northbound bullets

post-7455-12582034213995_thumb.jpg

37419, another one that spent a while in the west, Tinsley name painted over

post-7455-12582034254157_thumb.jpg

37420 on one of those rare days when the Cliffe Vale was just light engines in one direction

post-7455-12582034297445_thumb.jpg

Refurb 37's in St Blazey Pool- Allocation and Livery

Original

37670 - From Crewe Works (FR,FD,FT,E)

37671 - From Crewe Works (FR,FM*,FD,FT)

37672 - From Crewe Works (FR,FD**,FT)

37673 - From Crewe Works (FD,FT)

37674 - From Crewe Works (FR,FD,FT)

37675 - From Crewe Works (FR,FD,FT)

* - Applied in error

** - Red square missing

Transfers in - not all in pool at the same time

37411 - From TI (FA,FD,FT)

37412 - From ED (BR***,FD,FT)

37413 - From ED (FD,FT)

37414 - From IS**** (FD)

37416 - From TI (M)

37417 - From TE (M)

37420 - From TE (M)

37521 - From CF (FP,E)

37668 - From CF (FP,E)

37669 - From ED (FR,FD,FT)

37695 - From CF (FT)*****

*** - BR for weeks only - then back to works for repaint

**** - Short stay - swapped to TI Buxton Pool (for 411) due to bogies

***** - Swap for 675 post accident

Other notes

37229 - From CF (FC) joined refurb pool in the latter years of dedicated pool

Other 37's appeared inc TI 37/4 (i.e 419 in photo) in shortages

Post end of pool all manner of 37's arrived pre 66's. In Dutch Transrails 37043 appeared a few times.

• RMweb Gold

Refurb 37's in St Blazey Pool- Allocation and Livery

Original

37670 - From Crewe Works (FR,FD,FT,E)

37671 - From Crewe Works (FR,FM*,FD,FT)

37672 - From Crewe Works (FR,FD**,FT)

37673 - From Crewe Works (FD,FT)

37674 - From Crewe Works (FR,FD,FT)

37675 - From Crewe Works (FR,FD,FT)

* - Applied in error

** - Red square missing

Transfers in - not all in pool at the same time

37411 - From TI (FA,FD,FT)

37412 - From ED (BR***,FD,FT)

37413 - From ED (FD,FT)

37414 - From IS**** (FD)

37416 - From TI (M)

37417 - From TE (M)

37420 - From TE (M)

37521 - From CF (FP,E)

37668 - From CF (FP,E)

37669 - From ED (FR,FD,FT)

37695 - From CF (FT)*****

*** - BR for weeks only - then back to works for repaint

**** - Short stay - swapped to TI Buxton Pool (for 411) due to bogies

***** - Swap for 675 post accident

Other notes

37229 - From CF (FC) joined refurb pool in the latter years of dedicated pool

Other 37's appeared inc TI 37/4 (i.e 419 in photo) in shortages

Post end of pool all manner of 37's arrived pre 66's. In Dutch Transrails 37043 appeared a few times.

Hi there,

Thanks to you both once again.

The photos are excellent. though I never saw any of these locos if my mind serves me correctly except 37 416. It is interesting though, because you realise that either there was a major reliability problem, or the level of traffic required these additional locos.

As for the the loco list with all the detail, thankyou-it's a great help and will certainly be utilised. I can remember one of the Scotish 37/4's running light through Lostwithiel in Rfd markings.

Thanks once again.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to hijack the thread slightly but:

Does anyone have (or know of) pictures of 37 673 when first delivered? It was the first to carry Railfreight Distribution livery and arrived July 1987. Martyn Read posted this timeline on the old site http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44030&start=17 which shows it was in service during the time of the changeover from clay hoods to CDA hoppers. The only image I've seen is "head on" which shows it didn't have the black numbers painted on the front at that time. I'd like to know if it did have the St Blazey plates then, as it could be the basis of a 'cunning plan' involving removing the ETH cable from Bachmann's new model of 37 406 in RfD livery wink.gif

Thanks in advance

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to hijack the thread slightly but:

Does anyone have (or know of) pictures of 37 673 when first delivered? It was the first to carry Railfreight Distribution livery and arrived July 1987. Martyn Read posted this timeline on the old site http://www.rmweb.co....=44030&start=17 which shows it was in service during the time of the changeover from clay hoods to CDA hoppers. The only image I've seen is "head on" which shows it didn't have the black numbers painted on the front at that time. I'd like to know if it did have the St Blazey plates then, as it could be the basis of a 'cunning plan' involving removing the ETH cable from Bachmann's new model of 37 406 in RfD livery wink.gif

Thanks in advance

There are a bunch of them on Fotopic, including one showing it in 1987 working on clay hoods. Unfortunatly I dont have any links (but have saved a bunch of them onto my PC). I modelled it using the last tripple grey machine they released with new logos (its worth remembering that this loco had an extra large RF logo so its not a straight renumber from the Bachmann RFD 37406.

• RMweb Gold

Rich - thanks for that. I had tried Google and Fotopic searches on the number without any luck - I'll try wider searches.

Re: the bigger RfD logo, thanks again, may need a re-think - unfortunately....

RobD2- is that the Railfreight Today books?

• RMweb Gold

Rich - thanks for that. I had tried Google and Fotopic searches on the number without any luck - I'll try wider searches.

Re: the bigger RfD logo, thanks again, may need a re-think - unfortunately....

RobD2- is that the Railfreight Today books?

http://mikeh-railways.fotopic.net/p22031362.html

shows it working on clay hoods. theres a fair few others on there from early 88 as well though my quick search didnt show up anything from 87. Possibly fotopic is playing up for you? seems to do so quite often...

• RMweb Gold

Rich - thanks again, that's just what I needed smile.gif I realise I've been typing the number with a space (37 673) so that's probably why i didn't find this.

I see what you mean about the logo tho' - it extends down onto the tumblehome. I might find another triple grey 37 & some transfers....

• RMweb Gold

Some nice photos here-thanks. Certainly brings back some memmories. Can almost imagine being on Lostwithiel Station, sun out, sound of the bells in the signal box, lizards on the platform and the thrash of the 37's. Pint of Hicks would be good too-but you'd have to go to Golant I guess for this.smile.gif

Be good to see more pictures of members Cornish 37's on here.

...and the thrash of the 37's. Pint of Hicks would be good too-but you'd have to go to Golant I guess for this.smile.gif

Ohhh - happy days indeed! We used to stop at Golant watching 37's, 50's and even 08's trundling down in the early mornings. Nothing nicer than all that and a pint of Mr Hicks strong ale. Fabulous!

• RMweb Gold

"yellowvanman" thanks for those. It looks like '673 got "proper" size RfD logos & the nose-end numbers around 1990. For my proposed "chnageover form hoods to CDAs" period, it needs larger logos & no nose-end numbers as per Rich "fatadders" model.

Thnaks to everyone who's responded hereicon_thumbsup2.gif

Archived