2mm/N Gauge Embossed Bricks

[Grovelling disclaimer: First of all, apologies if this has been asked before (I'd be very surprised if it hasn't...), but searches on Google and the RMweb forums have not been forthcoming in solutions :( ]

I'm looking for a source of embossed plastic sheet brick in 'Flemish Bond' (the middle pattern in the diagram below), that is suitable for 2mm / 'N gauge' buildings?

bonds.gif

I've got some of the Slaters N Embossed Plasticard 2mm Red Brick, but this is 'English Bond', and I'm aware that Ratio make a form of plastic brick sheet, but I've no sight of what 'bond' this is. I'm also pretty sure that I've found a site on the web that advertised their 'own' embossed brick sheet suitable for N gauge - but this was some while ago, and stupidly I forgot to bookmark it :blink: .

Can anyone provide any information on the Ratio brick sheet, or does anyone know of any suppliers/sources of a suitable alternative?

Grateful in anticipation of the (hopefully) forthcoming pearls of wisdom :D

• RMweb Gold

[Grovelling disclaimer: First of all, apologies if this has been asked before (I'd be very surprised if it hasn't...), but searches on Google and the RMweb forums have not been forthcoming in solutions :( ]

I'm looking for a source of embossed plastic sheet brick in 'Flemish Bond' (the middle pattern in the diagram below), that is suitable for 2mm / 'N gauge' buildings?

bonds.gif

I've got some of the Slaters N Embossed Plasticard 2mm Red Brick, but this is 'English Bond', and I'm aware that Ratio make a form of plastic brick sheet, but I've no sight of what 'bond' this is. I'm also pretty sure that I've found a site on the web that advertised their 'own' embossed brick sheet suitable for N gauge - but this was some while ago, and stupidly I forgot to bookmark it :blink: .

Can anyone provide any information on the Ratio brick sheet, or does anyone know of any suppliers/sources of a suitable alternative?

Grateful in anticipation of the (hopefully) forthcoming pearls of wisdom :D

Hi Steve,

There used to be plastic brick sheet in both Flemish and Stretcher bond available from Thornton Plastics.

Don't know who -if anyone - has the range now.

I think Ratio are Flemish Bond - can't find a sheet to check though.

Walthers have some JV sheets that are Stretcher Bond

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/345-8201

and from Plastrut some that are English Bond

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/570-91608

I thought there was someone doing etched brick in 2mm? I'm sure I saw something about this in the past.

Hope this helps!

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Steve didn't Missy get some laser cut stuff for Highclere can't rmember what bond though.

Don

Just had a look back at Missy's Blog at the goods shed- blowed if I can tell what the bond is from the photos. Looks good though.

Steve didn't Missy get some laser cut stuff for Highclere can't rmember what bond though.

Don

Just had a look back at Missy's Blog at the goods shed- blowed if I can tell what the bond is from the photos. Looks good though.

Hi :)

Unfortunately it was English Bond. I cannot see any reason why it cannot be reproduced with a different bond though, you would just ned to persuade our friendly laser cutter to get it done!

Missy :)

...Muswell models do plastic bricking in various bonds including English and Flemish.

See - http://members.multi.../2mmplastic.htm

Ben

Thanks a lot for the pointer to Muswell's - this was the site I remembered 'finding' several years ago when I was originally looking for something else... It is now well & truly bookmarked! :D

Don

Don

Yes, Missy's brickwork was laser-etched by another member of the 2mm Oxford group, but that approach is not fully available at the moment (access to his works tools are limited) :(

Kris, Phil, & Dave

Thanks for the info. I was aware of the Ratio materials being in quite small sheets, and I suspected at the time that they were quite 'thick' - hence being a pig to cut (but that would be appropriate for Smokey Bacon...). I'd forgotten about Plastruct (and not heard of JV Models) but they do look quite good - better than the Slaters at a first glance, so I'll keep a note of them too.

Hi :)

Unfortunately it was English Bond. I cannot see any reason why it cannot be reproduced with a different bond though, you would just ned to persuade our friendly laser cutter to get it done!

Missy :)

Thanks - I guessed you'd spot this... I thought Ray was 'busy' and had limited time on the machines...

However, If that route was available, it would probably make sense to draw out the whole building (including lintels, corner stones, etc) and ask nicely to do it as a 'kit'... ...now there's an idea :rolleyes: (I had toyed with this possibility earlier, with a view to using York Models, but had parked it as a) It wouldn't be a scratch built building, and b ), potential cost... but I'd completely forgotten to try a possible in-house source)

Thanks again to you all for the input - back to the drawing board (literally :D)

Thanks - I guessed you'd spot this... I thought Ray was 'busy' and had limited time on the machines...

However, If that route was available, it would probably make sense to draw out the whole building (including lintels, corner stones, etc) and ask nicely to do it as a 'kit'... ...now there's an idea :rolleyes: (I had toyed with this possibility earlier, with a view to using York Models, but had parked it as a) It wouldn't be a scratch built building, and b ), potential cost... but I'd completely forgotten to try a possible in-house source)

Thanks again to you all for the input - back to the drawing board (literally :D)

Dont forget we might potentially have two sources of laser cutting....

While you are drawing things like that there are a few terraced houses on WSI that need the same treatment.

M. ;)

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Having built (and been impressed with) some of the US laser cut wood building kits I would be interested in laser cut UK pattern buildings, if anyone were to begin producing a range.

P&D Marsh have some on their website.

County Rolling Stock are asking for a £5 non-refundable deposit on a GWR coaling stage but there's no indication of a final price yet B)

Regards, Gerry.

I can recommend using a laser cutter to create the entire building having used one myself for this building: http://www.rmweb.co....attach_id=65875

The process of scoring the lines for the bond (Flemish, by the way) quite by chance scorched the brick-coloured card a pale mortar colour!

That's a rather nice signal box there - what scale is it? I'm becoming more taken by this approach the more I look into it, as the way in which the elements other than bricks (corner stones, lintels, etc) can be detailed at the same time; this does give a very nice detailed finish.

That's a rather nice signal box there - what scale is it? I'm becoming more taken by this approach the more I look into it, as the way in which the elements other than bricks (corner stones, lintels, etc) can be detailed at the same time; this does give a very nice detailed finish.

Sorry, 'N'.

County Rolling Stock are asking for a £5 non-refundable deposit on a GWR coaling stage but there's no indication of a final price yet B)

Regards, Gerry.

The Coaling stage will be about £30, unfortunately I can not give any better indication than that at present. The kit is still in the design stage and until the test build is done I do not know all the costs. It will also depend on the exchange rate and tax at the time it arrives. Should be available in April.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Richard,

The Coaling stage will be about £30... ...Should be available in April.

Thanks for posting that, I'm considering two options I want as 'Phase 2' of my layout and although it's really way too early to be acquiring stuff for it ... B)

Regards, Gerry.

Archived