Deep Water Yards

rs4

Hello All

Have made a start on my RHTT courtesy of S Kits and SJR

Sized up the modules on a "crippled" Dapol FEA [i can't face doing the S-Kits FEA - sorry George]

Pictures attached........ quite keen to move on with this.

Should be reasonably close to the real thing.........hopefully !

post-1261-12582137964103_thumb.jpeg

post-1261-12582138272282_thumb.jpeg

Have also greedily added a DMU maintenance facility + card laid out for hard standing area today:

post-1261-12582139668715_thumb.jpeg

post-1261-12582139816052_thumb.jpeg

Next step to mark out card / cut and bury rail then weather up.....

More to follow.....

Regards

Nick

• Like 4

• 7 months later...

Hello All

6 Month update....... little progress !

Never 100% happy with the trackwork in my TMD [small radius points do look rubbish]. So have relaid with large radius etc.

Very greedy addition of 2 more Bachmann sheds to make 4 in total [next challenge is to flatten the ends & stick em together......any tips on glue type appreciated].....

Slowly weathering track [rusting], and some crude wiring to get power to all places.

Have some inspection pits to fit also to the diesel shed & perhaps lighting etc. Then....concreting of the whole area.

The DMU shed [that can be seen in the photos] I'm pretty happy with, so again it's track rusting & concreting / ballast.

Some pics attached.

post-1261-127696605505_thumb.jpg

post-1261-127696610353_thumb.jpg

post-1261-12769661309_thumb.jpg

Stock wise I'm having a retro few months - all "current" stock boxed and I've got out the BR Blue era...... does bring back memories.

I'm not a total purist, but I can't run EWS stuff at the same time.

Comments appreciated - partic if anyone has taken a grinder to a Scenecraft or Skaledale structure / glued them together....

Regards....

Nick

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

Hello People,

A further update.

Substantial ballasting /weathering of ballast etc done.

New viaduct installed.

Starting to look half real with the addition of various lineside clutter.

Hope you enjoy pics.

Regards

Nick

post-1261-12831846043_thumb.jpg

Two line section over viaduct becomes 4

post-1261-128318553948_thumb.jpg

Looking back towards the viaduct

post-1261-128318558273_thumb.jpg

The proposed cement works / short siding to load / unload various stuff

post-1261-128318563117.jpg

More "trackage"....

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies...

Have started work on Tunnel section and thinking on a nice bit of "cliff" close by the proposed cement works:

post-1261-072076400 1284222092_thumb.jpg

"Cliff Richard" in his raw state...

post-1261-001496300 1284222132_thumb.jpg

Tunnel mouth immediately prior to Viaduct

post-1261-067280100 1284222170_thumb.jpg

Looking back across the viaduct towards tunnel mouth

post-1261-033081900 1284222209_thumb.jpg

Viaductus grandis once more

post-1261-069645500 1284222240_thumb.jpg

A longer shot again.

I've run trains through - clearance looks OK.

Next steps.... paint interior [probably won't line with bricks as it is curved]... then its time to attack that "hill" and make it slightly more realistic....

"Cliff" will then be positioned and trimmed. May need to make further "Cliff" to fill the space.

I plan to have a road tunnel linking the cement works running alongside the railway....

Anyway, it's Saturday night...time for a beer.

Hic.

Regards

Nick

• Like 2

Hello Arpleymodeller

I think back on the old RMWeb there was a shot of the entire layout - maybe I should add one in ?

Or.....have a website like yours with some more detail [nice]

Location wise [being greedy] I was looking for a place that could have divertionary potential - I want to drag some electrics etc. So, it could be the upper part of the ECML or WCML. It may also be bordering on or into Scotland, poss between Glasgow & Edinburgh as I have a 47/7+Mk3s+DBSO and a few bits of Scotrail stock.

The layout is really in 1 parts with the scenic "rural" section 4 lines reducing to 2 over the viaduct.

The second area is the TMD / DMU depot & yards. That currently looks a bit cluttered [the yard area] - but I'm sort of stuck with it now as a sort of fiddle yard.

I guess if I had a second attempt at this I might have a totally separate fiddle yard - but bigger with a load more stock sat in there [why have it all in boxes ?]

May get some time on it today.....major mess up yesterday - a load of steel wool particles collected by 3 engines.... magnet deployed to remove but still some issues....

Regards

Nick

• Like 1

Hello

Arpleymodeller - a couple of years ago I was on the scout for a large office for business.

This small unit within our business centre came up... the funny thing is, when I saw the "mezz" level I didn't immediate think "railway"

It's superb - but it has given me sleepless nights when we come to move out - it's actually slowed my progress at times as I am sure you can imagine.

Oldfield Park - I will look up New Mills... Think I've come across it either here (in mags ?) or seen it ?

Brush47337 - I have tried to edit the title, but couldntn see how to....the mainline run is cool, it still isn't long enough though !!

Agentskj - yep, ECoS controller. Great but can be temperamental with some DCC chips ...

I will keep you posted - progress tends to be slow as I only get a couple of hours a week on it.

Regards

Nick

Hello All

To give you an idea on actual size & origins, two pictures for you:

post-1261-021840500 1284356339_thumb.jpg

post-1261-014241800 1284356380_thumb.jpg

Construction, which I need to be ashamed of, but it was quick.....Ikea tables topped with 8mm board as I remember.

Wiring..... doing it on the fly..... yep, it'll bite me.

Don't intend to have motorised points [some would say luckily..]

Control via an ECoS

Better stop....daughter needs breakfast.

Regards

Nick

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Hello again RMWebbers

Cor, it's slow progress at my end !

1. Have worked on electrics, gaining power at all points.

2. Finally tackled hard stand area around depot [photos attached].

Have I learnt anything ? Yes....many things

a. wiring not labelled etc which I am sure will bite me in the future.

b. hard stand... wish I'd added some black paint to the white filler hence obtaining a grey base to work from. Consequence ? any sanding incident results in a white patch...

Hopefully when I've airbrushed / weathered it will have a suitably grimey appearance and it will resolve the issue.

Sheds need glueing together and will consider a maroon floor paint / walkways too.

Yard lights etc to follow [can't wait !]

Time is a major issue and any spare time I have.... well it's nice to actually "play trains" - brilliant being able to shunt around the depot while having stuff loop the loop. iPhone / ECoS / Touchcab highly recommended.

More updates to follow......yeah right !

Regards

Nick

post-1261-0-33519400-1319992722.jpg

post-1261-0-79871200-1319992965.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Thanks.. Especially to Bob for "resurrecting me" - sounds like an episode of Battlestar Galactica (rip, best scifi ever ?)

Anyway... Some 1.5 years later what progress can I report ?

Pretty much none ! I've been too busy weathering stock ...

We did rip up the "fiddle yard" and relay and start to wire up. That is pretty much complete.

If I had my time again I wouldn't have done the fiddle yard "on set" but rather behind the scenes as normal.

Have to put some more time into it as we have some visitors coming to see it (a charity thing we've done for the past 2 years). So it needs some wiring, a good tidy up, and if we get chance a load of scenic work !!

Latest photo I can find is of the "reworked" fiddle yard:

post-1261-0-02615000-1364144752.jpg

post-1261-0-64516400-1364144770.jpg

post-1261-0-85736400-1364144780.jpg

post-1261-0-01491900-1364144803.jpg

Electric feed to most lines now and it runs better as far as stock coming in and going out again.

Shunting possibilities are pretty endless in the yard and depot, manual point operation so it does need two operators.

Now - can someone point me in the direction of an enterprising company selling "time" - I could do with a shed load !

• Like 4

HI Nick,
Very impressive sized layout, and looks like lots of operating potential.
Interesting about saying you wouldn't have an on scene fiddle yard again. I was considering doing it myself, but I guess mine wont be on the same scale as yours. So not as much ballasting and scenic work.

Still enjoying your bulk weathering thread too..

Cheers

Scott

Edited by pitbull1845
  • Like 1