Airfix/Dapol j94 kit

you will all be pleased to know that i got the test etches yesterday and they have gone together really well and nothings missing, unlike one other test etch for something else!

Once i have fully finished it tomorrow night, i will post photos.

I won't know the retail price till i order the production batch, i would say it will be no more than £20 but we will have to see what the final price will be.

This is a very detailed chassis akin to High Level kits although the inside valve gear itsn't quite as detailed as theirs but is easy to build as i intend all my kits and parts to be.

snipped

Robert,

Is it safe to assume that this chassis will be good for all three gauges, 00, EM & P4?

Cheers,

David

• RMweb Gold

Yes it has seperate spacers for 00/EM/P4

Well the chassis is finished except for one area and it was the last part, the rear brake gear pull rods which is 1.5mm short of its target!

This will mean another test etch just to extend this unless people are not bothered? The prototypes brake gear pull rods is round section, not rectangle as dipicted on the kit.

Sadly dispite taking the photos, Fotopic is still not working so i can't upload them which i use (or used if this continues) them to host some of the photos as its easier and quicker than doing it all on a website like i do with the product images. :unsure:

Yes it has seperate spacers for 00/EM/P4

Well the chassis is finished except for one area and it was the last part, the rear brake gear pull rods which is 1.5mm short of its target!

This will mean another test etch just to extend this unless people are not bothered? The prototypes brake gear pull rods is round section, not rectangle as dipicted on the kit.

Sadly despite taking the photos, Fotopic is still not working so i can't upload them which i use (or used if this continues) them to host some of the photos as its easier and quicker than doing it all on a website like i do with the product images. :unsure:

You could always, in the interim, post them here as an attachment (subject to Andy Y's approval I suppose, since its 'trade'). If you are going to supply pull-rods, then they should really be the correct length: the end user is far less likely to be bothered about them being the correct section than the correct size.

Adam

This will mean another test etch just to extend this unless people are not bothered?

I think people will be!

Have you considered producing frames for the 50550 too? They could easily be included as a pair of alternative frames (subject to room on the etchings of course!) and allow the user to select which frames they require or supply full depth frames, maybe, but with half etched guides on the inside to show what to remove for the austerity version.

Just a thought.

Make them the right length Robert, more work I know but it would be a shame to cut corners at this stage.

As James said, frames for the 50550 version would be nice as well but as a seperate kit along with deeper bufferbeams as well?

• RMweb Gold

Hi all, thankyou for your comments, i'll get to work on modifying the drawing so the pull rods are the correct length.

As to doing a chassis for a 50550, i can do at a later date along with the bufferbeams, does anyone know if ones preserved or of any suitable drawings?

As to doing a chassis for a 50550, i can do at a later date along with the bufferbeams, does anyone know if ones preserved or of any suitable drawings?

Modelling Railways Illustrated vol.1 no.2 (Nov. - Dec. '93) has a pretty comprehensive article on Austerities including a drawing of the cab and rear frames of a 50550 which shows some of the detail differences. Not as good as a full drawing though. (Full drawings are included of Austerities).

Hi all, thankyou for your comments, I'll get to work on modifying the drawing so the pull rods are the correct length.

As to doing a chassis for a 50550, I can do at a later date along with the bufferbeams, does anyone know if ones preserved or of any suitable drawings?

Well, there is at least one (I have a notion that there's another somewhere), former Port of London Authority and NCB Ackton Hall Colliery 'S112', HE 2414 of 1942, which is preserved at Embsay:

http://respite3696.tripod.com/Hunslet2414/id17.html

http://www.embsayboltonabbeyrailway.org.uk/s112.html

Aside from the frame profile, the main differences, so far as the chassis is concerned, are the wheel size and the type of rods - they have brasses with cotter pins.

Adam

• RMweb Gold

yes you are right, i forgot about it. The only thing missing is a drawing of the 50550's chimney which is slightly different to the standard austerity version.

Heres some photos i've put as attachments of the chassis minus sandboxes.

post-8628-0-84647700-1300224109_thumb.jpg

post-8628-0-84110100-1300224127_thumb.jpg

post-8628-0-24276600-1300224136_thumb.jpg

Now that looks really rather encouraging, lots of detail. One quick query however: are the frames sized to retain the existing (massively over-scale thickness) buffer beams? Since it's much easier to take metal off that too add it, would it be possible to make the frames the correct length with, say, a half etched line on the back to allow them to be shortened by the necessary mm or so for those that want to make that compromise? (on my earlier austerity models, I removed the plastic buffer beams altogether and made replacement metal ones as part of the chassis.

Making the frames longer is relatively straightforward, but a little bit of a faff.

Adam

• RMweb Gold

Hi Adam, a very good question.

The chassis is to scale length which the insides ends are fully half etched up to the point where they would fit within the Dapol/Hornby RTR body which i simply cut them off with a pair of scissors and clean up with a file. The slots for the bufferbeam brackets allow the brackets to be positioned accordingly. I had already thought of this as there are quite a few makers bodies to choose from B)

Now that looks really rather encouraging, lots of detail. One quick query however: are the frames sized to retain the existing (massively over-scale thickness) buffer beams? Since it's much easier to take metal off that too add it, would it be possible to make the frames the correct length with, say, a half etched line on the back to allow them to be shortened by the necessary mm or so for those that want to make that compromise? (on my earlier austerity models, I removed the plastic buffer beams altogether and made replacement metal ones as part of the chassis.

Making the frames longer is relatively straightforward, but a little bit of a faff.

Adam

The chassis looks rather nice!

Is there room on the etch to include new foot steps? They'd make a huge difference to the finished model as the moulded steps are rather flat and chunky...

Robert,

Looks very nice.

One question, is there an arm on the cross beam with the counterbalance weight to connect the reversing lever rod?

If you have the inclanation, time and space for a couple of extras then an etch for the regulator would be appreciated, and possible the reversing lever, and rod.

If not still put be down for a couple to start with.

Gordon A

Bristol

Hi Adam, a very good question.

The chassis is to scale length which the insides ends are fully half etched up to the point where they would fit within the Dapol/Hornby RTR body which i simply cut them off with a pair of scissors and clean up with a file. The slots for the bufferbeam brackets allow the brackets to be positioned accordingly. I had already thought of this as there are quite a few makers bodies to choose from B)

Cap duly doffed. :)

Right, who's volunteering to make the inside motion work? B)

Since I bruised the back of my head on the saddletank when I attempted to even glimpse the motion on the real thing, I'll pass...

Adam

• RMweb Gold

No there isnt a arm for the connecting rod for the counter balance, to be honest it is very hard to see it.

all those detailing extras i will do as a seperate etch at some point rather than as part of the chassis plus this gives people the chance to modify existing models should they not want/need a chassis.

As for the inside valve gear, i was lucky when i did the measurements and photos as the saddletank was not on the loco, not that i'm not used to getting into difficult situations!

Not wishing to be tiresome but, will there be any provision to allow for springing or compensation on the etch? For example, a half etch around the axles so hornblocks can be fitted.

Cheers,

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi david, yes there is half etched lines to aid in cutting out for hornblocks as i sometimes use them myself.

Not wishing to be tiresome but, will there be any provision to allow for springing or compensation on the etch? For example, a half etch around the axles so hornblocks can be fitted.

Cheers,

David

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The Lambton cab etch was produced by Wychbury Loco Works (which I think is part of Mercian now....)

Kingdom kits did the Lambton cab from what i remember as well.

Just a quick update on the chassis, well there isn't one as i'm still waiting for the test etch to come back dispite having 2 other production batches for other kits!

As i've now just bought a car (for the price of 4 new Hornby austerity tanks!) after the head gasket went on the old one over a month ago and seized the engine i've now got spare time on my hands to work on the range of kits again.

Regards Robert

RT Models

I wasn't aware the Austerity kit had lasted into Dapol ownership - it's certainly not listed on their website, nor can I remember seeing one for sale in Dapol packaging. I've been looking for one for a while (or a secondhand Hornby one) as I'd like a model of 'Cumbria', having had a footplate ride when she visited the Cholsey and Wallingford Railway.

Richard

I wasn't aware the Austerity kit had lasted into Dapol ownership - it's certainly not listed on their website, nor can I remember seeing one for sale in Dapol packaging....

It did. Dapol gave it the reference C35 and packed it in its usual plastic bag with a header card, but it was otherwise unchanged from Kitmaster / Airfix days. I bought one and used it. It cost about a fiver in 1992.

The kit was withdrawn when the moulds were destroyed after the factory fire in the 1990s.

Archived