Airfix/Dapol j94 kit

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

a quick update that i got the final test etch for the chassis and its ok to go ahead with the production of it.

A Question though, i know its a standard thing in kits, but do people want top hat bearings included with the chassis kit as i know some people use hornblocks etc? Just wondering.

Must crack on with the instructions.

Regards Robert

My link

A Question though, i know its a standard thing in kits, but do people want top hat bearings included with the chassis kit as i know some people use hornblocks etc? Just wondering.

Where would you use top hat bearings on a kit with no pin point axles? edit: It becomes clear below :)

Hornblocks/hornguides are the things an axlebox slides up and down in by the way. Modellers seem to have mucked up the terminology here over the years by calling the axlebox a hornblock.. Unless other regions did it differently but the Swindon works drawings call the guides hornblocks.

Where would you use top hat bearings on a kit with no pin point axles?

On rigid axles - a top hat bearing is a merely a bearing with a flange at one end, resembling the shape of a top hat. Those used with pin point bearings are just a special case of top hat bearings.

On rigid axles - a top hat bearing is a merely a bearing with a flange at one end, resembling the shape of a top hat. Those used with pin point bearings are just a special case of top hat bearings.

Ah, I didn't think about those things for rigid chassis (mind you who would buy a top hat with a hole in the top :P ). Yes they are normally included with chassis and they can be useful to align the frames with a jig before the frames are cut.

Just to muddy the waters a bit more re top hat bearings, I am about to release some springing units that use tophat bearings instead of the square bearings.

I must draw the diagrams for the instructions this weekend - Expo EM allowing.

Gordon.

• 4 weeks later...

I've recently started springing my models - after years of compensating - so all I really need is cutouts for the springing units to fit into; if the locations for these are half-etched it makes it very easy to fret them out, or to leave them in for those who prefer to build a rigid chassis.

Glad it's coming on!

• RMweb Gold

I'm still waiting for the production etches to arrive, got the bearings and sandboxes though.

Regards Robert

RT Models

Hows progress on the chassis? been watching this thread with interest as I need a few more austeriyties!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

it was available but didn't expect it to sell out in a hour!

Another batch was ordered earlier in the week so these will come soon.

That's what you get for making something that's popular, Robert!

Reading this thread reminds me I do have one of the Dapol kits somewhere in my stock of unbuilt locos, so I'll be ordering one at some point in the future.

Which wheels /gearbox /motor do you suggest /recommend for your kit? (Mine will be in 00)

Cheers

Paul

Reading the instructions (in front of me), info' as follows:

Wheels, Gibson G4851N or Markits BRwdJ94 (17mm)

From my experience of having built 2 myself: Gearbox/motor, High Level slimliner compact+ (available in 30, 40 and 54:1) with either a Mashima 1220 or 1020 vertically in the firebox with a boiler full of lead should produce enough power for anyone.

Adam

Dan,

If by side rods you meen coupling rods, they are included in the kit.

If you are going to use a Highlevel gearbox then they can supply you with a motor as well, as can most gearbox suppliers.

Adam has mentioned Gibson and Markits.

I have taken the liberty of attaching a scan of the etched components in Roberts kit.

post-7071-0-00815000-1308423030_thumb.jpg

Four cast sand boxes and 1/8 inch bearings along with a couple of lengths of brass wire, with instructions are also included.

Gordon A

Bristol

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone sell a casting for a headlight to fit to an industrial loco in 4mm?

I know Robert - RTModels does a 3mm (9 inch) headlight in his narrow gauge range, which seems a tad small for an Austerity tank.

Gordon A

Bristol

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gordon,

its on my list on things to do, All i need is the measurements so i can turn it up then it would be on sale within a few days.

Regards Robert

Does anyone sell a casting for a headlight to fit to an industrial loco in 4mm?

I know Robert - RTModels does a 3mm (9 inch) headlight in his narrow gauge range, which seems a tad small for an Austerity tank.

Gordon A

Bristol

• 1 year later...

Hello there,

Does anyone have any idea about who to go to to get the wheels from for this chassis? I can't find them anywhere. Part numebrs would be really appreciated, as I'm a bit of an idiot :)

And does anyone have a favoured gearbox/motor combo from High Level? they seem to be the people to get them from. I'm looking for slow, smooth running with a fair bit of power too

Thanks everyone

The correct pattern wheel is now also available (after quite a long wait) from Markits/Romford. It's waiting for the wheels that has delayed the production of our chassis kit, but it is now in stock (but not yet advertised)

Geoff Brewin

Comet Models

Archived