Scart Sockets

tomparryharry

• RMweb Gold

Oldddudders, you have the perfect opportunity to complain to the designer as the were invented in France! :(

(Syndicat des Constructeurs d'Appareils Radiorécepteurs et Téléviseurs)

Huh! All I'd get would be a Gallic shrug. Having invented revolution in 1789, the French have changed not a lot since. A media controlled by the Government and a perpetual employment problem means people just shrug and get on with it. Change and France do not mix any better than SCART plugs and sockets!

• 2 weeks later...

I would recommend any plug \ socket that has removable pins \ sockets as this makes soldering & de-soldering easier, there are a range of widely available insertion \ extraction tools which fit in to release the pin locking mechanism internal to the body permitting easy withdrawal of the pin.

My preference would be for the D type connectors though

Someone mentioned Plessey earlier - I remember them from my trade training days at Halton, now there's a shudder just gone down my spine :(

Guest stuartp

Having abandoned D-connectors for the latest re-wire because they were a complete 'mare to solder up and fault find, I must thank Suzie for pointing out that which was so bleedin' obvious I completely missed it. :D

Readers of a certain age will no doubt remember numerous references in the model press to ex-RAF 100-way connectors from bomb-aiming panels, which were all the rage at one time.

Many moons ago (about 30years ago in fact!) when I was a member of Stourbridge MRS. We used either "Cannon" or "Jones" type plugs/sockets which were freely available from a local army surplus shop. I would still use them today if I could find any.

Unfortunately they are as scarce as rocking horse ****! so the next best alternative is the D connector.

Most popular size is 25way but I have used 50way types before now.

Not that difficult to solder up if you use good quality ones (gold plated) that solder dead easy. It is prudent to use some neoprene rubber sleeving over the soldered joints to prevent shorts.

I have never had one fail yet, and if you use the "jack screws" they don't drop out of the sockets either.

Guest stuartp

Not that difficult to solder up if you use good quality ones (gold plated) that solder dead easy. It is prudent to use some neoprene rubber sleeving over the soldered joints to prevent shorts.

I have never had one fail yet, and if you use the "jack screws" they don't drop out of the sockets either.

I should perhaps make clear that the soldering difficulties were down to tedium rather than anything else, and most of the fault finding I had to do was down to muppetry on my part. (How many crossed wires ? !) Pre-wired multicoloured cables would prevent that, and I'm sure there are a couple in the loft somewhere.

Archived