Scart Sockets

tomparryharry

• RMweb Gold

Hello Folks,

I'm designing a fiddle yard, for a transportable layout. Can I use SCART sockets, to simply plug the boards together? It might be a silly question, but I really don't know the answer..... DC at the mo', but might upgrade...

Regards,

Ian

SCART connectors are a bit flimsy for layout use and tend to not make very good contact because they are easily dislodged at one end or the other. They are very cheap of course and that is reflected in their performance.

It would be much better to use a 25-way D connector instead. You can often get a 2 metre 25-way D plug to socket extension cable for a few pounds and just cut it in half to get the plug and socket nicely pre wired with coloured wires to save you hours of soldering.

• RMweb Premium

SCART connectors are a bit flimsy for layout use and tend to not make very good contact because they are easily dislodged at one end or the other. They are very cheap of course and that is reflected in their performance.

It would be much better to use a 25-way D connector instead. You can often get a 2 metre 25-way D plug to socket extension cable for a few pounds and just cut it in half to get the plug and socket nicely pre wired with coloured wires to save you hours of soldering.

Agree 100%, latching SCARTs are relatively rare; pre-wired SCART cables are meant for AV use, they will not be wired pin1 - pin1 etc. and will user very thin wire.

and will use very thin wire.

The same fault as the 25way DIN or most computer type connection.

DIN plugs are also quite a challenge to wire up if you are not really adept with a soldering iron.

But I'd agree that SCARTs are near to useless for their reliability, they tend to be dragged out of their sockets simply by the weight of the wire.

A good connector easy to connect and disconnect but positive in remaining connected, easy to wire with multiple pins and readily available - remains the holy grail and likewise hasn't been invented yet.

• RMweb Premium

A good connector easy to connect and disconnect but positive in remaining connected, easy to wire with multiple pins and readily available - remains the holy grail and likewise hasn't been invented yet.

I think the good old 'D' is as near as we'll get, although they're not that easy to wire.

• RMweb Gold

Not so, there are plenty, trouble is that the one criteria that you missed out is cheap, they aint! Look at Harting connectors, available in configurations up to in excess of 100 pins, easy put together, easily mated and unmated, locking in when connected, but they will cost you as much as a good loco for a pair. for lesser numbers of pins look at Speakon by Neutrik, available from maplins in two, four and eight pin variants. Again easy to wire, screw terminals in the plugs, incredibly simple to connect and disconnect and locked in once connected, but at a price to match.

Andi

• RMweb Premium

For what it is worth I use SCART plugs and sockets for connecting between the control panel and baseboards on Cramdin Yard and have not had any problem. Yes you can knock or dislodge them but that just means you've put the connection in the wrong place and you would be knocking into any other kind of plug. They won't support a cable if you orient them so the insertion direction is vertically upwards but otherwise they are fine. You can get 'em for as little as £1 from ebay. I wired my own cables using multiple 4 core telephone cable.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Yes you can knock or dislodge them but that just means you've put the connection in the wrong place and you would be knocking into any other kind of plug.

Cheers

Dave

Not so. Many plugs have means of locking which prevents them being dislodged which you can do with a scart just by brushing the cable. Positive they are not.

D-connectors are also neater and shallower than scarts, EDIT unless you use the scart intended for ribbon type cable.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Personally I would steer clear of using "domestic" type plug/cable systems such as SCARTs. As others have said, positive locating plug / socket systems exist but come at a price. I'm in the process of planning a layout and from what I have seen at exhibitions, electrical systems would appear to be a particular weak spot. With this in mind I have decided upon the use of Souriau "Metalok Bantam" components:

This system uses a crimped connection rather than a soldered one making it very quick to put together and also easy to correct if you get it wrong! I appreciate that the cost may be prohibative for some but I've put the details up in case anyone is contemplating a similar exercise to the OP - the following link may also be of use.

I did consider using Plessey type plugs (being ex miltary I was very familiar with these!) but the cost difference wasn't far short of the above plus they are a soldered connection type (also whereas the above are quarter turn bayonet release, plessey types have to be unscrewed an awful long way)

The choice of system depends to a certain extent on your level of soldering skills.

I worked in electronics and soldering plugs an sockets (an everyday task) does not cause me a problem but there are many RMWebbers, I'm certain, who would find it a daunting task.

I can understand people steering away from sockets, such as D type, with their close spacing, although I believe even these are available in versions for crimping.

EDIT: PS these are not bad : http://www.maplin.co.uk/locking-multi-pole-chassisplugs-43120

Keith

I can understand people steering away from sockets, such as D type, with their close spacing, although I believe even these are available in versions for crimping.

Problem with any crimp connector system is the need to have the correct tool for the contact type in use. The shortcut of using pliers or similar to make a crimp is simply asking for trouble later on.

D Type Insulation Displacement Connectors (IDC) are not really a suitable answer either, because their rating is limited by the conductor size of the ribbon cable, which is usually only 28AWG.

Unfortunately for those who find soldering difficult, solder bucket D Types with backshells and jackscrews probably remain the best compromise on price, availability and reliability. As with many such things, the right tool and a bit of practice makes all the difference.

I use these

http://www.rapidonli...3560/kw/20-0760

Very solid with screw terminals on the plug which is right angled.This means it doesn't stick out so cant be knocked easily. Connection to the socket can be made with spade connectors so no soldering required. I use one of them on a lift up section across a door.You can just see the socket part under the lift up handle in the photo.

EntranceLiftUp4.jpg

• RMweb Premium

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp?N=8999+500006+1010996+5255579+223488&No=0&getResults=true&appliedparametrics=true&locale=en_UK&catalogId=&prevNValues=8999+500006+1010996&filtersHidden=false&appliedHidden=false&originalQueryURL=%2Fjsp%2Fsearch%2Fbrowse.jsp%3FN%3D8999%2B500006%2B1010996%26No%3D0%26getResults%3Dtrue%26appliedparametrics%3Dtrue%26locale%3Den_UK%26catalogId%3D%26prevNValues%3D8999%2B500006%2B1010996

I did consider using Plessey type plugs (being ex miltary I was very familiar with these!) but the cost difference wasn't far short of the above plus they are a soldered connection type (also whereas the above are quarter turn bayonet release, plessey types have to be unscrewed an awful long way)

Not as expensive as I was expecting, I used to use those a fair amount at work and they are fairly easy to assemble; although from a personal point of view I've got enough 'D' types lurking in the shed to last a lifetime so I'm unlikely to change.

Hello Folks,

I'm designing a fiddle yard, for a transportable layout. Can I use SCART sockets, to simply plug the boards together? It might be a silly question, but I really don't know the answer..... DC at the mo', but might upgrade...

Regards,

Ian

Horrible nasty things. SCART stands for Scart Connectors Are Really Tinny

Not to be recommended at any price, especially not for power connections.

Andrew Crosland

Here is an example of a low cost D solution from maplin:-

L70BT

It is 3 metres long, so you can cut it in half and strip all but the last 30cm or so of covering back, to give you 25 nice long lengths of coloured wire to connect to the baseboard. Matching colours both sides for easy fault finding.

If you have high current requirements you can use several in parallel, but just for DC track connections it will be fine.

Less than a tenner and no need to solder any wires to the plug.

I would agree about the unsuitability of SCART connectors. On my layout I've used D type for all the interboard connectors but I was looking for something chunkier for the power connections. I've previously used the military type bayonet plug and sockets but they are very expensive - typically around £50. However I found these on eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270491758509 I was apprehensive about purchasing from Hong Kong and what they would be like but they are very good, delivery was swift and an amazing price.

Julian

• RMweb Premium

I would not recommend SCART for any purpose on earth.

Oldddudders, you have the perfect opportunity to complain to the designer as the were invented in France! :(

(Syndicat des Constructeurs d'Appareils Radiorécepteurs et Téléviseurs)

Keith

Not thought of the connectors on a scrap ATX power supply? Freely available sockets, the plugs may have to be bought, Maplins supply them.

(edited as I had them the wrong way round).

I was apprehensive about purchasing from Hong Kong and what they would be like but they are very good, delivery was swift and an amazing price.

I'd be more apprehensive about it coming through customs marked as "military equipment", as it might pick up a tail on its way through :lol:

it has been mentioned that Scart are not suitable for power connections, and this is very important with layouts as currents can be quite high, up to several amps on DCC feeds, far beyond the design ratings for Scart, which are at low AC signal levels. The high current can cause heating in the contact ,with risk of corrosion, and failure. Power and Scart do not mix at all.

Stephen.

Archived