Chestnut Street

captinfranko

I like the idea of a white sticky label Jack, I might have to try that. It's strange that there doesn't seem to much about. There are plenty of buses and lorries but not a great amount of cars. I have the Mazda's and the Range Rovers, but very little else. I also have the Beetle in "herbie 53" livery but it does look a bit out of place.

The eventual plan is to create a mini dealership on the scenic side of the layout, so I can experiment with different colours and modifications of cars for that.

I've seen a couple of herbie replicas running around (both new and old beetles done)

the thing with classic cars on modern image layouts is not to over-do them. pre 80's cars will normally be in decent condition and one house in 10 having one, if there's a driveway it is more likely out of two cars owned by the house that the classic will be on the drive.

positioning them poking out of a garage or tucked under a car cover would be a little different.

you also see classic car dealerships from time to time that have a bunch of euro hatches but then have an MGB (always an MGB) and something else such as a mk2 jag, E type, spitfire or similar on display.

if your layout is set in cornwall or devon then a VW camper or 12 is a must! :P

Update time! Much work has occured since my last update.

My low-relief Tesco is coming along nicely and now has a roof.

IMG_3089.jpg

But, I do now have a backscene in place.

IMG_3090.jpg

I made this myself in photoshop and used the dimensions for the Gaugemaster 00 backscene as a guide. I then split the picture into 13 A4 pages, printed them out and stcuk them together. I think it looks quite good and will eventually have some low relief factory fronts in front of it.

The high street is now coming along nicely and there is now a bus stop, with three stops and road signs.

IMG_3091.jpg

Argos, Costa and the Perfume Shop have moved in. Costa will eventually have some tables and seats outside, when I find a model supplier that makes them that is...

IMG_3092.jpg

I am also starting to turn my attentions to the back corner of the station side which I have decided to elevate to add a bit more interest to this side. As you can the tunnel entrance will eventually be designed to give the impression that the trains have arrived from through the garage wall.

IMG_3093.jpg

And just one final shot showing the back scene in place and the pendo, plus some random coaches, in place. Its starting to look like a layout, I hope.

IMG_3094.jpg

What a fantastic backscene! Even better that you have created it all yourself.

Any chance you can pop down to Southampton Maritime, take a few photos and create my backscene for First Avenue? lol

Dave

• 2 months later...

Having realised how rubbish I am at keeping this layout topic up to date I thought it would be a good opportunity to do an update and show some of the progress that I have made on Chestnut Street over the last few months. Unfortunately, because I started a new job in September, I have not had as much time as I would have liked on the layout so progress has slowed. However, I have managed to get a few things done and the layout is still moving (slowly) in the direction that I want it to.

Work on the back right corner continues. I have now added a second, self made, backscene to bend around the corner and along the back wall and installed the raised city area. The buildings are placed in position at the moment, but should stay roughly in those places. I am waiting for notification from Hattons that the low-relief underground station is in stock and then I am going to get one to replace the two terrace houses on the left of the shot. I am also planning to get another low relief block of flats to form a break between the two back scenes.

IMG_3257.jpg

Here is the newest addition to the layout. I am scratchbuilding a low-relief shopping center, based roughly on the one seen on the St Neots MRC layout Shopleigh. As you can see, I am only in the early stages at the moment but I think it looks okay. I have some small air-con units winging their way to me and I plan to put an entrance to an underground car-park at the back of the shopping centre.

IMG_3256.jpg

This shot show the area in front of the shopping centre that will be paved and include a Wagamama's restaurant which I am going to make by "kit-bashing" (Hopefully I used that term right) one of the new Bachmann Low Relief office units.

IMG_3254.jpg

Here's a better shot of the second backscene...

IMG_3258.jpg

• 2 months later...

One of my (many) new years resolutions was to keep my layout topic more up-to-date and post more regularly on here, so. Here is the most recent update for Chestnut Street. As the weather is nowhere near hospitiable at the moment work over the Christmas period, coupled with the arrival of my first son has slowed progress on the layout. I have however had the chance to purchase scenic items and buildings and work on my first scratch build, the low relief shopping center.

Here is a general view of the layout after a general tidy in the garage. This is the right hand "Station" side of the layout and the station that will be Chestnut Street. The scratch build of the shopping center has been removed as its not in a brilliant state at the moment and I'd like to think that this shot almost resembles a model railway.

GeneralOverview_zpscd8ac881.jpg

Here is the plan, or at least a photo of it stuck to the wall. My vague attempt at organisation and planning. The red line is the only continous run line around the layout. At the bottom of the diagram is the fiddle yard which will be hidden under a "massive" scenic board with the TMD in front of and below it.

Plan_zpsedf7c20f.jpg

I'm liking the direction this is going!

I had hoped when the end wall of tesco was put in place that it was either the end wall of the station building, either just still standing (like Buxton) or part of an over-roof. But many stations of this type are more along the lines of how you've modelled it.

I'm liking the direction this is going!

I had hoped when the end wall of tesco was put in place that it was either the end wall of the station building, either just still standing (like Buxton) or part of an over-roof. But many stations of this type are more along the lines of how you've modelled it.

I had hoped, and originally planned the same, but my modelling skills are nowhere near that level of ability. I barely managed to make the Tesco's look like a Tesco. Thanks anyway though.

@Class 108. A Wagamama is a chain of Chinese resturarants.

I did plan to do a burnout car at some point on the layout. I have also seen examples of cars crushed in vices to look like an accident so I might model that as well. Anyway the good news is that the brother-in-law has access to a laser guided cutter and so if I give him the plan drawings of the wood that I want cutting he can do it inch perfect for me. Therefore I may redesign the shopping centre a little bit, watch this space.

Archived