Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

If you think the kit looks impressive, wait till the 7mm scale version comes out with its own chassis kit!

I do, I am prepared to wait ....... is that long enough?... the question is will I be tempted into an OO9 one beforehand?

• RMweb Gold

Hello Everyone

If anyone wants the 4mm scale version of the Hudswell Badger when its released can you let me know off group by tomorrow morning 2/05/2012 at the latest so theres enough etches ordered.

• RMweb Gold

No the kit only covers the later/preserved variant.

If i can get more information then i can do the earlier version as a seperate kit.

Robert, looking at Badger photos the bonnet has obviously been modified at some stage with raised front panels. Does the kit cover both varients?

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

for those interested i have on ebay under member "rtmodels-kits" parkside dundas and cambrian wagon kits that came with the Albert Goodall range.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/rtmodels-kits/m.html?item=320888050722&sspagename=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT&rt=nc&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649&_trksid=p4340.l2562

These are being sold 15% less than current rrp as i want them gone asap.

Regarding the Hudswell Mines loco (well, variant thereof). I've had it in mind to build one of these as part of a narrow gauge surface system to parallel my - long term - colliery project. While Badger and its ilk are rather too modern (and have that enormous cab), I would be interested in an earlier type, built for mine use. Something like these:

http://www.bowesrailway.co.uk/locosandstock/und_2216-286.html

http://leedsengine.info/leeds/histhc.asp

The basic dimensions look similar, and though I'm quite happy to scratchbuild one, actually accessing one as Hudswell intended here in the south of England is tricky to say the least. Many surviving in preservation have been disfigured - despite being ugly enough to start with! - by new bodywork.

Adam

• RMweb Gold

Hi Adam,

i would consider this which some noises have been made to me about doing the mine version

The chasssis certainly looks identical to the Shotton versions.

I'll have to see if i can do a trip at some point unless someone is able to help?

Regarding the Hudswell Mines loco (well, variant thereof). I've had it in mind to build one of these as part of a narrow gauge surface system to parallel my - long term - colliery project. While Badger and its ilk are rather too modern (and have that enormous cab), I would be interested in an earlier type, built for mine use. Something like these:

http://www.bowesrail...d_2216-286.html

http://leedsengine.i...eeds/histhc.asp

The basic dimensions look similar, and though I'm quite happy to scratchbuild one, actually accessing one as Hudswell intended here in the south of England is tricky to say the least. Many surviving in preservation have been disfigured - despite being ugly enough to start with! - by new bodywork.

Adam

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

a quick update that the Albert Goodall range is slowly being looked through which the first test castings should arrive this week so we will see what they are like as some bits may need to have new moulds made?

The SR lamp standards and concrete pailing fencing will be introduced towards the end of the week to begin with.

The Harrogate Gas Works Drewry in 4mm scale, 009 gauge is about to have its moulds made in a few weeks so will see this re-introduced after a years absence with now a etched front grille and cab steps.

Also to be thrown in with the moulds is most of the castings required for the 4mm scale London Transport Hurst Nelson brake van and 60ft rail wagon so the former shouldn't be too far away now.

• RMweb Gold

Excellent news re Albert Goodhalls castings.

The replacement ash pans for the Hornby unrebuilts were my favourite items and still need more of them. Yhey needed a bit of modification to allow the pony truck to swing but were still much easier to use then scratch building them.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul, are you referring to one of these?

I have motted the idea but havn't measured these even though i had my measureing tape with me but measuring other rolling stock on the various sites.

post-8628-0-70042800-1337114556.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I know what you mean, my 2 west country's from years ago have scratch built ashpans following Alberts drawing but my recent one will have alberts castings attached to save me the work.

Another good bit of news, the latest batch of Lost wax brass bulleid pacific front steps have arrived so existing orders will be posted out the next few days.

Excellent news re Albert Goodhalls castings.

The replacement ash pans for the Hornby unrebuilts were my favourite items and still need more of them. Yhey needed a bit of modification to allow the pony truck to swing but were still much easier to use then scratch building them.

Hi Paul, are you referring to one of these?

Yes, that type of tub or similar.

Sounds like another trip to a railway then!

Might be worth trying the Red Rose Steam Society - they have a collection of tubs that could be worth checking out. Near me as well so I could join you.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

the Albert Goodall test castings have arrived and look promising although some bits will be dropped such as the front bogies and the manifold wheels as i've now replaced the latter with a etch.

Hopefully towards the end of next week the range will be live on the website but some extra/new bits will be added over time such as lost wax brass items etc

Going through the test castings, for the Merchant navy pony truck both the cast and fabricated sides are present but no truck itself for them to go on, although i do have the patterns to hand.

The question is, would you prefer the original main casting to be used or a new etch to be introduced?

Edited by RThompson
  • Like 2

....for the Merchant navy pony truck both the cast and fabricated sides are present but no truck itself for them to go on, although i do have the patterns to hand.

The question is, would you prefer the original main casting to be used or a new etch to be introduced?

Which would give the better performance?

• RMweb Gold

The whitemetal casting is substantial so has plenty of weight in it and seems to run well enough but a etched version will require additional weighting or springing. The etched version would be inside bearing whilst alberts runs with the pinpoint axles but seems designed for plain extended axles rather than pinpoint?

Which would give the better performance?

The whitemetal casting is substantial so has plenty of weight in it and seems to run well enough but a etched version will require additional weighting or springing. The etched version would be inside bearing whilst alberts runs with the pinpoint axles but seems designed for plain extended axles rather than pinpoint?

Thought: how about giving customers either option? Some will prefer the casting; others may go for the etch.

Another thought: just as Albert used to keep stocks of the old Kemilway Bulleid chassis kit, it might be an idea to link to Comet's own "Light Pacific" chassis kit. That would offer your customers a possible "complete solution".

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Just a quick note that the albert goodall range is now up and running.

There's still loads to do and other bits will be added over time of both alberts and mine.

I'm afraid I've had to increase the prices dramatically but are still cheaper than what they should be in todays prices.

Hi all,

Just a quick note that the albert goodall range is now up and running....

Looks as good as it ever did. I think the casting for the Light Pacific tender rear is missing (old part ref: TB) - Albert definitely produced one to improve the Airfix/ Dapol high-sided tender.