LBSC Lewes,based project locos and stock.

Thanks for the information, not a Brighton Circle member but must try to get a copy. If it provides more detail joining would be more worthwhile. The railway magazine had line drawing, but really outline in quality. there do not seem to be any photographs of the original rolling bridge, to early really for the local photographers. Gran, who lived in Lewes as a child, remembered her mother mentioning a rolling bridge, or at least a "moving bridge" with a tower, so it was the early ones, and may have been the early one on the line to the east, quickly replace with a new gradient and embankment earthworks to raise the approaches..

Passengers would not have noticed anything usual about travelling across them, but locals would have seen them moving in the distance.

Stephen.

Still plenty to do to get the old layout operational but we are getting there slowly. There is a bit in this month's Modeller about the move.

The 5 & 9 casting set is not listed on their website as far as I can tell. I saw what looked like a suitable chimney and emailed to see if they had any other "Terrier" castings available, the response being that they do a "Terrier" set of castings for £5, which represents really good value. I had to modify the cab roof (which was too wide) but otherwise the castings are excellent.

I expect they did them because the parts were poor on the K's as far as things like the fillers etc were concerned. K's filler were barely round and distorted a bit. Same went for some domes, and chimneys.

Stephen.

Hi,

Whilst not up to the standard of t-b-g scratch built terrier, here's a couple of photos of a Westward Terrier kit - I've added a brass shim wing plate and a turned brass chimney - the wheels I think are Sharman's. The driven axle is fixed with a 38:1 ultrascale gear set with a 2:1 spur onto a 3/32" layshaft - other axles are in MJT hornblocks. I originally put a 1024 open frame motor in, but the pole pieces attracted the steel rims of the wheels! - cured with the round mashima can motor.

best wishes

Richard

• 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...

I will be picking up on this project as I have recovered enough health to be able to tackle it, albeit only the Lewes station bit, added to the RTR Southern layout being built. several coaches and locos to work on, plus the track.

Stephen

Archived