LMS push-pull coaches.

27 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Farish used to do a (OO) suburban brake (also with duckets) - is that suitable for such conversion?

Depends on how accurate you want to be by using a generic coach that originally came out decades ago.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't it have it's origins in the early 1950s and then was revamped about 1975? I don't think they've been available since about 1980.

Makes the Airfix coaches seem like modern RTR.

Especially since the new Hornby ones are currently in bargain bins for about £25 to £30.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

Farish 00 stock discussed here.  

I wasn't aware that it had previously been available as a kit with tin roof. 

I have one or two which came RTR and with plastic rooves, probably 1970s/80s.

The plastic roof was to a similar standard as contemporary Airfix etc coaches.

I've got a couple of the 1970s versions that I spuriously painted into SR green. ISTR they were originally teak colour. But it was when I was about ten or eleven and needed something for my R1 to pull. So a quick coat of Humbrol SR Green and some PC transfers.

Acquired from the box of old junk models in Hattons, probably for something like 50p.

Of their time. Probably fine as a collectors item if you have good condition ones. But I wouldn't waste good money on detailing or altering them. There are better alternatives nowadays, whether it's altering the Hornby RTR or building the Comet kits.

Jason

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Farish used to do a (OO) suburban brake (also with duckets) - is that suitable for such conversion?

I'm not sure that it was dimensionally accurate. The doors on one side are the wrong way round IIRC and the door lines are raised. 

In y view the best starting points are

1)  A Hornby BT with Comet end for P3 to Diagram 1856 Nos 24410 - 24429

For this one remove the duckets and fill the spigot holes behind them. File off the detail from the brake end, cut an aperture for the driver's windows. Fit the Comet end and detailing.

You would need to check the roof vents as some lots of the LMS suburbans had torpedo vents and some had shell vents. I don't know if Hornby git the right variations for their numbers.

2)  Airfix/Dapol BTL plus the body from either a BTL or CL for a donor compartment, for a P2 BT or Pull-Push conversion.

Cut out the lavatory section. Cut one compartment section from the donor body and test fit in place of the lavatory, ensuring that the correct compartment spacing is maintained. Cut out the window between the innermost compartment and double doors, making the guard's compartment shorter to get the correct overall body length. Reposition roof vents as necessary. This will give you a a body for Diagram 1735 BT as seen in one of my posts on the previous page.

To make this into the Pull-Push conversion, file off the detail from the brake end, drill out and file to size the driver's windows and add detailing.

I used a broken CD case as a source for the driving cab glazing. Detailing was done with whitemetal pipes, RCH jumpers and horn, etched wiper and lamp irons plus some bits of Evergreen strip over the windows.