FTG Models - SPA wagon - Network Rail

Hugh Flynn

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Had a play with the new model and started to make some changes!

I only got the plain Railfreight models - But the changes below relate to all variations of these models.

First - Renumbering - The numbers can be removed with an accurate eye, fine paintbrush and Butanone. With care you can remove them without messing up the white lines of the data panel.

Replacement numbers from your preferred decal source.

Second - Painting the inside black - Simple task really.

For floor only -  with care you can paint just the floor as there is a slight ridge at the bottom of the sides that the paint will flow up to.

For floor and insides just take care not to go over the top of the sides or ends.

Third - The Baulk Timber framing - Does not represent the usual type of baulk timbers that were fitted to the wagons when new - more research required to see if they relate to changes at a later date.

I am replacing the supplied timbers with scale lumber 6" by 4" marked on the pack but to HO scale as they are marketed for US modellers.

See Paul Bartletts photo site for an end 'over the top' view and a side on view as this will make it clearer about how to fit the replacement baulks.

See this link for what appears to be the basis of the timber baulks supplied with the wagon.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/50619197@N07/15998954602

Forth - Disc brakes - See earlier post as I have done exactly the same as RS4.

Fifth - The stanchions - I am holding on doing this as I need to find out the positions and cannot find a photo that shows the shape clearly.

Photos once I get sufficient light!

Thanks

Finally had a good look at mine tonight. Very impressed with the wagon, but as has been stated, the couplings do require replacing. I have used kadee no 20's, but I have found the coupling pocket supplied with the wagon is larger than all others so all fish tail couplings I have tried, (kadee, Bachmann, Hornby ) all flop about. I swapped them for some spare Bachmann ones I had, inserted the kadees and all is well.

So Hugh, please keep up the good work, but on future batches, please change the specification on the coupling pocket, and supply longer shanked couplings.

As for the removed pockets and couplings. I shall be using them with Parkside mounts on future kit builds

Hi all,

I only got the plain Railfreight models - But the changes below relate to all variations of these models.

First - Renumbering - The numbers can be removed with an accurate eye, fine paintbrush and Butanone. With care you can remove them without messing up the white lines of the data panel.

For floor only -  with care you can paint just the floor as there is a slight ridge at the bottom of the sides that the paint will flow up to.

For floor and insides just take care not to go over the top of the sides or ends.

Third - The Baulk Timber framing - Does not represent the usual type of baulk timbers that were fitted to the wagons when new - more research required to see if they relate to changes at a later date.

I am replacing the supplied timbers with scale lumber 6" by 4" marked on the pack but to HO scale as they are marketed for US modellers.

See Paul Bartletts photo site for an end 'over the top' view and a side on view as this will make it clearer about how to fit the replacement baulks.

See this link for what appears to be the basis of the timber baulks supplied with the wagon.

Fifth - The stanchions - I am holding on doing this as I need to find out the positions and cannot find a photo that shows the shape clearly.

Thanks

The timber baulks supplied look like the ones fitted on wagons used for rod-coil traffic from Cardiff, allowing the wagons to carry two rows of coil along the length of the wagon. The original baulks, described as battens in the relevant BR Data Sheet, were fitted traversely, and were somewhat less substantial. The stanchions, when fitted, were of box-section and, if the examples I saw were typical, inadequate. Most that I saw were badly bent.

• RMweb Gold

The timber baulks supplied look like the ones fitted on wagons used for rod-coil traffic from Cardiff, allowing the wagons to carry two rows of coil along the length of the wagon. The original baulks, described as battens in the relevant BR Data Sheet, were fitted traversely, and were somewhat less substantial. The stanchions, when fitted, were of box-section and, if the examples I saw were typical, inadequate. Most that I saw were badly bent.

They definitely look like cradles for that sort of traffic - and very probably as used on that flow.  Easy to overlook that the cradles etc/arrangement of load securing timbers on steel carrying wagons would be very much what was needed for a particular flow and what experience had shown was teh best way to arrange things for that particular sort of traffic.

Hi all,

Thanks

Hi

Thanks for purchase , first got to say let me see photos when you finish wagon.

When the wagons were new they were painted Railfreight red inside.

I always said I did not want wood fitted inside as when I do some other liveries the wood was removed.

The cradles were drawn from my photo,s (like your photo) when steel coils were used.

Hugh

They definitely look like cradles for that sort of traffic - and very probably as used on that flow.  Easy to overlook that the cradles etc/arrangement of load securing timbers on steel carrying wagons would be very much what was needed for a particular flow and what experience had shown was teh best way to arrange things for that particular sort of traffic.

There were some dedicated to pig iron traffic which had the doors protected by longitudinal baulks of thick timber at a 45 degree angle from the top of the door to floor level. Others, used for tinplate coil from Trostre to Wisbech, had locating spigots to secure the coils and a box at one end, presumably to stow the sheets.

My Cardiff Rod Mill SPA has arrived today.  I'm really pleased with it.  The pictures on this thread, including mine below despite my best efforts, make the livery look more washed out than it actually is.  I'm going to do a little weathering on the underframe and then leave the body as it is out of the box, so the wagon looks something like this: http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brspa/h396c1af6#h396c1af6.

Here is the SPA being shunted on Highgate Wood Sidings to form part of a Speedlink service heading to Wales:

post-17625-0-82422100-1418997590_thumb.jpg

post-17625-0-26894200-1418997598_thumb.jpg

So. I got an email from Hugh this week kindly informing me the wagons would soon be on their way. Jolly good thinks I! I decided to have a look on this thread to see if there were any pictures up yet.

Reading through the last few pages I really don't know whether to laugh or cry, hourly cryptic shipping updates, the usual 'experts' telling all and sundry what needs to be put right without actually seeing the model or having any experience of the prototype, bickering, this really is quite funny, we are talking about a piece of model railway stock here!

Hats off to Hugh for having the balls to produce something there's a market for, and roll on the next tanker, really can't wait for that one. It beggars belief that there are so many window lickers just sitting waiting, ready to pounce with keyboard warrior comments about someones personal efforts. Granted nothing in our 4mm World is ever 100% accurate, but if that's what you want, do it yourself and stop belittling others.

It wasn't that many Years ago when all we had to play with in the 4mm diesel world were various lumps of plastic that were a rough approximation of the prototype. The difference was things seemed so much more fun then, and we were more accepting of current standards.How things have changed. I really do think some people need to get a grip and stop taking this wonderful hobby of ours so seriously.    

I think Phil is on the right track, black insides would be most common. There is at least one with red sides and black floor, but its the first of the batch and photographed at a special Railfreight event within days of being out-shopped from Shildon, I'm not sure if its unique, but I wouldn't regard it as standard.

When the wagons were new they were painted Railfreight red inside.

Errors or omissions that the modeller can correct at home with a simple coat of paint really ought to be acknowledged, I'm sure Hugh's fan club will disagree, but don't let the facts get in the way. When I saw Mick B's photos I thought 'that's not nearly as bad as I was expecting' followed by 'perhaps Hugh ought to invest his profit in learning how to take high quality model photo's' because in the right light his own photos have not shown the wagons good points very well, its just a shame that from what I can see at least one of the bad points that I pointed out back on page 3-4, that is difficult to correct at home, has continued to the production model, or I might have been quite complimentary about them.

Jon

I'm sure Hugh's fan club will disagree, but don't let the facts get in the way.

In the interests of balance, I'll correct this again.  No sycophancy going on; look over this thread and you'll see constructive criticism, with fix advice. 

You'll also see one blatant attempt at sabotage.  

And here are some more facts/feedback, based on which I still don't feel the need to seek out a refund:

Inside black: http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brspa/h3def194a#h3def194a

Inside black and red: http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brspa/h3b1aaf39#h3b1aaf39

I'm sorry, I normally stay quiet in the background but these condescending comments are just ill mannered and if there's one thing I can't stand is bad manners.

This is Hugh's first attempt at producing a long waited for prototype that many of us have wanted and should be congratulated for that. Not down trodden with these, guide frankly, nasty comments. Constructive criticism is fine but you're comments are a personal bashing such as belittling his photographic skills.

The way you're going on its as if no manufacturer of RTR has ever made a mistake before. There have been a lot of glaring errors on a lot more high profile models from the blue and red boys than what has appeared on Hugh's humble wagon.

If you don't like the wagon, that's fine you don't have to buy one, but stop posting this drivel because if you haven't realised by now no one on here is listening because they just see your posts as the pure spite that they are.

I shall look forward to the forthcoming "disagree" and take it with pride.

Marcus

Gents, there is little point in going over old ground so far as what was said previously and when, we on this forum do not have an issue with constructive criticism provided it is not made in a repetitive or potentially inflammatory way.  Please can we remain constructive and civil. 

• RMweb Gold

Hugh, many thanks for the email telling me that my two would be posted on Thursday. Happy to report that they arrived this morning, very well wrapped and in perfect condition. I am looking forward to adding them to my layout. Congratulations on your first production and enjoy a good rest over the Christmas break!

very best wishes

Godfrey

In the interests of balance, I'll correct this again.  No sycophancy going on; look over this thread and you'll see constructive criticism, with fix advice. 

You'll also see one blatant attempt at sabotage.  

And here are some more facts/feedback, based on which I still don't feel the need to seek out a refund:

Inside black: http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brspa/h3def194a#h3def194a

Inside black and red: http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brspa/h3b1aaf39#h3b1aaf39

I don't disagree with either of those photo links that you have provided, I would just point out that the red-sided example is 460002, which was the lowest numbered of the production batch, and it is seen in Pauls photos at a Railfreight sales event on 1st March of 1979, which would put it only days out of works which *might* indicate it was non-standard. The other photo you link to shows clearly numerous new examples with black interiors. Every other photo I can find shows a black interior, so I welcome any evidence that the majority were otherwise.

Jon

Hi

Just to let you know Every order has been posted out as promised, there is a backlog with all couriers I have tried my best to have all uk orders delivered before xmas

but some might run over, all overseas orders are also posted,

I would like to thank many of you for your support yes I made a mistake on coupling and hold my hand up to this (but never had 2 wagons to put together) I have come in for some

flack from certain people about wagon but I will learn from it and move on.

around 52% of stock sold but I do need the rest to go to place order for second run.(new paint scheme)

Everyone that has placed an order this year will have first chance to place there order for second run if they would like it, you will know more early next year?

Hugh

Hugh - I would predict that, once all the mags have published reviews of the model, you should quickly gain a lot more sales. Did you see any increase once the last BRM came out?

Thanks again for what you have done.

Yes sold more one mag review done

Railway Modeller Feb issue next

Plain railfreight very popular but for me I like the Cardiff rod mill ones?

Hugh

Yes sold more one mag review done

Railway Modeller Feb issue next

Plain railfreight very popular but for me I like the Cardiff rod mill ones?

Hugh

The Cardiff's are pretty, but I could not justify them for a layout setting (Queenborough) near to Sheerness Steel! I am sure someone will point out that some of these found their way to there, but I never saw any in the early to mid 80's.

Hi - Hugh

Thank you for the e-mail giving me notification of despatch. Item arrived in perfect condition thanks to more than adequate packaging!!

Have just unpacked the model and want to let you know that I am very pleased with what you have achieved and am looking forward to your next release ( any chance of the SPA being done in EWS maroon livery? )

Would be interested to know which items from the first release are still available to order.

Thank you again for what you have achieved!!

RCAR6015

Archived