RMweb

Lime Street Station

Les Green

Can you find a better photo hosting service?

This is why I try and promote people loading the images to RMweb as attachments so that their availability runs along with the rest of the site being available. It also speeds page loading for readers.

Just click on the 'More REply Options' when replying and attach the pictures. It takes less time than loading them elsewhere and pasting the links in too.

• Like 1

This is why I try and promote people loading the images to RMweb as attachments so that their availability runs along with the rest of the site being available. It also speeds page loading for readers.

Just click on the 'More REply Options' when replying and attach the pictures. It takes less time than loading them elsewhere and pasting the links in too.

Can't see linked or hosted pics at work as my employer blocks them so attached ones are always better!

• Like 1

This is a really inspiring layout - if one has the space. I first saw it at Wigan a few years back and after seeing the photos above I'd certainly like to see it again as it develops I spent many an hour in the station in the late '50s and early '60s watching the comings and goings. The next to last photo in post #429 brings back memories of queueing to board the train for Butlins Pwhelli on summer Saturdays. The trains - usually 2 or 3 in the peak weeks, I think - would be in platforms 8 or 9, and the queue would be out of the station and right down the little road behind the row of shops facing Lime Street and out onto Lime Street itself at times.

Colin

• Like 1

some prototype shots..

nice modern ariel shot..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stephenbrennan/3463434791/

the infamous pacer.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dmc1947/6116474693/in/photostream/

traffic policeman.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22115010@N06/3755657386/

lord nelson hotel with Ribble bus in 1973.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23207961@N07/2554174142/

and my favourite, colour nightime shot in 1961 just opposite the station.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/431478332/in/faves-45827152@N07/

• Like 1

Or may be Liverpool Football Club on their return from Wembley after winning the FA Cup. Any offers to paint a few figures?

post-8613-0-26806000-1318321367.jpg

Maybe another trophy tomorrow then eh?

I've just spent some time reading this thread and I'm completely marmalised! :O

It's one of those dream layouts… splendiferous work, my compliments to the team and the fact that you exhibit it is pretty amazing! And there are so many strands to this thread… the semaphore signals, the control systems for which, is mind-boggling - and the Faller tram/car operation… all clever stuff.

Great team spirit of dedicated, like-minded friends on a project like this is something special; something maybe many of us who work in isolation could only dream of. However, it does confirm, in the nicest possible way, that Ron Heggs and Jim S-W – working alone on Manchester Central and Birmingham New Street respectfully – are both completely bonkers!

Even if I make it to Ally Pally, I doubt whether I'd get to the front of the queue to see this.

Edited by Mucky Duck
  • Like 2

I would echo Mucky Duck and the superlatives of the previous commentators. This is a project demonstrating the hobby at it's highest technical level. I think there's a lot of us in this community who are more or less bonkers or as one might put it, maintaining the enduring spirit of great British eccentricity. Whatever the cause, the outcomes shown in this thread and many others are wonderful.

Andrew

PS When I saw that shot of the row of shops I could only murmur "I'll get my coat": just kidding I actually returned to my own efforts within 30 mins.

some prototype shots..

and my favourite, colour nightime shot in 1961 just opposite the station.

http://www.flickr.co...s-45827152@N07/

Great shot that. The nearest side in the view of the triangular car park in front of the shops provided the terminus for the no 23 bus route which was my route home from Liverpool. It was also the site for the Punch & Judy stand before it went on to St George's plateaux.

Colin

I spent an enjoyable couple of hours last night reading through (most) of this thread - the bits on the electrics went way over my head, I can barely wire a plug - and have to say I'm amazed by the layout.

I wanted to single out the roof as a work of art, but the buildings, the signals, even the control panels and transit systems are amazing too.

Has any decision been made on whether to complete the roof? You mentioned earlier in the thread that since the decision had been made not to glaze the roof, it would be decided later whether to produce the final centre sections of the train shed. I think that as there won't be glazing to obstruct the view now, it would be worth adding in that final pair of sections to make the roof complete (sorry, I know that means a huge amount of work!).

Truly magnificent layout. Says something about current British modelling and also Victorian railway engineering.

A much-used station by yours truly.

On a personal note, don't forget the trainspotters on platform 7!

One novel use of the short bay platform was to unload scenery for the nearby theatres, No idea which type of long van was used, it was a long time ago!

Cheers

Martin Heazell

ex Wirral now nr Cambridge