Lime Street Station

Les Green

I showed the pictures and video to my Dad; just thought I would share his response:

Truly wonderful, and just as I remembered it. Of course, I spent just as much time at the other end at Manchester Exchange as it was in those days! The main platform there connected without a break with Victoria, making it the longest platform in the world. It could, and did, accommodate three passenger trains end to end. And the taxis and GPO vehicles ran onto the platform at Manchester and Liverpool as in the model. Great days....and many hours passed in my young days awaiting trains; inhaling the all-pervading empty fish boxes, and watching rats dodging along the black, oily ballast.`Elf `n` Safety? not a bit!

We have the pigeons. Looks like we will have to order a few rats now.

• Like 1

some prototype shots..

and my favourite, colour nightime shot in 1961 just opposite the station.

http://www.flickr.co...s-45827152@N07/

Would you believe that's my dad's photograph. If you look closely you'll see that it was taken from the top deck of a bus. My daughter is also a keen photographer and took a modern version of my dad's original shot - only hampered by the new video wall preventing proper light trails.....

6577513511_e04502ced3_z.jpg

St Johns Place - Liverpool by ScouseTiegan, on Flickr

She's not a train enthusiast but she does a nice line in train based light trails.....here's a search on her Flickr account

My personal favourite she's created....

6270269647_abb9a11ee1_z.jpg

London Paddington Light Trail by ScouseTiegan, on Flickr

• Like 4

Thank you.

She's gotten some filters now so next time we're back home she'll do it properly!

Been watching this thread as a lurker - I'm an ex-rail enthusiast really......but still keep abreast of the news ;)

Thank you.

She's gotten some filters now so next time we're back home she'll do it properly!

Been watching this thread as a lurker - I'm an ex-rail enthusiast really......but still keep abreast of the news ;)

itd be good if they put your dad's 1960s shot up on the video wall :)

Final running session yesterday in preparation for Ally Pally. All went well, if you ignore the head on crash between a freight train and a light engine. Oops! (N.B. for New Bryford - it wasn't me driving at the time)

Final running session yesterday in preparation for Ally Pally. All went well, if you ignore the head on crash between a freight train and a light engine. Oops! (N.B. for New Bryford - it wasn't me driving at the time)

We await the RAIB (or MoT) report with interest!

I have just logged into this post and spent the last several hours being totally demoralised.

Friends said I was mad to build another house just because I wanted a new layout, they were right. I think I need to forget railway modelling, get a couple of tattoos, buy an 'I Phone' and a 'Wii game' be sensible for once.

Lime Street and my own efforts are like admitting I enjoy cycling like Mark Cavendish and Bradley Wiggins. We all use round wheels but there the similarity ends.

A credit to all of the Lime Street team. (You've just made a grown man cry)

Dave Shakespeare (Ex Railway modeller)

• Like 1

All packed up and ready to go to Ally Pally. We even have nominated team leaders responsible for different aspects of the packing up process. Each team leader has a written detailed list of tasks to be done. All very efficient and it seems to work well so far.

I have just logged into this post and spent the last several hours being totally demoralised.

Friends said I was mad to build another house just because I wanted a new layout, they were right. I think I need to forget railway modelling, get a couple of tattoos, buy an 'I Phone' and a 'Wii game' be sensible for once.

Lime Street and my own efforts are like admitting I enjoy cycling like Mark Cavendish and Bradley Wiggins. We all use round wheels but there the similarity ends.

A credit to all of the Lime Street team. (You've just made a grown man cry)

Dave Shakespeare (Ex Railway modeller) Dont get dishartened your modeling is just as good ,agree about Cav and Wiggo but even Cav couldnt turn on Sat in Milan San Remo tattoos arent with it but I do know someone who can take them off!!!!!!!!!