BR Southern Region carriage set numbers

tender

A question for all you southern region guru's out there.

I have just acquired two Hornby Maunsell Brake coaches (R4305E and R4320C) with running numbers 3736 and 6657 which, i believe make up Set 199, in Hornby's interpretation of BR Southern green. However, unlike some other 'Sets' in the Hornby range of Maunsell coaches they don't carry the set number on the carriage ends. Did BR phase out the numbering of these carriage sets or are Hornby skimping on their lettering?

If they should be numbered can anybody recommend a supply of suitable transfers.

Regards

Ray.

Guest Belgian

A question for all you southern region guru's out there.

I have just acquired two Hornby Maunsell Brake coaches (R4305E and R4320C) with running numbers 3736 and 6657 which, i believe make up Set 199, in Hornby's interpretation of BR Southern green. However, unlike some other 'Sets' in the Hornby range of Maunsell coaches they don't carry the set number on the carriage ends. Did BR phase out the numbering of these carriage sets or are Hornby skimping on their lettering?

If they should be numbered can anybody recommend a supply of suitable transfers.

Regards

Ray.

There's lots of stuff about these sets elsewhere on RMweb.

I have just acquired two Hornby Maunsell Brake coaches (R4305E and R4320C) with running numbers 3736 and 6657 which, i believe make up Set 199, in Hornby's interpretation of BR Southern green.

3736 and 6657 made up set 199 from 1930 to 1961

3736 was a diag 2102 BTK

6657 was a diag 2401 BCK

j

Thanks for your replies but it doesn't answer the original question.

Would set 199 in BR livery have had the set number painted on the Brake ends (Have Hornby just been lazy and left them off)?

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for your replies but it doesn't answer the original question.

Would set 199 in BR livery have had the set number painted on the Brake ends (Have Hornby just been lazy and left them off)?

I think Hornby still haven't really grasped the value of producing Sets. Really those two coaches should have come as a 2-Set will numbers on the brake ends. Would have saved the effort of tracking down the individual coaches and then applying the set numbers.

Mind you I've taken off the set numbers from other coaches following renumbering....

• RMweb Premium

One or two websites can help with SR set numbers, but I find this one easiest to understand. A copy of Gould and/or King can help, of course.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/lsw.lbsc/00COACHS/SETREGST.HTM

I agree, unless you want 1960s sets for which I find the SEMG website more comprehensive SEMG coach sets.

As regards Hornby's inclusion of set numbers on the brake coach ends, the first produced Maunsell coaches in olive green and BR(SR) green did not include them - they first appeared on the blood and custard versions and as far as I know have been included on all brakes since then. For example, the 4-compartment brake 2nds in BR(SR) green have them, as do those in sets and coach packs.

As regards Hornby's inclusion of set numbers on the brake coach ends, the first produced Maunsell coaches in olive green and BR(SR) green did not include them - they first appeared on the blood and custard versions and as far as I know have been included on all brakes since then. For example, the 4-compartment brake 2nds in BR(SR) green have them, as do those in sets and coach packs.

The two 6 compartment Brake coaches (BSK- 6657 [R4320C] and BCK-3736 [R4305E]) that make up set 199 in BR (SR)green don't have set numbers on the ends.

• RMweb Premium

The two 6 compartment Brake coaches (BSK- 6657 [R4320C] and BCK-3736 [R4305E]) that make up set 199 in BR (SR)green don't have set numbers on the ends.

Correct. And they wouldn't as they (or at least the first versions R4305A and R4320A) preceded the blood and custard models. The B/C/D/E versions are simply renumerings. I have checked from the Hattons Trade site which has photos, R4348A/B/C (the B+C 6 compartment brake) does not have them but R4349A (4 compartment) does.

• RMweb Gold

Fox Transfers do sets to help you. Even I have managed to get passable set #s on the ends of Hornby Maunsells.

Thanks for that, i'll get an order off to Fox Tranfers in the morning. Last time i put transfers on anything was over forty years ago on an Arfix Spitfire. Hope i can remember how to do it.

Ray.

Fox Transfers do sets to help you. Even I have managed to get passable set #s on the ends of Hornby Maunsells.

Before reading this post I've just numbered my two coaches for Set 199 using Roxey rub-on numbers!

The actual set number was not on the sheet but used Set 189 and changed the middle digit from the spares. I find that the adhesive quality of these "transfers" is variable - some appear to have rubbed on OK but then there are parts of the numeral missing when the carrier paper is removed, others leave parts of adjacent numerals on the coach with just the minimum of pressure.

Have also got a sheet of Fox set numbers BUT these are of a much smaller font than the Roxey or Hornby set numbers.

Regards

Mike

Archived