DEEPING LANE DEPOT

mason

Hi Mate, keeping it small is the way to go as I found with Marston, I added a third board and lost the plot and the will to continue, so it is put to one side until I sort out which way to go. You have so much detail but it doesn't look over crowded so keep it up. Andy.

Edited by Andrew P

Hi Andy

Thats exactly what i dont want to happen, which has happened before were i plan on adding another board then i lose the plot of were im going with it, im really happy with how this layout has turned out and there are things i can improve and i think in the past iv built a layout and as soon its finished iv sold it but i wanna enjoy this one and build my stock up.

I think there are a few little tweeks in the detail needed but nothing major, and a few touch ups here and there, iv got under board issues to deal with really like tidying the wiring up, add a CDU for better point operation, unsure if to make them DCC or not yet and add a couple of lights to the right hand side, then pay a little more attention to the fiddel yard and exhibition running.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Neil,

I think that you are best following your plans - i.e. not extending the layout. I think that there is a danger that extending the layout may spoil what you have achieved.

I'm not sure that you will get much benefit from DCC operated points - being a compact layout, the points are in easy reach and don't think that it is probably worth the expense. A bit different on Orchard Road, being a larger layout and allows me to operate the whole layout from anyway, but of course OR is bigger than DL.

Have you got any plans / thoughts on something new?

Hi Richard

i agree mate, i like it just the way it is now and its easy to operate on my own.

iv kinda scrapped the dcc points idea now anyway mate, for the same reasons you have mentioned, i may go for some tortoise or something similar, or maybe the way ray has gone but thats going to take some work and learning..

plans/thoughts of something new? .....well im going to make the photo board a little bigger so i can get some better angles on it, maybe create an embankment on it and also play about with some painting and weathering techniques on some lamp huts, 1 of which may find its way onto DL in the under growth. but im going to mostly concentrate on the stock i have and get some sound fitted and the wagons converted to chain couplings and finish detailing them.

think i need to get a few wagon kits and looking at a couple of snow ploughs to sit at either end of DL that will be super detailed, there are 2 sat at peterborough waiting for some photos to be taken.

will get in touch soon mate, probably the weekend as im nights this week.

Hi all

i managed to get a little modelling done today, i purchased a couple of wills lamp huts just to have a mess around with and try some different techniques.

i built up the lamp hut with out the roof first, painted the walls a rust colour and then while wet added some salt to certain areas, iv seen this technique used on a few web pages and thought id give it a try.

i then painted over the salt and rust with the base colour.

once dry i rubbed off the salt which revealed the rust colour underneath, some of the salt stayed on which i thought gave a nice effect.

i then sprayed the whole thing with hairspray and flicked rust and dirt powders all over and as it was drying ran a thick brush over ( thanks Cav for that tip ).

i repeated the same process for the roof.

i made a broken window from a scrap piece of clear plastic, snipped a corner off then in the opposite corner gentle twisted a small screw into it and then with a scalpel blade scored the fracture lines.

i dont think its too bad and i couldnt resist a few shots with my favourite loco.

post-6696-0-68124200-1317387205.jpg

post-6696-0-76300100-1317387207.jpg

post-6696-0-39377600-1317387210.jpg

post-6696-0-75474000-1317387212.jpg

post-6696-0-66880500-1317387215.jpg

post-6696-0-28030700-1317387219.jpg

Cheers

Neil

• Like 2

Thanks Cav, im very pleased with it, its not fixed yet, and i want to add a few little details around it, some weeds and an old barrel and some sleepers maybe.

I think i might add a few little details on the back wall too, nothing major and maybe a couple of security lights so i can get some really good night shots.

thee will be run by battery packs so that the board stays as portable as possible.

i think i should have made a separate thread for this hahaha.

iv been thinking of adding an embankment to the front, this should give me some good upward and distance angles, im not to sure yet.

i may make it from a piece of foam with the embankment carved into it and a slot so the board can drop in it.

Thought i would go down to Deeping Lane tonday and have a look what was about, a couple of 47s and a 37 and a very shiny visitor not seen in these parts before a NSE 47 must have been through a apint shop as it was very shiny.luckily i took the camera alon to capture the event.

post-6696-0-56001600-1317588984.jpg

post-6696-0-20815700-1317588989.jpg

post-6696-0-84729500-1317588991.jpg

post-6696-0-07532800-1317588994.jpg

a few more locos will be hopefully showing up over the next few months and a lot od detailing and weathering of stock to be done.

Mansfield show now confirmed for next year.

Cheers

Neil

• Like 2

Nice shots Neil the outdoors ones make all the difference. I still feel that cannon yard ought to be used as an extension to the front of deeping (to the left). As for the NSE 47. Top loco, far too clean haha.

Cav

Nice shots Neil the outdoors ones make all the difference. I still feel that cannon yard ought to be used as an extension to the front of deeping (to the left). As for the NSE 47. Top loco, far too clean haha.

Cav

hahaha ya know what Cav ya could be right, i may be able to put it in there by just using a Y point into it the other side into the fiddle yard, its something else to look at, stop putting these ideas into my head hahahaha

Thanks Chris, after all it is yours, you need me to unleash the powders on it though HAHAHAHA

I am really liking NSE 573, I remember when it was first painted in that livery and appeared on the front cover of Rail Enthusiast. I did really like that one. She looks really nice and smart with the wheel rims, pipes and axle boxes painted.

Funny isn’t it as I quite fancy a model of that one, Kernow’s GWR Green 079, Rails 47461 and 541 but having all those celebrity 47s on shed at Boxenby will look a bit silly especially as it should be 20s, 56s and 58s!

I can just imagine 800 slowly rumbling out of the shed!

Hi Alex

I totally agree, but i like my locos grubby and that NSE is way to shiny :), hopefully chris will let ,me loose on it. if i keep hold of it i might just use it as a celeb loco.

i really like that pic, think the driver needs to get some mr muscle window cleaner out though.

i should really get my self some 56's and 58's, and all being well next month should see a 60 and another 20 popping up in Deeping.

Hi Neil, Great photos buddy but SORRY I never did like the 47's in NSE, saw them daily when George and I lived near Portsmouth. and I also lived in Buckfast, Devon in that period and used to drive down and park up outside Lira, Exeter St Davids and Dawlish. My favorite in NSE was THE 50's and 33's. I do like the grubby 37 though, thats BRILL :sungum:

:) Thanks andy, to be honest its not my cup of tea either, i just had it sat there keeping it safe for someone so i thought id see what it looked like on the layout.

Im really pleased with the 37 tho, need to do a little work to tidy it up but its looking good.

If I'm honest I always preferred the revised NSE scheme, much more toned down and the lack of upturned stripes worked better I thought. That said I used to have a detailed and weathered 86401 in old NSE which was awsome!!

Cav

Hi Martin, sounds good to me, look forward to taking in some visiting locos, when are you looking at coming??

Hi Andrew, thanks for the kind comments, there is facility in the depot for wagon repair, i have multi skilled workers :)

Hi Cav, id like to have a NSE 50 for some reason, just like them in that livery, gotta be seriously dulled down though :)

Thanks Peter, looks alot better with some grime on it, i think ts just the model and the fact its a little bright, especially to what my other stuff is, i like the mucky look hahahaha

Hi Martin, sounds good to me, look forward to taking in some visiting locos, when are you looking at coming??

was woken up at 0520 this morning hence too tired to drop round today, next Saturday will be visiting the showground for the festival so if i see you there can work out a suitable time for guest locos to get their pictures taken, just don't expect them to run, they are chipped for zero 1

:sungum: Martin, i didnt go to bed till gone 2, so was shattered this morning too.

I will be at the Peterborough show on saturday too with my dad so i will grab you when i see you and have a chat and make some arrangements, i may have some spare chips if the will take them and im sure we can get some good pics.

• Like 1

Hi all

Not much in the way of updates as iv had a busy time with work, night shift for the following 2 weeks though which should see some work done.

all i have acheived is doing the pipework on the 09.

Also iv had a few dates for exhibitions for Deeping Lane for 2012.

Mansfield 3rd + 4th of March 2012,

Thanks Ian ( Redgate Models ) for the invite again really enjoy this show and it will be the first outting for the layout.

Also in the nearly confirmed phase are-

Deeping St james - 14th + 15th April.

Boston - 29th + 30th September.

I am really looking forward to getting the layout on the road, please come and say hello.

There are a few bits that i need to get done for Mansfield including the portable legs, CDU and transformer as the points and lights are only temporaraly powered.

get a few bits of stock chip and detail them.

sort the signage out and some details for the frontage.

and fit a couple of lights into the right hand rear corner.

All pretty easy to get done in the time frame.