Mag-watch Model Rail 155

dibber25

Nice to see my Layout Pen Y Bont in print at last!

I can't believe it's been 12 months since Craig Tiley came and took the pictures.

I hope you were please with how the pictures looked in the magazine. I'm pleased with how they've been reproduced - was a lovely layout to photograph.

Craig Tiley

Talking of layouts in the mag, or rather not in the mag.

I bought a copy today and when I went to look for the layout on the cover inside the mag, it wasn't there. :blink:

Bit of a disappointment that and a bit of a swiz too...

steve

PS Sorry to hear about the loss of your assistant George. :(

Talking of layouts in the mag, or rather not in the mag.

I bought a copy today and when I went to look for the layout on the cover inside the mag, it wasn't there. :blink:

Bit of a disappointment that and a bit of a swiz too...

steve

Hi,

Yes, that layout (can't remember the name) was in, I think, the previous issue of Model Rail (MR154)

I too thought that it was a strange choice of cover image as well!

Simon

The cover image is chosen to relate to the main taster, which in turn relates to part of the magazine content, not necessarily a layout. We try to get away from the old 'traditional' style that says you have to feature the main layout on the cover. The cover needs to be, as much as possible, about the whole magazine. After all, we've had a certain little 'S&D' layout on the cover a number of times but we haven't always had an article about it.

CHRIS LEIGH

The cover image is chosen to relate to the main taster, which in turn relates to part of the magazine content, not necessarily a layout.

In this case was it that becuase it was a diesel loco relating to the extended review of the PHD parts? A diesel loco which, it appears, to have no PHD components!

We try to get away from the old 'traditional' style that says you have to feature the main layout on the cover.

I think the long view combined with the headline over the photo in the bottom corner of "3 Inspirational Read Layouts" does give the impression that the featured layout is part of the issue.

The cover needs to be, as much as possible, about the whole magazine.

Does it need to be so though? MRJ are happy to have just one good photo on the cover and magazines like Railway Bylines often seem fine with the cover image having absolutely no connection with the rest of the magazine whatsoever!

And I notice that you ignored my reply about the class 47 roof details!

• RMweb Premium

Was the St Trinian's Article co-incidental with the APRIL cover date? Gave me a huge smile, whatever :D .

Pen-Y-Bont is not the kind of layout which usually appeals to me, but this one looks wonderful and also showed me the uses of som detail accessories I'd picked up cheap an exhibition last year. The tools and barrow were obvious, but not so the scales etc. Now I Know!

Thanks,

John

In this case was it that becuase it was a diesel loco relating to the extended review of the PHD parts? A diesel loco which, it appears, to have no PHD components!

I think the long view combined with the headline over the photo in the bottom corner of "3 Inspirational Read Layouts" does give the impression that the featured layout is part of the issue.

Does it need to be so though? MRJ are happy to have just one good photo on the cover and magazines like Railway Bylines often seem fine with the cover image having absolutely no connection with the rest of the magazine whatsoever!

And I notice that you ignored my reply about the class 47 roof details!

James.

I think Chris has no obligations to answer posts on this website, particularly as he often tends not to do take part in the forum in an official capacity. When a post comes across as 'dog with a bone' I'd certainly pass it over.

As for the rest of the post, it's only a cover picture FFS. If you buy the magazine off the shelf purely on the basis of one picture then more fool you if the rest of the magazine doesn't suit your taste. Impersonally speaking, of course. Have a look at the contents page.

Yes Jamie, Chris has no obligation but if he engages in direct discussion then wouldn't it be polite to respond to the reply to his message? And by posting threads here it is surely encouraging debate like this?! My comment about the Class 47 Q&A proposed a way that would have been much more helpful than just recommending products.

And the need the 'FFS' in your reply? And it's not easy to browse through magazines when you have a 16 month either getting bored in his pram or trying to 'read' any books or magazines with you! :lol:

James.

I think Chris has no obligations to answer posts on this website, particularly as he often tends not to do take part in the forum in an official capacity. When a post comes across as 'dog with a bone' I'd certainly pass it over.

As for the rest of the post, it's only a cover picture FFS. If you buy the magazine off the shelf purely on the basis of one picture then more fool you if the rest of the magazine doesn't suit your taste. Impersonally speaking, of course. Have a look at the contents page.

Thanks, for the thought. I did write a reply but then scrapped it. MRJ was drawn into the topic and I try not to comment on matters where comparison is drawn with what other titles do. If I did, my comments might look like criticism of a rival publication. We're very different from MRJ, appealing to a different market, and we have a set of different criteria to follow in doing our covers.As to the Class 47 roof thing, I didn't feel I had anything else useful to say on the subject.

CHRIS LEIGH

MRJ was drawn into the topic and I try not to comment on matters where comparison is drawn with what other titles do. If I did, my comments might look like criticism of a rival publication.

That's fair enough!

As to the Class 47 roof thing, I didn't feel I had anything else useful to say on the subject.

It was meant as constructive - a small addition could have increased the scope of the half page hugely.

And it's not easy to browse through magazines when you have a 16 month either getting bored in his pram or trying to 'read' any books or magazines with you! :lol:

Lots of things become more difficult with kids in tow, it's kinda part of the deal. I dont think that should be the prime concern of a magazine editor or designer.

As for the rest of the post, it's only a cover picture FFS. If you buy the magazine off the shelf purely on the basis of one picture then more fool you if the rest of the magazine doesn't suit your taste.

For your information, I did not buy the magazine on the basis of the picture on the cover but on the number of content articles that interested me. It wasn't until some time later, when I was looking at the buildings on the cover and the Sentinel(?) shunter that I realised it wasn't contained within.

In addition, I do not take kindly to your attitude or your assumptions about my purchasing habits.

steve

For your information, [snip]

In addition, I do not take kindly to your attitude or your assumptions about my purchasing habits.

Steve, if you read Jamie's post carefully you'll see it's not you he's quoting or addressing.

Notwithstanding Jamie's evident frustration, I do think this is all getting a bit silly now.

I agree with Pennine MC

it is getting silly, collectively the model rail team put together what has to be about the best general Model Railway magazine about.

And I'm not just saying that just because it has my products in it.

Everyone has a fair point in what they are saying, I'm sure that all the comments will go in the MR note book.

Pete

Lots of things become more difficult with kids in tow, it's kinda part of the deal. I dont think that should be the prime concern of a magazine editor or designer.

I'd be amazed as if it was!

But there must be plenty of people who are short on time during lunch breaks, for example, who may use the cover as a guide.

collectively the model rail team put together what has to be about the best general Model Railway magazine about.

As a general magazine it's pretty good; I do find it a real contrast in some ways though. An article using your class 37s is obviously showing an aim for real improvement and desire for a higher level of detail, but then in the same issue there's the rather 'interesting' article and result of instant rust on an 0 gauge mineral wagon.

But there must be plenty of people who are short on time during lunch breaks, for example, who may use the cover as a guide..

When a post comes across as 'dog with a bone' I'd certainly pass it over.

'Nuff said, methinks.

• RMweb Gold

But there must be plenty of people who are short on time during lunch breaks, for example, who may use the cover as a guide.

Surely the 'Contents' page is a better guide James? The RM usually shows a layout - which is no guide to what else it contains and other mags go through all sorts of ways of showing what they think is important to tehir reader as opposed to everything, including stuff which might interest other folk. So if you're short of time just flick to that page and see the lot.

I have to agree that I found the front cover a little misleading. I've not brought MR before and whilst I quite enjoyed it, and may well buy it again it didn't really contain what I thought it might. I thought the cover pic hinted at a BR blue industrial layout which looked fab and I thought the diesel detailing might be a more general article about those little details rather than about one specific product. Also I thought the signal box article would be more about the prototype and help me model the correct one for my region/era

plenty of people do judge a book by it's cover and whilst I may buy it again I suspect some will have been put off. Maybe it's just me but I kind of expect the cover pic to relate to one of the articles

MR drops through my letter box every month and I am usually not disappointed.

I do think we are very lucky to have this open dialogue with Chis having followed his magazine articals from MRC days and also own many of his books, no doubt partly due to my railway interests mirroring his own.

The article on derelict stations and railways is good and I like the way that Chris's snaps from the 70s look as if they are just dropped onto the page, a style which has been used before and works well, but I can't seam to find a caption for the picture at the bottom of page 49 which looks to be of a contractors diesel shunter on a demolition train.

Geoff.

The article on derelict stations and railways is good and I like the way that Chris's snaps from the 70s look as if they are just dropped onto the page, a style which has been used before and works well, but I can't seam to find a caption for the picture at the bottom of page 49 which looks to be of a contractors diesel shunter on a demolition train.

Geoff.

Ooops! Yes, somewhere the caption went astray. THe station is Neen Sollars on the Bewdley-Wooferton line that branches off the Severn Valley just outside Bridgnorth. The contractors loco was on track-lifting duty but it was a weekend and nothing was happening. The Bewdley-Tenbury Wells service ended in August 1962 and, although I didn't record the date, I reckon it was taken in summer 1964 or 1965.

CHRIS LEIGH

Archived