Rust in peace

Modelling the seasons

Signalbox Supertest

FREE signalbox kit

Marske layout

Project Sentinel Ordering Details

Motorising Efe's Underground stock

Tale of St Trinians

All the regulars including George's Diary and Backscene.

Please note

I have only recently started to buy Model Rail and so don't fully understand its distribution. Issue 155 is listed here but in Whitby and Smiths in Middlesbrough yesterday issue 154 has just appeared in quantity, is the mag issued on a paricular day each month?

Hi,

This issue is on sale March 24th, but subscribers will get it earlier, so Chris put's up the contents list just to wet our appetite!

By the way, 'Hythe Parkway' will not be appearing in MR 155 as pervious advertised in MR 154.

Simon

• RMweb Gold

I have only recently started to buy Model Rail and so don't fully understand its distribution. Issue 155 is listed here but in Whitby and Smiths in Middlesbrough yesterday issue 154 has just appeared in quantity, is the mag issued on a paricular day each month?

Actually, the magazine is issued every four weeks--not monthly--on a Thursday. Which Thursday of the month it will be varies over the year; there are 13 issues a year, not twelve.

Evening.

I have read over Model Rail 155 3 times now and I am almost certain i cannot find the new announcement of Model Rails new limited edition model, promise to be from a new supplier on their Facebookie thingy feed?

Am i going mad, or is it hidden in the small print somewhere?

Chris,

some constructive feedback from a subscriber who has most issus back to #1 on the shelf ( i know you are not the ed any more but assume you can pass it on). This issue is good BUT the actual contents of the mag do not meet what it says on the cover I'm afraid and if i bought this issue on this basis the i would feel i had been conned! the article on signalboxes does review available products but does not allow me to "choose the right signal box for your era and region" and i would say the main grabber "detail matters - quick and easy ways to enhance your diesel fleet" leading to what is effectively an extended review of PHD's (excellent) products is somewhat disappointing. Please take this feedback as intended to be constructive - your mag is consistently good and you don't need to oversell on the front cover and not deliver inside - i would imagine this could turn off any occasional buyer who bought on the basis of the cover...

M

and i would say the main grabber "detail matters - quick and easy ways to enhance your diesel fleet" leading to what is effectively an extended review of PHD's (excellent) products is somewhat disappointing.

It's no worse than when in a previous issue there was a question about class 47 boiler ports and how to model them. The reply included diagrams which showed no detail or dimensions and a long winded response of, essentially, buy S Kits parts!

Nothing wrong with recommending parts but with enough detail some of the variations could easily be modelled using plastikard.

Chris,

some constructive feedback from a subscriber who has most issus back to #1 on the shelf ( i know you are not the ed any more but assume you can pass it on). This issue is good BUT the actual contents of the mag do not meet what it says on the cover I'm afraid and if i bought this issue on this basis the i would feel i had been conned! the article on signalboxes does review available products but does not allow me to "choose the right signal box for your era and region" and i would say the main grabber "detail matters - quick and easy ways to enhance your diesel fleet" leading to what is effectively an extended review of PHD's (excellent) products is somewhat disappointing. Please take this feedback as intended to be constructive - your mag is consistently good and you don't need to oversell on the front cover and not deliver inside - i would imagine this could turn off any occasional buyer who bought on the basis of the cover...

M

I will copy this and pass on, although the guys all look here fairly frequently - they just leave it to me to do the postings while they look after Twitter/website etc.

CHRIS LEIGH

Nothing wrong with recommending parts but with enough detail some of the variations could easily be modelled using plastikard.

With respect, that's true of virtually EVERY conversion ever undertaken! When I started in this business there was only Plastikard (and Alan Williams' articles) and if you wanted to improve something you had to make the new bits yourself. Today, that isn't necessary and one aspect of Model Rail's many roles is to promote products, particularly those of smaller manufacturers.It's about growing the hobby in every way.

CHRIS LEIGH

Thanks for your reply Chris but you could have explained about the S Kits items and provided better drawings with dimensions and left the choice up to the reader thus promoting the smaller manufacturers products and encouraging people to be resourceful. Depending on the model being used it may have been easier to use plastikard to modify the existing arrangement where as others the new etched parts would be ideal.

It was the gesture of a drawing which annoyed me as I was modifying my own class 47 when the magazine came out - good drawings would have saved me a bit of time but I did a bit of digging and found a few photos and completed the job using 5 thou Evergreen sheet with Geoff Kent style bolt heads. For the plated over arrangement this was a perfect way to do it so I wonder if this approach could have been supported too?

Just to add I like S Kits' products, they are of a very good quality but it was the approach to it all which seemed lacking.

As I have not been able to find a copy yet and am unlikely to have another chance before Wednesday, can someone help me with information on one article? Does the Tale of St Trinians relate to the filming at Longmoor in 1965?

Many thanks,

Tony

• RMweb Gold

As I have not been able to find a copy yet and am unlikely to have another chance before Wednesday, can someone help me with information on one article? Does the Tale of St Trinians relate to the filming at Longmoor in 1965?

No Tony its about an O gauge Schools and coaches done as a tribute to St Trinians with the girls crewing it.

Archived