Stubby's Micro Layout - Polbraze - Heading for Taunton

Stubby47

• RMweb Premium

I've just trawled the first 10 or so pages of Woolworths images on Google, and can only find two examples of triangular door handles, despite them being such a memorable item. There are lots of other designs of handle, some doors without any at all, but it's strange how few there are compared to my memory...

It is funny how your memory plays tricks on you. I could have sworn both the Bolton & Farnworth Woolworths had those triangular door handles, yet (post closure) photos clearly show they didn't! Could I suggest that these 'art deco' style handles are from an earlier era (possibly 1930's?), and that as the stores were modernised (1970's/80's) they probably lost them, yet the old style handles may still have been around in the early 1970's - which I why I remember them?

Regards

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Truro store, rear entrance, still had them at closure, as did the sea front entrance at the St Ives branch.

But to me they are a part of the deign, and I only left them off as research seemed to show they were not as common as I thought.

Truro store, rear entrance, still had them at closure, as did the sea front entrance at the St Ives branch.

But to me they are a part of the deign, and I only left them off as research seemed to show they were not as common as I thought.

Hi Stu, don't know if you'll find anything here useful http://www.woolworthsreunited.com/Gallery.html

Nigel

Stubby47,

Late to this party. Was surfing RMWeb this morning and landed here. I'm totally fascinated with what you're doing with your box, or the inside of it :D Magic stuff man, I'll be following this thread with great interest. In a special kind of way this is inspirational, keep up the good work.

Cheers, Tony Sissons

• RMweb Gold

Nigel, thanks for the link, some useful stuff there.

Penlan, this shop is for the 1970's era version of Polbraze, so blue diesels will abound. I'll be building a second set of shops for the earlier steam version. They will be on a removeable sub baseboard, the edge of which will be hidden behind the wall.

Tony, gosh, thanks. I'm just trying to have fun, but maybe stretch the usual ideas behind layouts (though I see a certain Mr York is also building an 'L' shaped harbour layout AND taking it to Taunton next year).

Stu

• RMweb Gold

This is the row of 1970's era shops on the sub-baseboard. The backscene has been kept low to allow me to add a townscape behind the models, on the sub-board, then have a plain backscene on the layout proper.

post-7025-128058721314_thumb.jpg

The 1950's steam era board will have a similar eclectic collection of buildings, possibly including this one from the Quay at Padstow.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Peter,

If you mean the white Builder's Merchant building , that will be done as part of Polbraze, the paintwork needs quite a bit of tidying and the windows completing, then the whole row needs putting together as one scene.

If you mean the large stone-built facade, I'm not happy with what I've done, so might scrap it and start again. The stones I've used are from the Slaters plasticard sheet, cut indiviually (not very well in some cases) and the left hand archway is awful. But what I've learnt about how to do it, and what I can use to 'cheat' a bit more, will mean Mk2 is a whole lot better.

The left hand end of the road / shops on the upper level will have a turret-like bulge to the wall, where the wall then turns into the back scene. This will be made into a small war memorial, with a suitable obelisk. I also intend to add some poppy wreaths, setting the layout in late November, so all the population will be in coats / hats, there will be puddles and grey sky backscenes, and anything else I can do to subtly convince the viewer of the time of year.

Stu

I meant the building with raised lettering - brilliant.

How about urchins throwing fireworks as another indicator of year?

My method of creating 'stones' is to use a diamond pointed cutter in a Dremel and 2mm Plasticard.

Takes some practice and one's fingers eventually fall off but it works.

Don't try this at home.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Marc, as always, your comments are appreciated.

Jack, don't listen to them, there's years left in the old place yet !

Never one to sit still for long (especially when there is a deadline looming !), I've made a start on the last building for this set of the Polbraze township. This is from a design by ( I believe ) none other than Mr John Ahern himself. Currently another member on here, Chubber, is building this in card and Scalcescenes paper - me being me, I decided to copy it exactly and build it a different size in plasticard.

So here are the first two shots.

post-7025-063355400 1285370209_thumb.jpg

post-7025-020433100 1285370234_thumb.jpg

Archived