Peco goods shed

Hi all

I have a Peco goods shed kit already built up http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=PELK-82&style=&strType=&Mcode=Peco LK-82

I would like to incorporate this into my new layout project set from 1980-1984 and have a few questions regarding the Peco kit.

Is it based on a real prototype? did any survive and last in use until the early 80's? were any ever located in Scotland?

kind regards

Dave

• RMweb Gold

I think the point is not so much whether the structure would have lasted into the '80s, but whether the business did. In the '50s BR was still handling lots of wagonload and less-than-wagonload traffic at general goods depots like this (well, actually most were a lot older in design but the principle was the same). By the '80s the road haulage industry had seen off most of that business, and freight was typically blockloads or wagonloads running between business premises, rather than railway goods depots.

Looking on the Old-Maps site, the goods shed and the siding that the vans are on don't appear on a 1970 map, although the signal box is marked (the signal box can be seen in the background of the Science & Socity photo as can the station platform canopy). I used to commute through Potters Bar 1973 to 1975 and I can't remember it being there. It therefore doesn't appear to have had a very long life!

As to the reason it was built, Potters Bar was completely rebuilt in 1955 (as part of the 4 track widening of the ECML through here and the 3 tunnels further south). There was previously a goods shed on the down side which would have been demolished to make way for the new station. No doubt the new goods shed on the up side was added to replace the old one, Beeching being some way off. Potters Bar was an expanding town at the time.

Dave, I have no idea if any others were built to this design.

Mark

Unless you are modelling a site that was rebuilt in postwar period, I think it's most unlikely that such a building would appear in the Scottish region. They would either be using existing, but possibly modified buildings, or as already been said, not dealing with good services after the 70's.

I think the point is not so much whether the structure would have lasted into the '80s, but whether the business did. In the '50s BR was still handling lots of wagonload and less-than-wagonload traffic at general goods depots like this (well, actually most were a lot older in design but the principle was the same). By the '80s the road haulage industry had seen off most of that business, and freight was typically blockloads or wagonloads running between business premises, rather than railway goods depots.

Also, in the 80's were shipping containers and in-land ports not on the increase?

there was a fantastic documentary on the development of the shipping container on the BBC iplayer site a short while ago.

• RMweb Gold

Also, in the 80's were shipping containers and in-land ports not on the increase?

Quite true, but the railway was and is acting as a kind of "long-haul lorry" in moving containers between major terminals. The railway usually has no role in the filling or emptying of containers, in contrast to the OP's facility, where boxes, barrels and what-have-you would be moved into and out of railway wagons by railway staff.

sorry I posted in a rush and missed out my main point!

in the 80's containers and in-land ports were on the increase and so began the decline of local goods shed and the increase of marshalling yards in their place.

so you may find some small goods off loading depots in remote places, but i don't know for sure as I remember little of the 80's

Archived