Model Shop Hull city centre to close

birdseyecircus

The Hull Daily Mail reports that 'The Model Shop' in Ferensway Hull City centre is to close in April

This small shop was a mass of Military Kits,RC and Hornby & Bachmann.

I will always remember it for the fantasic military model dioramas in the window in the 80's & 90's.

Always sad when a long established shop closes.

Paul

That is sad news indeed.

I was a regular in that shop for most of my teenage years and bought some of my RC stuff from there as an adult.

I remember a few years ago hearing the old chap was retiring and it was being taken over by either his daughter or grandaughter. I may be wrong on both counts, but that's what I remember.

I suppose having a Model Zone smack in the middle of the new CBD doesn't help matters at all.

Such a shame. It will be missed.

Dan

That's sad news, I reckon there will still be my nose print etched in the windows of that shop from the early 60's!

As mentioned the window display was always full of superbly executed mini dioramas along a military theme.

Spent a few bob in there.

Kevin

As I pass there twice a day most days I can say there has been very little in the window for some time. Also you would not want to be confused and get caught looking in the windows of the neighbouring shops.unsure.gifohmy.gif

You might odd looks if people think you're into trains though! ;)

I was in Hull last week visiting family and went into the shop for the first time in a number of years. I was very disappointed as it was nothing like I remembered.

Sad to here it is closing but I don't think it will be missed by many.

Andrew

I remember the cabinet in the centre being full of Mamod and Wilesco steam engines - very impressive when you're only ten years old!

It is a shame to see another model shop close but the city centre now has ModelZone which will, no doubt, attract the casual, non-hobby (parents, grandparents, etc.) buyers with its prime location in St Stephen's, and with 53A a few minutes away I'm surprised iit has lasted as long as it has.

But no use for the motorist who drives past! And from the outside it has always, in my memory, looked a little run down. This can't have helped when Modelzone and Hobbycraft are new, light and airy shops. I know this doesn't necessarily affect what's inside but for the passer by it must make a difference.

For local modellers we still have 53a Models which, IMHO, is much better for railway products.

• RMweb Premium

Its a shame its closing, last of the once many in the City centre, bought my first Wrenn loco there way back in the 1970's. The original owner was a bit of a dour chap, reckon it must be one of the few shops left in the centre that hasnt changed over the years.

Ones I remember in the city center were :-

Dugglebys in the Bus Station

Sportcraft on Prospect Street

The Model Shop on Ferensway

Hobbies on Saville Street

Further out were

Dugglebys opposite Botanic Gardens Station

Suttons on Newland Avenue

Holderness Model Railways ? on Berkshire Street

Time for a trip to 53A me thinks.....!!

Regards

Simon

Having visited the shop in the last week, I was actually going to post on here asking if the shop was to close. The shelves were empty, the display cabinets sparsely populated......I've just had my suspicions confirmed.

Its a shame to see a shop close but agree that the arrival of Modelzone won't have helped.

I'm intrigued by this talk of 53A models though. Is it walkable from the station ? Having had my finger burnt by Google Maps on an Android phone whilst looking for Maplins in Hull (sent me out past The Deep......), can any local please advise the quickest route on foot ?

I'm intrigued by this talk of 53A models though. Is it walkable from the station ? ... can any local please advise the quickest route on foot ?

It is walkable, yes, but it's a good mile and a half, maybe a bit more. Worthwhile though if you've not been before, it is as James suggests very much a 'railway' shop. And there are buses.

Come out of Paragon by the south entrance onto Anlaby Road, continue west past the Infirmary complex to a crossroads with traffic lights, then head south down Rawling Way until you see a large flyover smack in front of you. Head right (west) there and that's Hessle Road - 53A is at no 430, on the r/h side as you walk out of town (there are other routes between Anlaby and Hessle Roads, but you're more likely to get lost following them). The whole of Hessle Road is actually a surprisingly vibrant shopping area by today's standards.

Popped into Model Shop yesterday to have a quick word with Alan, it's surprisingly nearly five years since he and Nigel took over from John Morgan but obviously with the way things are, they have their reasons for not continuing.

As Simon says, John could be a tad dour but was a gent nonetheless; I always remember the way he'd courteously ask if you wanted your RM wrapping (rolled in brown paper). I actually remember the previous shop, at the back of Burtons on the Whitefriargate/Alfred Gelder Street corner - now that *was* smallblink.gif

Thank you - a "brisk walk" it is then.

I gathered that of the current owners, one was a bus man (commuting from Leeds?) and the other the train man. Whenever I went in I seemed to get the bus man only sad.gif

I guess that its the economic climate/competition that closed it down, as the two chaps don't seem to be near retirement age.

PS I just noticed I got your 2000th post. Do I win £5 biggrin.gif

I suspect that locally 53a has a rather loyal customer base which must be a huge advantage in the current climate - I'd rather buy any new RTR from John than mail order. Plus it's a nice experience browsing in a propoer model railway shop :)

I suspect that locally 53a has a rather loyal customer base which must be a huge advantage in the current climate - I'd rather buy any new RTR from John than mail order.

I'd agree, 53a's discounts are quite reasonable considering the stock he holds and taking the recent Bachy LNER wagons as an example, they've appeared in there much the same time as they've broken cover on here. He does have a healthy mail order base as well, including some quite well known people (in RMweb terms)wink.gif

PS I just noticed I got your 2000th post. Do I win £5 biggrin.gif

Andy's in charge of the prize budgetbiggrin.gif

• RMweb Premium

As Simon says, John could be a tad dour but was a gent nonetheless; I always remember the way he'd courteously ask if you wanted your RM wrapping (rolled in brown paper). I actually remember the previous shop, at the back of Burtons on the Whitefriargate/Alfred Gelder Street corner - now that *was* smallblink.gif

As you say Ian he was a gent, reminded me of one of my Geography teachers always had a sports jacket on and buttoned up !! Forgot about the wrapped RM, was a good test of patience if you could get home without unwrapping it. Likewise the previous shop it was indeed very small. Used to look in there after seeing what new trawlers were fitting out in Princess Dock.

There was a nice article about the shop in yesterdays (26th) Yorkshire Post.

Simon

[

If you can remember Dugglebys in the bus station and Princes Avenue corner, like me you must be knocking on a bit. I worked for Mr Duggelby from January 1966 to February 1969 practicaly all the time at Princes Avenue. I have many happy memories and he paid well, I was on ten quid a week in 1968, mega money way back then.

The "Model Shop" Fernsway is a bit of a time warp and never moved on from the '30's, "Miss Brymes and Young Mister Grace". Mick Nicholson.

post-702-0-38350800-1301266499_thumb.jpg

[

If you can remember Dugglebys in the bus station and Princes Avenue corner, like me you must be knocking on a bit. I worked for Mr Duggelby from January 1966 to February 1969 practicaly all the time at Princes Avenue. I have many happy memories and he paid well, I was on ten quid a week in 1968, mega money way back then.

The "Model Shop" Fernsway is a bit of a time warp and never moved on from the '30's, "Miss Brymes and Young Mister Grace". Mick Nicholson.

• RMweb Premium

[

Afraid we are knocking on a bit Mick :rolleyes: , even more worrying is that I can remember catching a train at Botanic for Hornsea and Withersea, and riding on Trollybuses on the Chants Ave route.

Think this could become a nostalgic Hull thread ....

Regards

Simon

Afraid we are knocking on a bit Mick :rolleyes: , even more worrying is that I can remember catching a train at Botanic for Hornsea and Withersea, and riding on Trollybuses on the Chants Ave route.

Think this could become a nostalgic Hull thread ....

Regards

Simon

Yes, we are all knocking on a bit 63 this December coming, but pleased to say I don't feel it. I too remember Trolley Buses and catching trains at Botanic. Things have gone full circle and I now on a daily basis put trains on and off Botanic shed. Best Wishes, Mick.

Archived