Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Eastwood Town - A tribute to Gordon's modelling.

gordon s

Twas lovely out on the course this morning bar 2 mins when it felt like a lake turned it self upside down. Just had to aim some what left or right when it was a cross wind.

With the stairs, what's the head room that will be left as you come up? Will we be seeing picture of a plasters on your head or is there more room that it looks?

In actual fact this new layout has raised the boards above floor level and in doing so increased the headroom even further.  The front edge of the stairwell board sits right above the front edge of one of the stairs.  Clearance there is 6'6", but because you are moving either up or down the headroom is probably over 7' from the next stair down.  I'm 6'3" and there is no chance of me hitting my head.

Thanks Andy.  ET feels like a major civil engineering task at times.  I have no idea how others, including your goodself seem to magic a new layout in a few days….:-)

• Like 5

All dressed and ready to go to golf this morning, but it was not to be.  Torrential rain last night just added to the already high water table and now fairways and greens are waterlogged.  Provided there is no more serious rain for a day or two we should be back in play by the weekend.  Thankfully my other hobby has managed to fill a few hours and carpentry was back on the agenda.

Stairwell frame was completed and I then had a doh! moment.  I had always envisaged the joins between the three boards to take place outside the stairwell itself, so as to maximise the support over the join each side.  Once the boards were completed and joined together, I suddenly realised I had two turnouts right over the join.  Thinking back this was probably as a result of adding the bay platforms and sliding turnouts around the curved approach tracks and then continuing to use an earlier overall plan to construct the baseboards.

post-6950-0-66880000-1421325702_thumb.jpg

Choices were to remove the bay platforms, which was a non starter as I think they add some operational interest or rejig the baseboards.  This meant shortening the stairwell board by around 300mm and adding that to the station board.  This will allow the pointwork to be laid away from the join and won't mean wrecking everything if ever I had to take the whole thing apart.  I've had to do that a few times before, hence my paranoia about turnouts over board joins.  I have some concern regards the board join being unsupported and the possibility of sagging at the join itself.  This new board section is cantilevered out over the stairs and I may well need to add a batten to the stairway wall to provide addition support underneath the two boards.

Adding the board is the easy bit, but it brings into play another problem in as much the board will now be too wide to slide behind the stair finial.  It will now mean removing the legs from the board and then lifting the board over the finial to get it into position.  Once in position the legs can be refitted and all should be well.  This room really is a pig to deal with and trying to move sections around really is akin to a Rubiks Cube at times.

Still the deed is done, the cork underlay down and tomorrow might just see the first preliminary attempt of laying track in position prior to wiring, painting and ballasting.

post-6950-0-12925000-1421325705_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-15456600-1421325704_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Afternoon Gordon, sorry I just did a LIKE but changed it to F/S, your having a right Mare at this end and I feel for you, I have one point over a board join but its almost strait and seems O.K. so far but with all that curved track and the Points I think you've done the best solution to the problem.

Good luck and please keep the pics coming.

• Like 1

Gordon,

You deserve a great big thank you from anyone following your thread - the skill you apply to problem solving is a lesson to us all and many lesser mortals would have given up by now! It truly is good of you to share everything, 'warts and all' with us!

Sorry that the weather has been against you as far as your other pursuit is concerned but golfing's loss is certainly our gain!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon fellow modellers/followers….A week of golfing in the frost one morning and muddy, wet conditions the next, so no real idea what the weather is up to.  In between the decent walks in the country, I've managed to get some more track down and complete the track joins between these two boards.

Only time will tell if this is strong enough, but unlike an exhibition layout, the only real time that ET will need to be taken down is in the unlikely case of moving house.  C & L alignment dowels have been used in 12mm ply end cheeks and then the track laid right over the join.  Four sleepers were removed and replaced by pcb sleepers and soldered to the rail.  Once all the joints had been completed, I dripped superglue by the sleepers and allowed capillary action to take it under the sleeper and hold it firmly in position.  I learned the hard way that superglue and the heat from a soldering iron do not mix and the fumes they give off are horrendous and possibly dangerous, so always use glue after soldering.

Once everything is fixed in place a quick cut with a slitting disc and that's it, job done.

attachicon.gifDSCF7250.jpg

Other than that, the platform tracks are now down and ET is starting to take shape.  Apologies for the beat up MK1's and the Hornby N2 that seem to appear in most shots.  Everything else is still packed away.  I do have a few more loco's etc and they will make guest appearances and the build goes on…:-)

attachicon.gifDSCF7234.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF7235.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF7252.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF7255.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF7251.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF7249.jpg

Really strange but I feel very happy looking at that collection of photo's.

Hi Gordon,

I've been meaning to check out your recent progress for ages; finally got around to it. :blush: 

I'm so glad you have taken all your space to a total advantage. I always thought the Peterborough buildings looked sheer class. I'm glad they've found a worthy home.

As everyone's saying: as soon as you can, run some trains! ;)

Following!

Hal.

Just caught up, hence all the "likes".  Amazing stuff, looking forward to seeing more progress.

Regards,

Brian.

PS  Just a thought.  To hurry things along, why not give up the golf which I've heard is "a good walk ruined"  :)  :) and spend more time on this fantastic project.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

PS  Just a thought.  To hurry things along, why not give up the golf which I've heard is "a good walk ruined"  :)  :) and spend more time on this fantastic project.

Agreed - never could see the point in losing a ball down a hole :no: . And not just once, but eighteen times. C'mon now Gordon, think of our health - waiting for all these updates can't be good for our health... :cry:

polybear

• Like 1

Its all made up by walking into the clubhouse with a winning card, and leaving with a piece of silverware or cut glass, and until you get the bar bill seeing your ball disappear down a hole after hitting your tee shot.

Nothing like taking a nip out of a flask on a cold and frosty morning, or that first pint after a round on a very hot day.

As they say old golfers never die their balls just fade away :sungum:

A good walk ruined is climbing up a mountain and finding no pub at the top 

Of course, you can have both.  Up early this morning to tee off at 08.22.  Completed the round at 12.10 and into the clubhouse to partake of a beer or two.  Back home at 1pm for a quick bite of lunch and been working on ET all afternoon, so a further update may yet happen this week.  

This is all new territory for me.  A complete set of boards including gradients and track being laid as we speak.  

Anyone going to start a sweep when the first train will run?

Forget about days or weeks, the year and then the month would be a good start... :biggrin_mini2:

By the way, I'm staggered to have 298 followers.  

I did read somewhere on RMweb that someone got really bored if all they read about was a bit of track being laid for 12 months….

No staying power, some people.

You guys have been reading about it for over 5 years……. :O

• Like 16