Model Rail 156 - NEW LOOK

dibber25

• RMweb Gold

The people who run subscription mailing services on behalf of magazines don't always view the world as you and I might. My recently-discontinued subscription to a leading US magazine used to regularly arrive with clear indications it had travelled far and wide. Milwaukee to France - via New Zealand, every month? Err, ok.....

Ah, so it wasn't just the way UK subscribers got it thenblink.gif Mine often used to arrive opened and I'm beginning to think that the same might be happening with my copy of MR 156 as even the bunting Mrs Stationmaster ordered yesterday has arrived but MR has still failed to appear - wonder if 'he' will keep the re-railer?

The people who run subscription mailing services on behalf of magazines don't always view the world as you and I might. My recently-discontinued subscription to a leading US magazine used to regularly arrive with clear indications it had travelled far and wide. Milwaukee to France - via New Zealand, every month? Err, ok.....

Yes, cheaper overseas mailing by folk other than Royal Mail is, I think, the usual reason. I recall dealing with subs queries from Australian readers and following a delivery trail via - if I recall correctly - several European countries. Like I said, though, its not something we have any control over.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

I'm in Portugal, so my subscription copy comes by one of the international mailers. Over the years I've seen postal services of Malta, New Zealand, Sweden and Deutsche Post on the plastic cover, to name those I remember. Some have been better than others but all have been very inconsistent, which is perhaps more annoying because you have no idea if a particular issue has gone missing. It's much better now however (even if some issues still take a few days and others a couple of weeks) Before Portugal I was in Brussels and yet the time it took was just as long/erratic.

On other hand, my son's National Geographic Kids magazine takes about four weeks (!) and Todays Railways (Europe) rarely more than a week, both with different postal services to Model Rail.

All are delivered here by CTT (Portugese public sector postal service), which is pretty good in general.

Surely they don't necessarily go via the country of the international mailer, so wonder if the time it takes is in part down to their relationship with the delivery country's service provider?

Anyway Chris, it pretty good now so please don't change mailer for now at least!

My copy finally arrived today and proved to be worth the wait. The coverage of Torrington is deservedly excellent and I congratulate Chris Nevard on his photography.

The paper on which it is printed is still disappointing though. Flimsy is one word which comes to mind. However, nothing could be as bad as the strawboard which [dis]graced some issues of the old Constructor in the 1960s!

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Mine also arrived today - complete with re-railing ramp - and it is well worth the inordinate wait (which I'm sure isn't MR's fault - least of all the editorial team'swink.gif) and it has still beaten local branches of Smith's. Anyway enough of Royal Mail's efforts and on to the mag itself - a nice revamp which hasn't lost anything it shouldn't have lost and in my view has gained something in presentational style - its easy on the eye and attractive. The content is another matter as I'm not sure if every future issue is going to be able to live up to this excellent diversity of subject matter and high standard of textual content/presentation/modelling interest but if it does then it's going to be a good 'un as it's definitely something more than a revamp for the sake of keeping the design team employed. Well done the 'Model Rail' - looks like my subscription is safe in your hands.biggrin.gif

PS It's long time since I stayed in one (42 years + a week or two) but I'm sure the Pullman camping coaches at Morar did not have 'Pullman' above the windows and some pics I have found of them on the 'net don't show it either. Did the 'Pullman' wording exist on other examples?

PS It's long time since I stayed in one (42 years + a week or two) but I'm sure the Pullman camping coaches at Morar did not have 'Pullman' above the windows and some pics I have found of them on the 'net don't show it either. Did the 'Pullman' wording exist on other examples?

I did say in the caption to the model that the lettering is 'representative'. There are no decals for the Pullman Holiday Coaches so I had to make the best of what I could find. I guess, on the real thing, it would have depended on whether or not the coach was still owned by the Pullman car company.

CHRIS LEIGH

The content is another matter as I'm not sure if every future issue is going to be able to live up to this excellent diversity of subject matter and high standard of textual content/presentation/modelling interest but if it does then it's going to be a good 'un as it's definitely something more than a revamp for the sake of keeping the design team employed. Well done the 'Model Rail' - looks like my subscription is safe in your hands.biggrin.gif[/i]

Thanks for the kind comments. A redesign of this nature is big job and involves more than just the design team. In fact, it is editorially led and a designer from one of the non-railway mags in the group led the design aspect. As to content, well, we had meeting yesterday and we know what's going into every issue until well into next year. It will keep all of us busy!

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

Will that be a 2011 Challenge to be finished in 2011

Whaaat???? I'm still working on the first RMweb challenge!!

How about an article on exceptionally slow modelling? :rolleyes:

Ralph

Lambton58

Copy arrived through door today, most impressed with the new format.

I was very interested in the Masterplan once I finished scanning the pics of it as the remains of the High Dkye Branch is only 200yards from my parent's house and when visiting we used to walk the dog along the old trackbed; in fact the road in the foreground of the class 31 pic hasn't improved since that pic was taken :lol: .

Kev

• RMweb Gold

I was very interested in the Masterplan once I finished scanning the pics of it as the remains of the High Dkye Branch is only 200yards from my parent's house and when visiting we used to walk the dog along the old trackbed; in fact the road in the foreground of the class 31 pic hasn't improved since that pic was taken :lol: .

Kev

Hi Kevin,

The photos in the article were mine and my late Dads, if you want to look at more photos of the branch there are 3 sets (over 200 images) on my flickr site at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidwf2009/

Use that link, then open "Daves East Midlands and LIncs..." (half way down on the right of the page). The ones in the article are in the sets there as well.

My parents used to live in Buckminster and Dad worked for the Estate at one time.

David

picked it up yesterday, looks good

I like the layout and it appears cleaner and more well presented in my opinion

The opening full page spread pics of layout is a nice idea and the teaser of next months layout too

In regards the review the green up arrow and red down I think probably may not leave enough space at times for full comments perhaps...

The only downside I noticed were a fair few of spelling and detail mistakes (price instead of date and so forth) but given the pressure to launch an entirely new format I can understand minor stuff like that slipping through.

Overall a change for the better, well done all involved

PS - any indication when a review of the new MM 201 is likely?

PPS - the review of Lion was very good, setting yourselves a high standard to continue to meet there. I 100% agree with the perceived plasticy look of the bogies, it really stands out even in printed photos. It look awful compared to the rest of the loco

picked it up yesterday, looks good

The only downside I noticed were a fair few of spelling and detail mistakes (price instead of date and so forth) but given the pressure to launch an entirely new format I can understand minor stuff like that slipping through.

Kev

A little slip up with the Masterplan track plan (which as it comprises Hornby track sections I assume is aimed at beginners) - a return loop without isolating sections? :(

Still digesting the contents, but Torrington is superb.

Torrington - very nice and excellent photos - but to be brutally honest very similar to many other nice layouts. Within the pages of MR 156 there is a plan using set track and an article on fitting an etched brass sprung replacement pony truck to a Bachmann V2 - quite a dichotomy there in experience and expertise levels. All magazines will be a compromise unless serving a discrete niche I do understand but I'm not sure we need 3 or 4 magazines all trying to serve the same market - that is to say everybody not served by MRJ, featuring the same layouts and reviewing the same models and often the same adverts too. I say 3 or 4 because I have not bought BRM for a long time - I refuse to buy model railway magazines inside sealed plastic bags. (My choice - but I cannot afford to buy magazines on spec - I like to inspect goods before I buy them - and most can be picked up secondhand at shows and railways for a few pence later anyway.) So this is not meant as a negative comment on the revised MR because it is very nicely presented and so forth but just a questioning one because I can't see myself buying it that often in the future.

RichardS

• RMweb Gold

Torrington - very nice and excellent photos - but to be brutally honest very similar to many other nice layouts.

Well, yes, but all layouts built to a certain standard, and depicting a certain prototype/period are going to be similar on quite a lot of

levels, aren't they? I'm not sure if their builders would thank me for saying so, but Treneglos, St Merryn and a couple of others I

can think of (Penhallick?) are all basically similar looking, since - with allowance for varying track standards - they're built well

and depict Cornwall/Devon in the 50s/60s. I'm not surprised that Darren's layout looks similar to some others, but that's only because

it's an excellent entry in a particular genre.

[Edited - didn't remember Torrington was Devon, not Cornwall!]

I subscribe to MRJ and flick through most of the others in Smiffs.

I bought this issue.

Now coming from me that is high praise indeed. :D

Not for any one article in particular but just thought that it contains enough interesting material to pass a pleasant couple of hours. The coupling on the loco on the cover? Should it have an extra link?

Bernard

Pennine MC - you don't seem to like my posts very much do you? Apologies I was not aware of rule 9 but I was not attempting an effect merely explaining why I couldn't comment on the content of BRM. I think I made the point that Torrington is a very nice layout but the fact that its builder is a contributor to the forum is neither here nor there. Anybody who presents a layout for public inspection whether at an exhibition or in a mag must expect both favorable and unfavorable comparisons. The latter under the unforgiving gaze of the camera lens is even more of a risk. Even in this dangerous environment Torrington remains a very nice layout. But I don't expect to see iffy layouts in the mags anyway. Stating that it is very similar to many others is actually an observation on the launch of the revised MR mag rather than any criticism of the layout itself. Apart from some cosmetic changes and some sectioning of articles it isn't really that different - is it? Be honest. All the spin about opinions and surveys is just that - spin. If it hadn't been mentioned how many people would have noticed the changes I wonder? I suspect that most would notice a few things but think little of them.

Regarding the comments regarding the homogenous model railway. Agreed the different genre will always have similarities. But shouldn't we be looking for some greater innovation and shouldn't the mags be leading on this? Perhaps not enough was made of the layout being Darren's first which involved scratch built buildings and so forth. But that brings the debate to a personal level whereas my post concerned the concept of the revised magazine rather than individual contributions.

The risk of all 4 magazines competing is that more than 1 will fail. Who dares wins. My income is reducing by nearly 25% this month. That means severe cuts to expenditure and hobbies will be first. I will be spending my money on magazines very carefully from now on. They will need to be special to justify my purchase.

RichardS

A little slip up with the Masterplan track plan (which as it comprises Hornby track sections I assume is aimed at beginners) - a return loop without isolating sections? :(

It can be worked without isolating sections as the loop returns to the other line on a double track section and provided the crossovers are not set to crossover no shorts will occur, although a "beginner" may not realise that.

Got my copy yesterday from my local newsagent as usual.I'm not sure whether we qualify as overseas (ROI) but the rerailer was included.Excellent front cover and the Big Picture 2 continued the good first impressions.I could be a bit biased however beecause I was chuffed to see my layout Newgate made it into the Show & Tell section!

Keep up the good work Chris!

Pennine MC - you don't seem to like my posts very much do you?

Hmm, not too sure where you get that from but I can see what you're trying to achieve. I don't recall disagreeing with you before, but if I want to, I will.

[Remainder of post deleted, this 'debate' is just not important enough to me]

I'd like to bring this back to the (magazine) issue in question rather than perpetuate a line of argument. It's had a facelift and (I think) looks better for it with clearer presentation. Nowhere did I see any promises about revolution and ground-breaking initiatives, MR sought feedback to guide their changes (as a subscriber I had an invitation to give feedback) and I think it's silly to refer to that as 'spin'.

However I don't want to stand back and leave the distraction un-addressed. Bringing 'Torrington' into it is a complete irrelevance and a wholly unnecessary issue but there must have been some cog-whirring to draw that into a presentation orientated post. Darren has made a very fine achievement (and I'm grateful for the return compliment to this site and its members included in the credits) and with the photography (which I'm still try to put my finger on which maybe related to the reproduction process but I think Chris has achieved a high standard of portrayal of the work and effort that went into it) it has made for something very presentable and of interest to many on this site as I'm sure with many of MR's readers. maybe some people don't like a particular layout (as is their personal choice) but Barry Ten's viewpoint is spot-on as far as I'm concerned and based on the standards shown does not merit implied belittlement because of a personal preference. Perspectives on whether there are too many similar magazines do not actually belong in this topic.

Archived