Model Rail 156 - NEW LOOK

dibber25

Here Here Andy

The team at MR have changed the magazine after we the modellers answered the questions in their survey on the magazine, so if you don't like it then "Sorry".

I for one think they have and are doing a very good job with a difficult subject.

Pete

I'll be the first to admit that I bought this magazine because, and only because, it featured Torrington. I've followed it on here and wanted to see it's presentation in complete state.It's probably only my third piurchase of this title.

Now having encouraged me to buy, the crunch question is - would I buy regularly now? The most honest answer I can give is that whan I see it I'll have a look and decide of there's anything I'm interested in. Before this I'd have passed it by.

But what I've learned from this issue that I wanted to know but didn't know before or had forgotten is:

• Page 14 - pipettes should be bought via ebay in bulk
  • Page 74 - EZ Line - I'd head of it before but had forgotten what it's called
  • Page 85 - reminder that cars need accurate weathering too.
  • Page 86 et seq - bewilderment at the range of track cleaners
  • Page 119 - reminded that Mikes Models stuff is availble from Holt Model Railways.

I'm not saying that it was not an enjoyable read. And it will be retained - for reference.

Now I coiuld spend twenty quid a month buying model rail magazines. It's money I can spend on other things. So it really has to grab me to get it from the shelf to the till.

Ramble over.

Have not seen the mag yetblink.gif as my local newsagent has not got a copy in sad.gif only way i will get a copy is to travel 22 miles into Barnstaple, Smiths! and it got my layout in it ,and i have not even seen it yet!!!!

Darren

• RMweb Gold

I like the update improvements and found nothing negative, the big pictures at the front are especially good, I used to like the gallery in the days when it was the only colour in RM so it's nice to see another title do something equally impressive today considering how slick publishing now is. Full marks to Mr N for the other nice piccies in the articles too ;)

I just wish the sentinel pictures weren't so nice.

Helps that this was a fine issue article wise too.

As far as I know draglines were mostly used for removing overburden and pileing ironstone (or whatever) ready for loading and face shovels for removing the ironstone (or whatever) from the working face and loading. Draglines were also used for direct loading on some operations.

But I'm happy to be proved wrong...

I like it,

It has kept that lively fresh feeling to it. It appears all the 'how to' bits are now grouped in one spot - handy for me as sometimes I don't have the concentration to read those bits through.

On the OTA review, it mentioned in the little +- summary about 'bodyflex', but I don't think it mentioned it in the review ?

Definately still the liveliest read on models.

The new look is certainly evolution rather than revolution, but that's all that is needed as the starting point was pretty good in my view.

Torrington looks very impressive. By the way, here is the real thing.

Chris's review of the Xpress Publishing book on North Devon on page 27 is worth a read. Spot on ;) .

I've had a good look through it this afternoon and Torrington looks very nice - Chris nevard's photos are superb. I'll be honest, I wasn't so fussed about it on here but seeing it in photos like that, it's clear Darren's achieved an awful lot! Was really impressed by it.

The new format is much better - the older arrangement was horribly disorganised and messy but this is much better.

The ironstone article is nice to see but it's a real shame that the Hunslet 50550 tank has been mis-identitified as an Austerity tank. Nice to see that what was thought to be an Austerity wasn't labelled as a J94 but a shame all the same. A detail the caption compleltely missed, yet is a common occurance on idustrial lines in my experience, is the short ending of the sleepers. A typical example of industrial concerns trying to save money!

• RMweb Premium

The new format is much better - the older arrangement was horribly disorganised and messy but this is much better.

I too like the new look. However, I am not a fan of the new scale for rating models bing reviewed. the previous number out of 10 is much clearer than a line with miniscule numbers underneath. But perhaps that is nitpicking.

Just in case anyone else overseas was wondering, I didn't get the free re-railer even though it was printed as being included on the magazine cover. No complaint - some freebies I get, some I don't.

Torrington was a joy to photograph and a great subject to showcase the magazine re-jig. I'm quite keen to point out that the superb hills in the background (International Models I think?) really are part of the layout backdrop and not some tacky Photoshoppery. Like many here I'm really looking forward to seeing Darren's new project develop.

Here is an out take (with 17 more shots like this in the mag btw) - exclusive to RM Web of course....

post-6681-0-90093200-1304339387_thumb.jpg

I have not bought a copy of MR for a while but saw the latest copy at my local model shop and was impressed by the presentation and treated myself,an excellent new look with Torrington an excellent layout deservedly taking pride of place,the look of the rest and content is very good.Liked the revue section very honest and good photos.Keep up this standard and I will be buying regularly .

Archived