Model Rail 156 - NEW LOOK

dibber25

Model Rail 156 hits the streets on April 21. The magazine has been completely re-designed to maintain the momentum of last year's 5.2% circulation increase. The new look is the result of a great deal of research and discussion with readers, experiment, sampling and testing. We're really pleased with it and we're pretty sure you'll like it, too.

Newsagent copies will carry a free Hornby re-railer.

Here's what's coming:

News section including launch of the exclusive Model Rail Sentinel locomotive.

Model of the Month - Heljan 'Lion'

Reviews

Model Mail

Torrington 'OO' layout (photos Chris Nevard)

Carry on Camping (camping coaches)

Crockherbtown 'OO' layout

Masterplan - ironstone quarry

Workbench section - How to solder a wire, make telegraph wires, build N gauge canal basin, Supertest Track Cleaners, make better road vehicles, Q&A, Show & Tell,

Model Rail shop

Competition

Exhibition Diary

(Backscene will return next issue but we hope to be able to post the 'missing' page on rmweb in the meantime)

CHRIS LEIGH

Edited to insert 'Model Mail'

• RMweb Gold

(Backscene will return next issue but we hope to be able to post the 'missing' page on rmweb in the meantime)

CHRIS LEIGH

Now that's what I call servicesmile.gif Hope the revamp is successful and it sounds as if the excellent quality of reviews will be maintained as one of the hallmarks of the mag.

Now that's what I call servicesmile.gif Hope the revamp is successful and it sounds as if the excellent quality of reviews will be maintained as one of the hallmarks of the mag.

Yes, I don't think there's anything that we've ditched from the content that you all know and (seem to) like. It's been about better presentation and leaving no stone unturned rather than changing the actual content. The catchphrase throughout has been 'leave no question unanswered'. Sometimes, as time progresses, you drift away from original concepts and basic principles. I was very aware that we weren't always following the 'If its a kit we build it, if it isn't we take it apart", insofar as we weren't always showing the innards of a new locomotive, for instance. We've looked at that, and we'll be doing it and doing differently, from now on. I should add that I haven't been directly involved in the re-design - it's been down to the rest of the team, who actually do the job, and it has given them the freedom that was needed. My role has been to look, read and comment - an arrangement that seems to have worked well for all of us.

CHRIS LEIGH

I take it "reader's platform" has got the chop then? :(

I quite enjoyed that section...

Looking forward to the revamp regardless.

We don't have 'readers' Platform' - do you mean Model Mail? If so, Model Mail hasn't got the chop - it's in 156 and it'll be in most issues unless there's a last minute squeeze on space that causes things to get bounced.

CHRIS LEIGH

I'll be interested to see the re-vamp and of course Darren's 'Torrington' with Mr N's creativity.

Looking ahead to MR157 Ben and I are discussing making the 2011 Challenge a joint effort which should be announced in 157 if we agree the parameters.

We don't have 'readers' Platform' - do you mean Model Mail? If so, Model Mail hasn't got the chop - it's in 156 and it'll be in most issues unless there's a last minute squeeze on space that causes things to get bounced.

CHRIS LEIGH

Yes, that's the one Chris - sorry, got Steam/Heritage Railway on the brain! :lol:

Good to hear, I look forward to reading the next issue. :)

• RMweb Gold

Looking forward to seeing Darren's Torrington in the next issue! Darren showed me the photos that Chris had taken and wow! we will all be in for a treat. Torrington is as good in the flesh as seen in the photos.

A somewhat cynical viewpoint there. tongue.gif

Magazines have to compete on the shelf and even have to give certain enhanced offers to retailers to guarantee prime positioning. To make a 'freebie' stand out on that shelf it will probably be mounted externally and on the front of the magazine and in a way which may not be conducive to the normal subscription packaging. Yes, there may be ways round it it but which probably involve changing specifications of delivery arrangements for subs copies etc which probably more trouble than it's worth.

• RMweb Premium

Model Rail 156 hits the streets on April 21. The magazine has been completely re-designed .............

................(Backscene will return next issue but we hope to be able to post the 'missing' page on rmweb in the meantime)

CHRIS LEIGH

Edited to insert 'Model Mail'

Sounds interesting Chris, also like the idea of Backscenes on RMWeb!

Regards,

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Postie just arrived in the far southeast - looks a good read. Pleased to see that they have not changed the way the magazine is bound - so much easier to photocopy articles for reference :) .

Note, however, in the Model Rail Shop that the DRS Class 20 has morphed into a Satlink Western van :rolleyes:

Keith

my subscrition copy has arrived complete wth Hornby plastic OO shoe horn. :D

First impressions are good; it's a lot cleaner and easier to follow. I had thought that the design had started to become a little cluttered and messy and feared the worse with more of the same - so I'm pleasantly pleased with the new look. It's a kind of design spring clean and makes things look fresh and clean.

G.

Hi Chris

Looking forward to seeing the new layout. When No.156 is available in New Zealand, will we get the free re-railer too? Or is this just a UK deal? Thanks

I thought they were just going on the newsagent copies, but evidently not. I'm told that rerailers are on 'all' copies, so I guess it's just a case of wait and see. I would have thought the adverse effect on postage would mitigate against them going on overseas copies but equally, there might well be a charge for doing some copies without rerailers and getting them to the right destination, which would be more expensive than paying the postage! Who knows? I'm afraid we in editorial are not usually privy to the detail of what is a marketing department exercise.

CHRIS LEIGH

Plastic shoehorn or not, I just wish that there were not such a disparity in travelling times for subscription copies. In Utopia - not a synonym for Switzerland this time - they would all arrive on the same day to be met by lots of smiling faces.

Chris

Plastic shoehorn or not, I just wish that there were not such a disparity in travelling times for subscription copies. In Utopia - not a synonym for Switzerland this time - they would all arrive on the same day to be met by lots of smiling faces.

Chris

Happily, not something we can do anything about.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Gold

The people who run subscription mailing services on behalf of magazines don't always view the world as you and I might. My recently-discontinued subscription to a leading US magazine used to regularly arrive with clear indications it had travelled far and wide. Milwaukee to France - via New Zealand, every month? Err, ok.....

Archived