Dominion of Canada - Returns to the UK

S.A.C Martin

• RMweb Gold

33001 is the sole surving Q1 and part of the National collection. Up until 2004 she was on loan to the Blubell as 69843 mentioned above, but since then has been back at York on static display.

I had heard rumours that it might have been Mid Hants bound for restoration to running condition, but I think they ended up with '925' Cheltenham instead.

Tom.

Shildon are conducting tours of the workshops this week to allow better access to see the work first hand and I was there yesterday for one. They said it was an apprentice who did it, one of the others has chalked the name "Silver Fox" on the front end leading some people to think it is Silver Fox (If only). Work is progressing well, the tender has the letters fitted on the right hand side to show how they will look when finished, the valences on the right hand side are not on yet. But the chimney is starting to be altered to allow the bell to be refitted.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tom F

Hello all

I was at the NRM today and decided to get some photos of 60008. The colour and finish from Heritage Painting is commendable. A4s have never been my favourite ECML pacific (oddly), but today that opinion of mine may have changed. The work done to the tender is remarkable, I seem to remember seeing the outline clearly of the flush rivets on the tender at Shildon where as now it's completely flush now.

Absolutely wonderful sight. Motion looks a lot better unpainted as do the nameplates! ;)

post-6764-0-02800000-1362175933_thumb.jpg

post-6764-0-81405800-1362175943_thumb.jpg

post-6764-0-27237100-1362175951_thumb.jpg

post-6764-0-27310700-1362175962_thumb.jpg

post-6764-0-96475100-1362175974_thumb.jpg

post-6764-0-22616800-1362175987_thumb.jpg

Great pics Tom.

I think it confirms -to me at any rate - that they look better sans the valances.

However, how much better is that parabolic curve now? The green and the lining out much better too.

It's 60010/4489 I'm most looking forward to though. Single chimney, bell, garter blue. Will be magnificent I am sure.

Guest Tom F

Great pics Tom.

I think it confirms -to me at any rate - that they look better sans the valances.

However, how much better is that parabolic curve now? The green and the lining out much better too.

It's 60010/4489 I'm most looking forward to though. Single chimney, bell, garter blue. Will be magnificent I am sure.

I agree with you very much Simon, the parabolic stands out very much as looking more 'right'. That green is lovely though. I can't wait until 3rd July!

• 3 months later...

Yup booked a few days off work in mid July coming up home and  will be going to York.Taking my grandson and nephew.I can't help feeling without taking the shine off the "Gathering" it would have been nice to have Blue Peter, Scotsman and Tornado there on the sidelines of course!!.

• 3 weeks later...

We wouldn't do anything with them, they are the property of the the USA and Canada and we have to respect that. They were given as a gift, we have no right to take them back.

Dwight D. Eisenhower is looked after whereas we've seen the state of 'DoC' when it arrived; considering it was a gift from a state owned organisation, then I think it's quite OK for us to wonder the fate which awaits 'our' gift when it returns.

Dwight D. Eisenhower is looked after whereas we've seen the state of 'DoC' when it arrived; considering it was a gift from a state owned organisation, then I think it's quite OK for us to wonder the fate which awaits 'our' gift when it returns.

DDE may have appeared in better cosmetic condition but DoC was better under the skin as you will see from earlier posts.

Cheers,

David

Archived