The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

'We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner...'

Rugd1022

I never was a one for Ford cars but that Granada certainly has what can only be described as classic lines. I also remember the Rover 2000 coming out around 1963. As a nine or ten year old I thought it was a stunner. I had the Corgi model with transolite - the B/W photo of the 3500 with the lights on reminded me!

Steve.

That was my favourite too. I can't remember whether it had the 2.8 or the 3.0 six.

best, Pete.

The 2.8 was the unleaded conversion of the 3.0. Fords suffered really badly with the softer valve seats they fitted back then. Unleaded petrol wiped about 20% performance of any engine and the change was not welcomed by many. Engines of this size were relatively unaffected but the 2.0 litre engine was emasculated and replaced with an 1800 that was seriously underpowered for most applications.

One of my later company cars was a Cortina 2.0 GLS with Recaro seats, alloy wheels and a sunroof which made it more expensive than the Ghia. Blinding car though and fast. DLP19Y where are you?

According to the DVLA on-line database unlicensed since 1991 - so probably gone to that great scrapyard in the sky (or sitting in a barn somewhere)

Regarding The Sweeney, watch the Granada taking corners then watch a Rover 2000 tearings its tyres off trying to take the same line.....it has to take a wider curve.....typical Brit crap of its day. The Fords were well ahead on chassis and suspension. As Ford supplied ALL the cars for the programme, one always knows the crooks Jaguar will be written off at the end!:D

Evening Jeff,

Alas no, the Twickers area locations were a couple of posh gaffs in West Temple Sheen and Monroe Drive (in the episode 'Poppy', shown 20/10/75), plus the Winning Post pub on the A316 Chertesy Road (in 'The Placer', shown 13/2/75). Not sure what the programme was that you saw being filmed!

;)

Thanks for the reply - even though it means my claim to "being there" is shot (ha! ha!).

Giving the matter more thought - I left the area in 1969, so it must have been an earlier program.

Thanks anyway,

Returning to obscurity,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

One always knows the crooks Jaguar will be written off at the end!:D

If I recall the Mk 2 Jags frequently used as getaway vehicles in numerous blags were frequently patched up, partially repainted and had a different set of plates fitted so during the course of the series the same Jags kept reappearing!

Routemaster prototype RM3 appeared in a few episodes, most notable 'Trojan Bus' and it is still around. Some of the distant shots of blue and blue/grey EMU's passing through Clapham during the classic opening chase scene in 'Stoppo Driver' are just pure nostalgia now.

It was certainly bril publicity for Ford and amusing to see all the non Ford cars smashed up.:lol: I'm not sure if there are any episodes we haven't seen. The ones with a colour title beginning seem to be few in number compared with those that start in dark blue & white.

Dennis Waterman played a great part and went on to be just as good in 'Minder' in my view. Didnt George Cole out of Minder appear in a Sweeney episide?

It was certainly bril publicity for Ford and amusing to see all the non Ford cars smashed up.:lol: I'm not sure if there are any episodes we haven't seen. The ones with a colour title beginning seem to be few in number compared with those that start in dark blue & white.

Dennis Waterman played a great part and went on to be just as good in 'Minder' in my view. Didnt George Cole out of Minder appear in a Sweeney episide?

Evening Coach,

No, alas there were no 'lost' episodes, everything you see in the various dvd box sets is as it came from Euston Films between 1974 and 78, with nothing missing. However, if you watch the repeats on ITV4 you'll see that many episodes are cut down in places for the spurious reason of 'gratuitous violence', which is rather ironic - when the first episode 'Ringer' was shown last week, the chase scene at Peckam Rye station was cut out, but the bit where Regan and Carter catch up with the villain and give him a mild seeing to is left in!

As for the titles, the famous blue tinted 'stills' sequence showing NHK 295M chasing the S-Type Jag was used for ther first three series, and the 'coloured' film footage shot through a prism lens was only used in series 4 (ie: the last series).

John - you mention the Jags used being Mk2s.... they were all S-Types in The Sweeney ;) . Even NHK 295M itself didn't escape the knocking the Jags received, in a couple of shots in one episode there's a distinct dent in one of the wings, something it's current owner found when stripping it back ready for new metal to be grafted in (it's in the paintshop as I type this).

However, if you watch the repeats on ITV4 you'll see that many episodes are cut down in places for the spurious reason of 'gratuitous violence', which is rather ironic

Completely OT, but it always makes me smile when those subtitles in film trailers warn of 'bloody violence'. I always want to add 'oh, and there's a bit of sodding swearing as well'laugh.gif

Excellent topic, I was just watching the episode of Black Books where manny stays up all night drinking coffee and watching the Sweeney DVD :lol:

All you needed was somone to turn up with a early XJ6, Mk1 ford Transit or s type and you could have gone and had a play on the industrial estate...just avoid any jumps out of shop windows.

I often wondered how many of the film cars still survive..:scratch_one-s_head_mini:

Some of the distant shots of blue and blue/grey EMU's passing through Clapham during the classic opening chase scene in 'Stoppo Driver' are just pure nostalgia now.

I also seem to remember a scene where Regan and Carter are on a piece of waste ground and a class 40 passes by in the background.

Passing trains seemed to have been a regular feature, also on The Professionals. Someone clearly liked to have trains in their shots.:)

Fantastic programmes all. The trains, the demolition site locations and men with womens hair really capture the tacky 1970s.

Excellent topic, I was just watching the episode of Black Books where manny stays up all night drinking coffee and watching the Sweeney DVD :lol:

All you needed was somone to turn up with a early XJ6, Mk1 ford Transit or s type and you could have gone and had a play on the industrial estate...just avoid any jumps out of shop windows.

I often wondered how many of the film cars still survive..:scratch_one-s_head_mini:

It appears only a few motors have survived from the show... NHK 295M the original Consul 3.0, another Mk1 Granada used in later episodes and a Bentley T1 used by one of the villains - this turned up in an auction last year and the owner is currently restoring it back to how it was in The Sweeney ;)

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

The classic episode 'Stoppo Driver' is currently airing on ITV4 complete with that lovely opening pre titles chase with lots of Clapham and Battersea area EMU's around. :drinks:

Pity its been cut to include more adverts :( they even took the classic 'Crap it's the law' and 'shut it' lines out from the opening chase!!

I was just two days old when this episode first aired!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Just discovered this thread.

I liked "the Sweenies" during my londonian period in the summer of '77 and was a great pleasure for me when a couple of years ago a local italian tv showed the (I suppose) complete serie!

Back to my youth!

Archived