New ScotRail Class 380

Evening folkes!

Just popped over to the Railway Centre's website, and the 'Picture of the Day' is Seimens' new class 380 'Desiro' for ScotRails use on its electrified lines. The first end of 380101 is now out and ready, and awaiting livery, whilst its brothers and sisters are being built at the depot in Germany.

For some pictures of this beasty, please go to http://cjm.fotopic.net/c1782641.html

I really wouldn't mind someone bringing this out! Listen up Hornby! lol

Any first thoughts? Im really liking it from the looks! Wouldn't mind a model for Edinburgh Junction.....

Cheers

Jack

Still butt-ugly front end, but that'll match the rest of the fleet bar 320-321s.

Interior should be ideal for Scotrail, the TPX desiros appear to be spartan but hardwearing so should be suitably ned-proof.

Cautious thumbs-up - bye bye 314s.

Sad innit? The government wait just long enough for pretty much all the UK rolling stock manufacturing sites to shut down before placing orders for shedloads of stock. Now they all have to be built in canada, the US, Germany, Spain etc etc etc. Seems you can get trains built almost anywhere in the world except in the country that invented them!

Too much politics there i guess.

Sad innit? The government wait just long enough for pretty much all the UK rolling stock manufacturing sites to shut down before placing orders for shedloads of stock. Now they all have to be built in canada, the US, Germany, Spain etc etc etc. Seems you can get trains built almost anywhere in the world except in the country that invented them!

Too much politics there i guess.

The Pendolinos, the Electrostars and Turbostars were all built in Britain, as are the new Turbostars that are in build now.

• RMweb Premium

Still butt-ugly front end, but that'll match the rest of the fleet bar 320-321s.

Interior should be ideal for Scotrail, the TPX desiros appear to be spartan but hardwearing so should be suitably ned-proof.

Cautious thumbs-up - bye bye 314s.

I agree - it looks so clumsy. With a front end like that I sure the driver will need a second man to assist with observing signals on curves. Sad also that these units are also being built overseas when there was capacity to build in the UK.

Hmm, interesting. I didn't think they could look anywhere near as odd as the intial "artist's impression", but they look exactly like it! Anyone notice the simialrity between this styling and the Powerhaul? laugh.gif

cheers

jo

The Pendolinos, the Electrostars and Turbostars were all built in Britain, as are the new Turbostars that are in build now.

I thought the Pendolinos were largely manufactured in Italy (it was originally a FIAT product), with final assembly and fitting out carried out in Britain, by Alstrom (a French company) at Washwood Heath.

At least the Electrostars/Turbostars are built here, even if they are a Canadian product and use parts from all over Europe. wink.gif

I agree - it looks so clumsy. With a front end like that I sure the driver will need a second man to assist with observing signals on curves.

Don't forget, in those photos the corridor connection is fully extended as it would be only if attached to another unit. Normally it would be fully retracted.

It still looks a bit odd though. blink.gif

Sad also that these units are also being built overseas when there was capacity to build in the UK.

Where?

Bombardier, the only current manufacturer, seem to have their hands full with a continuous stream of Electrostars and Turbostars, not to mention the new London Underground stock. They've recently had trouble keeping up with the delivery schedules too (not entirely their fault though).

Essentially we are now down to two families of new MU coming from two manufacturers, Seimens (German) and Bombardier (Canadian).

That keeps a strong element of competition (especially as other manufactures are also generally put on the short list for new orders), but also retains a high degree of standardisation.

However, Hitachi are the new kid on the block, with their 395's and the prospect of their Super Express Trains (SET), which will be assembled and finished off in the UK, if the order goes ahead !

Trains production here is now like volume car production. Foreign companies with factories on UK soil.

• RMweb Gold

I agree - it looks so clumsy. With a front end like that I sure the driver will need a second man to assist with observing signals on curves.

I believe the gangways are designed to fold back (almost) flush with the front - ie angled back when retracted. Sure i've seen images like that for the initial design, but can't remember where...

EDIT - RonRonRon beat me to it....wink.gif

Well, given the requirement for a corridor connection, the front end was unlikely to ever be anything more than functional - which is fine of course, that's as it should be - but why change the front end design from the successful SWT and London Midland units? Presumably this has something to do with crashworthiness rather than a styling decision?

Adam

I don't think it looks at all bad. A fitting decendant of the Swindon 126s that used to run ayrshire lines. Looks like something with a bit of character

They might upgrade the Ayr lines to 4 trains an hour now that capacity has been freed up on the Glasgow- Paisley section because of the cancellation of GARL.

:icon_wave:

why are we ordering new units with gangways when the gangways were ripped out of the 318's at last overhaul

Rgds

Mark

Mark i was thinking exactly the same thing, where are these units to operate is it just the Ayr line? They look like they might be decent units for the proposed Edinburgh-Newcastle service by ScotRail.

bry

Is it just me, or is there more tumblehome on the sides of the units than other Desiro units? Its most apparent in the first picture shown I think.

I'm wondering if they have redesigned the body profile so that they can use it as a candidate to replace the PEP-based EMUs when that contract goes out to tender in a few years time.

Paul

Mark i was thinking exactly the same thing, where are these units to operate is it just the Ayr line? They look like they might be decent units for the proposed Edinburgh-Newcastle service by ScotRail.

bry

Seem to recall that they will be on the Ayr line and new Airdrie-Bathgate line. 334 and 318 units freed from the Ayrshire lines will move to North Clyde, and the 320s will come across to the Cathcart Circle to oust the 314s.

I don't follow the news all that closely, but that was the latest I read. I think any GARL order would have been separate.

Believe the loss of gangways on 318s was seen as no great problem when the 314,320 and 334 classes had no inter-unit gangways either for when running as 6-car sets. Perhaps the longer runs which the new units will be employed on make the gangways more useful.

One can only presume that with gangways fitted to 156, 158 and previously 318 units that they're no huge problem, given appropriate driver knowledge.

On the British-build front, remember how successful the 334s were on introduction? Dare say Shields Rd will be hoping for a more successful launch of the new sets.

Don't forget, in those photos the corridor connection is fully extended as it would be only if attached to another unit. Normally it would be fully retracted.

It still looks a bit odd though.

Reminds me of an accordion. Perhaps First ScotRail should ask Phil Cunningham to play at the official launch.

• 7 months later...

Archived