Cannon St-Hastings train, with 1206, a reformed unit:

post-6971-12585766138176_thumb.jpg

5732 leading a train in to a packed rush-hour platform

post-6971-12585766211611_thumb.jpg

Oxted line rush hour train with a 33 and Mk1s

post-6971-12585766284092_thumb.jpg

and the rush-hour view out to the country. Identifiable are 5243, 5433, 5757:

post-6971-12585766353037_thumb.jpg

Many thanks for all the fantastic pic posted - they show quite an unexpected number of loco hauled trains. And for the offers of help and assistance - no doubt I'll be taking you up on specifics in the future as development progresses.

G.

Nice pics. Far more interesting then than it is today. Its my daily destination and its really boring. I really feel for the spotters on the SET platforms. 4 boring white classes of EMU with the odd First Crapital purple thing. Although the 465 and 466s are slowly losing their skirting. About 1 in 5 units are running without them now.

Nice pics. Far more interesting then than it is today.

Ta. Strangely enough, it seemed pretty boring then, too - worth a trip in the rush hour to underline some numbers in a book (or take "busy" photos), but for someone from Kent, it was just a place you passed through on the way to somewhere more interesting. All relative I suppose.

As for the locos - possibly two East Grinstead and one Uckfield services per rush hour, and the parcels trains were just luck.

The Gatwick Express was a trial run (a public one though - I had a tip-off and had a ride on that one I photo'd). I think they at one point expected to use London Br as an alternative if Victoria was blocked. Don't know if that ever happened once the service was up and running though.

The Gatwick Express was a trial run (a public one though - I had a tip-off and had a ride on that one I photo'd). I think they at one point expected to use London Br as an alternative if Victoria was blocked. Don't know if that ever happened once the service was up and running though.

I work in a building overlooking the line into London Bridge. Every morning, just after 9am, I see a set of the 442's that are now running some of the Gatwick Express services running country-bound. Possibly a route/traction learning, probably empty. But thought I'd mention it.

I happen to like the old 'plastic pigs' and think they're very much underrated stock, so it's nice to see them being used still.

I'd be grateful to see pics of London Bridge station in the 80s and 90s.

G.

Have you watched the British Transport Films (Vol 3): Running a Railway which has Operation London Bridge (1975), a short documentary about the rebuilding of London Bridge? Lots of close up views of platforms etc.

There's a few good videos of London Birdge in that era on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECxIBdJqSbo

There's also a couple of longer features on Network Southeast that include footage of London Bridge

A day in the Life of NSE

NSE BBC Inside Story - Old, Dirty and Late http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-peIDOiTt8

Hope they are of use

Paul

• RMweb Premium

I work in a building overlooking the line into London Bridge. Every morning, just after 9am, I see a set of the 442's that are now running some of the Gatwick Express services running country-bound. Possibly a route/traction learning, probably empty. But thought I'd mention it.

I happen to like the old 'plastic pigs' and think they're very much underrated stock, so it's nice to see them being used still.

There is an Eastbourne - London Bridge service in the morning that uses them, and a reverse one in the evening peak. Ironically neither stops at Gatwick.

They are a nightmare - very slow to load at busy stations and almost never keep to time which is a real headache trying to make the Hastings connection at Hampden Park. I'd rather they stayed on the scrap line to be honest.

• 2 years later...

Archived